Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Dropout Spacing Q

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Dropout Spacing Q

I am looking to downsize my steel cx racer. Just got my hands on a nice 55 square Kelly Knobby X for a great deal. Do not care about the 1" headset b/c I have a steel fork, etc. However, I completely overlooked the 135mm rear spacing...damn.

I have lots of 130 wheels (Mavic, Shimano, King). Any issues (besides a bit of a pain in the ass wheel change) in pinching the 135 down to the 130 hubs? The Ultegra seems to work ok, maybe a bit easier than the Kings... Frame pinches quite nicely, just concerned. It will be raced and ridden hard.

Thanks,

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

that seems like a lot of pinch to me but steel is pretty elastic. How well do the dropouts line up parallel to each other?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by th_boone View Post
    I am looking to downsize my steel cx racer. Any issues (besides a bit of a pain in the ass wheel change) in pinching the 135 down to the 130 hubs?
    Why not reset the dropoutspacing and realign the dropouts. Much easier on you and on the bearing alignment

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

king has an end cap that will just screw on that's 5 millimeters longer, you'll need to re-dish your wheel, but that's an easy solution. or if you don't want to redish, just run it off center! i even have an end cap. yours for the price of postage if it ends up being over a $1. the part is usually $10. :)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by hokoman View Post
    king has an end cap that will just screw on that's 5 millimeters longer, you'll need to re-dish your wheel, but that's an easy solution. or if you don't want to redish, just run it off center! i even have an end cap. yours for the price of postage if it ends up being over a $1. the part is usually $10. :)
    Do this. It's so easy, 15 bucks for a redish at the LBS if you don't want to do it yourself, no monkeying around with the frame. This is a great feature of the Kings.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

HOKOMAN, Pm Sent.

The frame is pretty elastic. True Temper OX tubing, Ritchey dropouts. Seem that they are still fairly parallel. I am not in favor of pinching the frame and am still considering selling the thing.

I will get the wheel (s) redished. My Kings are tubulars and are race only, so to speak. So, may just see b/w my Ksyriums and Ultegra wheelsets, which will be better for everyday.

Heads up. I will be selling my Serotta HSG Cross with a 57.5 tt OR the Kelly OR both (if I can find something else suitable in a 55-56TT). Also, my girlfriends 07 Giant TCX Frame Medium.