User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: DT Swiss PR 1400 DiCut OXIC reviews?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default DT Swiss PR 1400 DiCut OXIC reviews?

I know a few folks have picked up a pair of these wheels. Would love to hear about people's experience vis-a-vis other wheelsets.

DT-Swiss_PR1400-OXiC-Dicut_light-aluminum-alloy-road-wheels_rim-600x450.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: DT Swiss PR 1400 DiCut OXIC reviews?

I made some comments in another thread after my first few rides: input on wheel choices...reynolds attack or fulcrum racing zero (nite)

I have another 5-6 rides on them at this point and I'm going to keep on adding miles to see how they hold up to regular wear and tear before making a final decision. I remain very impressed and very happy with the purchase. They look great, ride great, and if they are as durable as I hope them to be I'll have a new favorite wheel for every day riding.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ditto

I'm loving them, especially climbing. Fantastic braking.

The pads seem to be wearing fast and blue. Will see how long until they need replacement but seems faster than regular pads.

Pretty damn good value for under $800 shipped from Germany

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

And I forgot...you get a free hat!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Consider me intrigued! Been looking for an off-the-shelf equivalent to the DT Swiss Mon Chasseral 1450s I bought 7 years ago, and this just might tick all the boxes.

Two questions: Do they require special brake pads? And, are they available for Campy freehubs? (The DT website only explicitly mentioned Shimano 11-speed freehubs.)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Ross View Post
    Two questions: Do they require special brake pads? And, are they available for Campy freehubs? (The DT website only explicitly mentioned Shimano 11-speed freehubs.)
    Yes to special brake pads. A set is included, though I haven't looked to see how easy it is to find replacements. No to campy freehub as far as I can tell. My campy friends have been looking and it seems like you have to buy the wheels and a DT campy freehub separately. I haven't looked myself, though.

I used them on a 6 hour hammerhead ride yesterday. Hard enough that I matched my best 20minute effort. Wind blowing 15-25mph. A bunch of sprints to close gaps or attack. Basically a really hard day. The wheels were awesome. I really hope the brake track lasts.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The "special" brake pads are commonly available Swiss Stop BXPs (Blue). No off the shelf Campy option, but the free hub can be swapped in seconds by hand. Instead of buying a $100 Campy free hub, I said "Hey, I can get a set of DT350 Campy hubs for $250. It's like getting a set of DT350 Shimano hubs for $150." (This might not be a selling point ) A couple of other nice things, they come pre taped and a tubeless kit and titanium RWS skewers are included.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The DT website lists HWYABX00S1296S as the freehub/rotor for the Oxic wheels, but searches using this number describes the freehub/rotor as for the 240. So 240=HWYABX00S1296S=Oxic??

Just trying to make sure same is same.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not sure what you're asking, but I swapped a Campy free hub body from a 350 hub onto the DiCut hub, and put the Shimano body on the 350 hub with no problems. The body from the DiCut hub is unique in that it does have the OXIC coating.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Ross View Post
    And, are they available for Campy freehubs? (The DT website only explicitly mentioned Shimano 11-speed freehubs.)
    Shimano and campy 11 cassettes are so interchangeable these days that it is not an issue imho.
    --
    T h o m a s

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Never mind. Figured it out.

HWYABX00S1296S is the correct rotor for switching a Shimano rotor over to a Campagnolo rotor.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Eastern Vermont, White River Junction-Hanover, NH area
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How close are these wheels to the DT rr21 Dicut wheels, that don't have the Oxic coating and use regular brake pads? Is the only difference the coating?

If so, I might consider those wheels and not have to deal with needing special ceramic pads for running these wheels. (I swap wheels among several frames a fair bit.)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by thomas View Post
    How close are these wheels to the DT rr21 Dicut wheels, that don't have the Oxic coating and use regular brake pads? Is the only difference the coating?

If so, I might consider those wheels and not have to deal with needing special ceramic pads for running these wheels. (I swap wheels among several frames a fair bit.)
    Looks like you might be correct. It seems they are also lighter.

DT Swiss - Road race wheel
    Review: DT Swiss RR21 Dicut Wheelset | road.cc

DT Swiss - Clincher road wheel
    Review: DT Swiss PR 14 Dicut OXiC performance road wheel | road.cc
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Eastern Vermont, White River Junction-Hanover, NH area
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The problem (if you want to call it that) is that you can't find the rr21 Dicut wheels anywhere, outside of maybe Bike24 in Germany. Why is that?
    And for the price, I wonder if the DA c24 wheels are a better offering. Without the oxic coating, the two wheels (c24 and rr21) are somewhat similar.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by j44ke View Post
    Looks like you might be correct. It seems they are also lighter.
    I'd take the better looks over the lighter weight.

