Likes Likes:  0
Results 1 to 17 of 17

Thread: Dugast Coupe du Mondes

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    NY & MN
    Posts
    3,889
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Dugast Coupe du Mondes

    I just ran across the Dugast Coupe du Mondes model which sounds like it has a more durable sidewall than previous models.

    Milwaukee Bicycle Co. has a silk version of the Typhoon with the red sidewalls that is predictable spendy. World Class Cycles doesn't have them.

    Does anyone know any further details? On first glance this looks like a step in the right direction for Dugast. If I can get Rhinos that last more than one or two race seasons I'll hand over my card right now. I bet lots of other people will, too.

     

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Coquitlam, British Columbia
    Posts
    7,958
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Is more than 1 season really a priority in a race tire?

    -g
     

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    NY & MN
    Posts
    3,889
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GrantM View Post
    Is more than 1 season really a priority in a race tire?

    -g
    At $250 or so a pair for three pairs of wheels, that comes out to $750/year in race-only tires. We all draw the line somewhere, and my line is somewhere below that.
     

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    1,311
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Milwaukee Bicycle is my lbs great guys
     

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Dresher, PA
    Posts
    1,724
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post
    At $250 or so a pair for three pairs of wheels, that comes out to $750/year in race-only tires. We all draw the line somewhere, and my line is somewhere below that.
    3 wheelsets? Is this for different conditions or something? I can't imagine needing that many...as it is I don't even keep a pair of wheels in the pits. No flats, no rolled tires using challenge grifos in 2 seasons here. Not saying you don't have your reasons, but I'm curious as to why...
     

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    NY & MN
    Posts
    3,889
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SeanEasley View Post
    3 wheelsets? Is this for different conditions or something?
    Different conditions:
    1) File treads (e.g. Grifo XS, FMB Sprint) for dry, fast courses
    2) Chevron treads (e.g. Grifos, Typhoons, FMB SSC) for days when it's neither dusty nor sloppy
    3) Pure mud tires for mud (e.g. Rhinos, Cubuses)

    You can get by with #2 80% of the time, but the other 20% you'll really miss either #1 or #3.
     

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Dresher, PA
    Posts
    1,724
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I kinda figured as much...I purchased some file treads this year thinking what better place to try them out than the relativelydry conditions in NC. I just never even got the nerve to use them for the few spots on the course where they might have the most advantage. I found that the all-rounder cornered best even on dry grass. The few guys I heard talking about file treads just said they were kind of un-predictable in corners, even dry ones. I'd love to have the nerve to try them, just couldn't justify the risk!
     

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Coquitlam, British Columbia
    Posts
    7,958
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post
    At $250 or so a pair for three pairs of wheels, that comes out to $750/year in race-only tires. We all draw the line somewhere, and my line is somewhere below that.
    I hear you... but what the delta between what a cheaper/longer lasting tire costs
    and the Dugast? If you're in for $$$ already, it's only one $ more, right?

    -g
     

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    NY & MN
    Posts
    3,889
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GrantM View Post
    I hear you... but what the delta between what a cheaper/longer lasting tire costs
    and the Dugast? If you're in for $$$ already, it's only one $ more, right?

    -g
    Well, let's say Challenges cost $200/pair and last three seasons. To shoe three sets of wheels for three years we're talking $600.

    If the Dugasts lasted like the Challenges, it would be $750 for three years.

    If the Dugasts only last a single season, three years worth is $2250. So, that's $1650 more than Challenges, or $1500 more than a new, durable Dugast.

    People blow $1500 on far worse things than bike tires. I think it's a great idea, at least for other people. But, $1500 will buy a lot of good beer, and I'd rather have great beer and good tires than great tires and skanky beer. That's just me and my arbitrary reasoning.

    And, I threw out my Aquaseal. Tires should come ready to mount and ride.
     

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Coquitlam, British Columbia
    Posts
    7,958
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post
    That's just me and my arbitrary reasoning.
    no, i didn't think it was arbitrary... i just thought most guys glued up new tubbies each cross season.
    The Challenge tires i've seen are much softer compound when new, they seem to dry out
    and get stiffer as they age, losing a lot of grip. Non?

    -g
     

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    NY & MN
    Posts
    3,889
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GrantM View Post
    no, i didn't think it was arbitrary... i just thought most guys glued up new tubbies each cross season.
    The Challenge tires i've seen are much softer compound when new, they seem to dry out
    and get stiffer as they age, losing a lot of grip. Non?

    -g
    Probably some, but I don't think it's huge under the weight of a bike and rider. Also, I'm not after the Dugasts for the casing. It's the Rhino tread pattern that puts me in a tizzy.
     

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Arlington, VA
    Posts
    917
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post
    Well, let's say Challenges cost $200/pair and last three seasons. To shoe three sets of wheels for three years we're talking $600.

    If the Dugasts lasted like the Challenges, it would be $750 for three years.

    If the Dugasts only last a single season, three years worth is $2250. So, that's $1650 more than Challenges, or $1500 more than a new, durable Dugast.

    People blow $1500 on far worse things than bike tires. I think it's a great idea, at least for other people. But, $1500 will buy a lot of good beer, and I'd rather have great beer and good tires than great tires and skanky beer. That's just me and my arbitrary reasoning.

    And, I threw out my Aquaseal. Tires should come ready to mount and ride.
    I hit the link for giggles. This vendor wants 180 bucks per tire (well, 179.99). That seems like it's 360 bucks per pair. Which is fine, if somebody wants to go for it. But I think I was paying about 60 bucks per Grifo tubular (we had a better price for a while there on fangos). 120 bucks or so for a pair of tires versus 360 . . .
     

  13. #13
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    DC
    Posts
    19,539
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    These are not your father's Dugasts. Take a pass.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Asheville, NC
    Posts
    3,225
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I've got a pair of latex coated FMB's here--I think they'll hold up much better to moisture than the cotton sidewalls.

    TT is right about the Duggies atmo...
    laughter has no foreign accent.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    NY & MN
    Posts
    3,889
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Too Tall View Post
    These are not your father's Dugasts. Take a pass.
    Quote Originally Posted by musgravecycles View Post
    TT is right about the Duggies atmo...
    Could either of you elaborate your points a little bit? What's changed?
     

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    3,215
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post
    Could either of you elaborate your points a little bit? What's changed?
    from what i can tell, the problem with dugast is that nothing changes. they update and improve treads but you still need to spend more time caring for them than you spend caring for a young child.

    challenge don't require aquaseal, fmb come sealed already, and both of them offer treads to compete with most of the dugast options for a lot less money. of all the tubular flats i witnessed or heard about this season it seemed like the majority were dugasts. and that's saying something because the majority of people are not riding dugasts.
     

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Arlington, VA
    Posts
    917
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by musgravecycles View Post
    I've got a pair of latex coated FMB's here--I think they'll hold up much better to moisture than the cotton sidewalls.

    TT is right about the Duggies atmo...
    The ones I got through you have held up great, btw.
     

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •