Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: dual platform pedals

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: dual platform pedals

I think you don’t see more of them among roadies because they are an imperfect solution. Both sides of the pedal are a compromise to true bliss. I have Shimano dual sided (one side is SPD the other a platform) pedals on my rando commuter because I occasionally just hop on and go to the store or take a kid to play basketball.

The cleat side works fine as long as it stops cleat side up when you stop at a light or something. Sometimes it rotates a bit and requires some fiddling to clip back in. Not life ending but more frustrating than if then clips were on both sides. The platform is small. I find myself twisting my foot a bit to get properly centered on the pedal and, even then, a large part of my shoe is hanging off the side. It’s enough of a deterrent to make me go back to get my riding shoes unless I’m going somewhere that I absolutely need regular shoes and soles.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sk_tle View Post
    I have some Time MX4 or MX6* pedals and they are a nice size inbetween so called trail pedals and full blown DH/enduro ones. I used to ride the same bike either clipped or using sneakers.

That said I recently switched to One Up platform pedals on both my gravel/commuter/MTB and I am not sure I want to clip again.

* not sure, I simply know they are not the more expensives high end models
    Those are good candidates too. Do they have lateral float like the road xpressos? I've always been curious to try that feature, I think my pedalling would benefit from that extra float.

Quote Originally Posted by rec head View Post
    Couple of questions:

1) What is the point of the one sided SPD pedal like the A520 that doesn't have a platform on the non-clip side?

2) As long as the shoe has a good sole how important is the size of the contact patch for road riding?

As for riding unclipped on SPD pedals I have tried it mountain biking many times and it was never safer. After the first time my feet slipped off the pedals I should have stopped. I finally came to the conclusion that I should be clipped in or riding flats. I have flats on my gravel bike right now.
    1) Supposedly the extra contact surface compared with a MTB pedal. But since I learned about the enduro pedals, I want to inform myself better. As trying everything would be economically impossible, I'm gathering as much info as possible to take a decision.
    2) I can't answer that, I only know what marketing tells us. More pedal surface is better for long distance. On the contrary side, super stiff soles are not the most walkable either. It's difficult to find the best compromise.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobonli View Post
    I think you donít see more of them among roadies because they are an imperfect solution. Both sides of the pedal are a compromise to true bliss. I have Shimano dual sided (one side is SPD the other a platform) pedals on my rando commuter because I occasionally just hop on and go to the store or take a kid to play basketball.

The cleat side works fine as long as it stops cleat side up when you stop at a light or something. Sometimes it rotates a bit and requires some fiddling to clip back in. Not life ending but more frustrating than if then clips were on both sides. The platform is small. I find myself twisting my foot a bit to get properly centered on the pedal and, even then, a large part of my shoe is hanging off the side. Itís enough of a deterrent to make me go back to get my riding shoes unless Iím going somewhere that I absolutely need regular shoes and soles.
    I have that same problem fiddling to clip back in with my pedals, although I assume any road pedal would have that problem. I was considering dual pedals because while touring I find repeated conditions (let's say 10% of the time) where I would prefer not to clip. On those occasions it would be of great help to have a platform (doesn't need to be huge of very grippy) until I'm again in the open and pedalling fully clipped.
    I know every person and situation are different, I just want to hear pros and cons to every option, if possible.

Thanks again to everyone for your replies, they are of great help.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by nachetetm View Post
    Those are good candidates too. Do they have lateral float like the road xpressos? I've always been curious to try that feature, I think my pedalling would benefit from that extra float.
    Yes.
    --
    T h o m a s

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have a pair of these on my mountain bike:

and a pair of these on my city commuter:

The former are good on the mtb wherein if you miss a clip in right before a super technical section, you can still hang on to dear life while on a slightly bigger platform, but they're not that comfortable to pedal on in running shoes.

The latter pedal with the big plastic cage is not half-bad in non-spd shoes. In spd shoes, the big cage can make float a bit stiffer depending on the size of the lugs on your sole. I say half-bad in normal shoes because if you have soft soled shoes, you can feel the front bump of the clip-in mechanism underfoot. Also, the platform is super slippery in wet or cold weather, or if you're in really stiff soled shoes. I wouldn't want to do a long ride on them.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have a pair of those times and really like them.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Time MX has been in my radar for a while, it seems that I don't have excuses to try them now.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Time MX has been in my radar for a while, it seems that I don't have excuses to try them now.
    I see you are in spain I could send you mine for a test if you want as I am currently not using them (but not really keen on parting out permanently right now).
    --
    T h o m a s

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I see you are in spain I could send you mine for a test if you want as I am currently not using them (but not really keen on parting out permanently right now).
    That would be lovely, thanks!. Where are you located?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That would be lovely, thanks!. Where are you located?
    MŠlaga