I'm supposed to, finally, get my review set this week. I'll believe it when I see it, though...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've had this for about a couple of months now - roughly 500Kms. I found a shop willing to swap the rotor from Shimano to Campagnolo and provide the SwissStop BXP blue pads for Campy. Here are my initial impressions:
    Look - They look great and very stealthy. Excellent finishing.
    Mounting tires - I am using Schwalbe One 25mm tubeless. It was harder to get the tires to seat when compared to my 2010 Campagnolo Shamal two-ways. In fact, the rear one took quite some effort to get seated (I dont own a compressor). If this had been my first ever experience with tubeless, I would have seriously questioned whether I would be willing to live with it. My experiences with Campagnolo's two-way fit have been superior (mostly with Hutchinson and Schwalbe). I tried Orange Seal and Schwalbe BlueDoc with the DT Swiss wheels and BlueDoc ended up doing the trick (takes more effort to build a seal on the sidewalls it seems).
    Ride feel - They are incredibly smooth. The freehub sound is great - it is not loud at all (although maybe still breaking in?). I felt very confident descending on these wheels. No noticeable flex when sprinting or hard efforts. Very solid and smooth. Climbing with these wheels is comparable to my Campy Shamals which I rate very highly.
    Braking - With the supplied BXP SwissStop pads, braking is very good. However, the wear on the pads is nuts. As someone else has mentioned - fast wear and very blue (as in, there is blue dust build-up everywhere). After 500Km, I am within 1mm of the wear limit on these pads (they are setup properly and toed-in; I do ride in hilly areas with some punchy gradients). I have already purchased a new set of brake pads but I am willing to give up a little on the braking if I can get away with "normal" pads and better wear - I have never experienced this kind of wear in the past. Finally, I have not ridden these in the rain so I cant comment on wet breaking.

Overall, I do like the wheels and would recommend them. It was a hard decision to not go for the new Campagnolo Shamals and the deciding factor was the OXIC treatment on the rim for the all-black look. I am hoping the tubeless mounting experience improves (will try some other tires next) and perhaps the braking needed a brake-in period - will see if the next set of pads wear just as fast.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Being the OP, I should share my experience after 500+ miles. I started this thread in part to confirm positive reviews and understand others firsthand experience.

1. Build quality - very high. I have 3 road tubeless wheelsets, two handbuilt sets by J Parfitt using the Alchemy (now Wheels Mfg) hubs and Boyd Altamont Lites. Plus I've handled lots of Mavic, Fulcrum and Campy wheels over the years. At a minimum, the PR1400 are their equal if not their better. The end caps and freehub body fit with noticeable precision.

2. Aesthetics - If all black is your thing, these look amazing. As in the photo above, the OXIC coating is a dark grey with minimal logos. The OXIC coating is applied to the spokes and hubs making for a nice consistency to the overall appearance.

3. Ride quality - I hesitate to qualify this aspect but my perception (using the same Schwalbe ONE microskin tubeless tires in 25c) is that the PR1400 provide a noticeable solidity. They are likely a 100 grams heavier but their 'reactivity' more than compensates for that. The rear hub uses the 36 tooth star ratchet, so engagement is immediate. It's a little thing and likely has modest impact on performance but adds to the feeling of solidity.

4. Braking - similar to standard alloy brake tracks though the modulation is improved. The sense of improved modulation may be down to the BXP pads? As others have noted, the pad material is quite soft, so tradeoff for the excellent braking response is quicker wear. After more than 500 miles, the front pads are nearly halfway to the minimal wear line the rear pads have little wear. In an effort to test their limits, I've been braking later and harder so the wear may result from a combination of 'bedding in' and harder stops. The OXIC ceramic material does generate a lot of blue dust which collects along the tire bead. It cleans up easy but its always there. (No rain, so no wet braking experience to share)

5. Extras - the wheelset included a number of 'extras'. They arrived with the tubeless tape in place, a set of generic tubeless valves, the Swiss Stop BXP pads, the excellent DT Swiss RWS skewers and a cap. In addition, there was a DT Swiss branded Milkit kit which included 'one-way' tubeless valves and a syringe system for adding sealant. The syringe kit and 'one-way' valve allows for measuring the amount of sealant left in the tire eliminating one of the hassles associated with tubeless tires.

For a myriad of reasons I have never been a fan of factory-built wheels. But the PR1400 Oxic have me reconsidering that bias. Had these wheels reached the market a few years back, I wager we'd be seeing a lot fewer carbon (clincher) wheelsets on the road. The PR1400s offer a similar look with better braking at a much better price. I am considering getting a second set!
    Last edited by one60; 08-03-2017 at 10:09 AM. Reason: poor proof-reading

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Good reviews guys. I haven't had the same brakepad wear, but I've only ridden them on the flats, so pads could last a lifetime. My experience otherwise has been pretty similar. My short assessment is that I'm happy enough with them that I'll almost definitely be buying a second set in the near future. Two thumbs up!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nice reviews. Thanks both.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by one60 View Post
    (No rain, so no wet braking experience to share)
    ...says the guy from Seattle. Okay, yeah, sure.

:)