We'll have to wait for the end of the lockdown obviously, I'm not even sure private parcel would be shipped right now and don't really want to go to the postoffice.
    --
    T h o m a s

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

MŠlaga

We'll have to wait for the end of the lockdown obviously, I'm not even sure private parcel would be shipped right now and don't really want to go to the postoffice.
    Yes, don't go to the post office now. Tbh, even if I had the pedals here it's not like I can go for a ride and test them :D
    Thanks again!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've tried a few different platform/SPD pedals over the years. I find that they can be really great on a commuter/gravel/grocery/town/fender bike. The sort of bike you need to ride to a restaurant or the grocery store a couple times a week, while also being able to go out and do a proper ride on the weekend. Switching pedals is a pain and some of us don't have room for more than a few bikes, so we need that multi-function capability in one of our bikes.

I have mostly used Wellgo pedals and the best so far has been the WPD-95B. They ain't pretty, or small, or light, but they actually work properly and are unkillable. I'm probably 4 years into these things so far and they have given me zero issues and have required zero maintenance. The platform is large enough that riding in non-spd shoes is fine. I have a set of Wellgo C317s as well and they look better, but the platform is a bit too small (not totally horrible though). The R120B is useless as the platform is so tiny; you can only ride 2-3km on them before they start to feel uncomfortable. I wear size 12US shoes, so those with smaller feet may find the smaller platformed pedals better than I have.
    - Brad Comis

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by WheelNut View Post
    I've tried a few different platform/SPD pedals over the years. I find that they can be really great on a commuter/gravel/grocery/town/fender bike. The sort of bike you need to ride to a restaurant or the grocery store a couple times a week, while also being able to go out and do a proper ride on the weekend. Switching pedals is a pain and some of us don't have room for more than a few bikes, so we need that multi-function capability in one of our bikes.

I have mostly used Wellgo pedals and the best so far has been the WPD-95B. They ain't pretty, or small, or light, but they actually work properly and are unkillable. I'm probably 4 years into these things so far and they have given me zero issues and have required zero maintenance. The platform is large enough that riding in non-spd shoes is fine. I have a set of Wellgo C317s as well and they look better, but the platform is a bit too small (not totally horrible though). The R120B is useless as the platform is so tiny; you can only ride 2-3km on them before they start to feel uncomfortable. I wear size 12US shoes, so those with smaller feet may find the smaller platformed pedals better than I have.
    Those WPD-95B are so cheap that it is worth buying them just for when I bikepack. Replacing them is a matter of minutes.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Since I wrote the response below, my Shimano pedals died due to lack of maintenance. About five years ago, I replaced them with the Xpedo Traverse Duo, now updated and called the TRVS Duo. It is a far superior pedal to the Shimano, mostly because of the pins. I now have excellent grip with all my street shoes and the SPD clips work flawlessly. Highly recommended.

TRVS DUO – XPEDO

Quote Originally Posted by pdxharth View Post
    I use the A-530 daily and I like it. They get commuter use and many before-or-after-work workouts, plus longer rides through Forest Park and even a brevet earlier this year. All good. The grip could be better when using street shoes, but the platform size is right and they are comfortable. They work seamlessly with spd's.

Harth
    Wabi Woolens - Quality Wool Cycling Jerseys
    Harth Huffman
    www.wabiwoolens.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by pdxharth View Post
    Since I wrote the response below, my Shimano pedals died due to lack of maintenance. About five years ago, I replaced them with the Xpedo Traverse Duo, now updated and called the TRVS Duo. It is a far superior pedal to the Shimano, mostly because of the pins. I now have excellent grip with all my street shoes and the SPD clips work flawlessly. Highly recommended.

TRVS DUO – XPEDO
    And back to my original candidate :DDD
    It's good to know they are good.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Time now has a Easy out cleat. Plus they also have a dual sided pedal called the link.
    Time ATAC Easy Cleats 1deg Cleats PEDALS 218/219

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Similar to Harth's experience, I have the Shimano M324s and they are OK but not great when conditions are damp (e.g., normal).

I just switched them out for Shimano EH-500 pedals, which offer MUCH better traction on the non-cleat side. I'm crediting the pins.
    Dan Fuller, local bicycle enthusiast

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I use the PD-A530s for touring, especially mixed surface touring. A lot easier to walk in MTB shoes when you're in and out of coffee shops, grocery stores, bathrooms, etc. And for rides like RAGRBAI, where you're walking your bike through every small town, it just makes sense. Also makes it easier to just hop on with your sandals for those late-night beer runs.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12