User Tag List

Thread: Drone Photography

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Drone Photography

After watching the youtube of Ride Japan that PDAR posted with the drone shots, does anyone have a recommendation of a good drone/camera set up for filming bikes, skiiing, etc etc...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Drone Photography

DC Rainmaker has been covering drones for a while. Heís into details so I expect he does a pretty good job explaining the plus minuses.

I saw drones up here for the first time last summer. You can pretty quickly get in trouble if you donít know the regulations - and even if you do and local law enforcement doesnít. Mostly real estate agents using them up here Iím told.
    Last edited by j44ke; 02-20-2021 at 12:32 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

DJI is a brand I see people using on Instagram and Youtube. And I found this, it looks like a clever bit of ad-journalism. I'm sure there's probably a backcountry/outdoorsy-specific drone message board!

I've gone down the video gear rabbit hole twice. As much as I like the end result, the editing to get a good result is a time-toilet and I feel like I'm an outsider to my own experience by futzing with the camera when I should be enjoying the ride. The drone adds complexity and distraction; a lot more can go wrong if you're not paying attention to it (many videos of people getting cut by rotors because they couldn't control it.) And of course figuring out where you can fly it legally takes research.

If money and time were no object....if it's good enough for Renan Ozturk....

Apparently you can buy lessons too....though funny thing stands out about this guy: a couple of years ago he posted an IG video of one of his first flights where he plopped it into a lake, IIRC!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I popped into the DJI store in Reykjavik a couple years ago- really cool stuff.

I think they're pretty simple, once you get the hang of them. For biking etc. there is a follow mode that'll just keep pace with you. It'd be pretty fun to have that on a gravel ride out in Loudoun County around here, etc.
    my name is Matt

INSTA

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Check out Skydio drones for something to follow you while bicycling. You put a beacon in your jersey packet and it tracks you. I've watched some videos and reviews of guys using these on motorcycles and the results are pretty impressive. For roughly $1000 you get something that gives you 4k image quality and automates a lot of the tracking features.
    Dan Bare

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

you want a dji mavic air 2...done

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^^ This.
    laughter has no foreign accent.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^^ This this.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My daughter got one for Christmas, and it is pretty cool... I admit before I saw her enthusiasm for it, I was not too interested. I don't remember the name off-hand, but just wanted to say, regarding needing to research regulations and no-fly zones and stuff, her drone has little alerts that appear on the screen when you're doing something you're not supposed to do/going somewhere you're not supposed to go.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This was released today by DJI and looks like a fun toy.
    Dan Bare

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Aren't dji phoning home every single position of your drone ?

That would be a big no to me.
    --
    T h o m a s

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Additionnally I used to have a drone and a third party app that added some follow-me function. I soon realized that carrying a drone, as lightweight as it is in a 3h ride/hike/ski only to have 20 to 30minutes of fly time isn't particularly nice. Also you tend to get distracted and/or overly think about it instead of your regular activity, add to that the fear of losing it. It is however nice to film cliffs, mountains or monuments from a different spot but again you tend to get distracted by where and when you should operate your drone instead of actually enjoying your visit. Like photography but worse.

I am glad I didn't pay for my drone, best mate owned 2 DJI mavic drones and he used it a lot in the early days but now he reverted mostly taking shots with his go-pro which actually fit in a real pocket. They are now collecting dust like most people's drones.

I think this is one of the few activities you enjoy more when doing professionnally, because you can then more easily ustify buying the heavy high end stuff and have unexpected possibly challenging stuff to deal with, than using the recreative stuff in your week-ends.

These days I would actually be more interested in building my own drone as a DIY project using some arduino stuff and parts more than buying a new generic consumer one. I would also like to deal with a fixed wing one.
    Last edited by sk_tle; 03-03-2021 at 11:40 AM.
    --
    T h o m a s

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by j44ke View Post
    DC Rainmaker has been covering drones for a while. Heís into details so I expect he does a pretty good job explaining the plus minuses.

I saw drones up here for the first time last summer. You can pretty quickly get in trouble if you donít know the regulations - and even if you do and local law enforcement doesnít. Mostly real estate agents using them up here Iím told.
    The FAA regulates this when they fly above a certain altitude (in US airspace) if Iím not mistaken. Drones have wreaked havoc at a few major airports.

I donít have the link but Iíd be sure to find out about restrictions. I donít believe getting licensed is difficult and it may help prevent a potentially ugly situation with an overzealous law enforcement officer.
    Last edited by Saab2000; 03-03-2021 at 06:02 PM.
    La Cheeserie!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just so it is here for reference:

https://www.faa.gov/uas/recreational_fliers/

There is also an app that helps figure out where you can and cannot fly:

https://www.faa.gov/uas/recreational..._i_fly/b4ufly/

The rule about not flying over people or vehicles would be worth researching further clarification.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sk_tle View Post
    Additionnally I used to have a drone and a third party app that added some follow-me function. I soon realized that carrying a drone, as lightweight as it is in a 3h ride/hike/ski only to have 20 to 30minutes of fly time isn't particularly nice. Also you tend to get distracted and/or overly think about it instead of your regular activity, add to that the fear of losing it. It is however nice to film cliffs, mountains or monuments from a different spot but again you tend to get distracted by where and when you should operate your drone instead of actually enjoying your visit. Like photography but worse.

I am glad I didn't pay for my drone, best mate owned 2 DJI mavic drones and he used it a lot in the early days but now he reverted mostly taking shots with his go-pro which actually fit in a real pocket. They are now collecting dust like most people's drones.

I think this is one of the few activities you enjoy more when doing professionnally, because you can then more easily ustify buying the heavy high end stuff and have unexpected possibly challenging stuff to deal with, than using the recreative stuff in your week-ends.

These days I would actually be more interested in building my own drone as a DIY project using some arduino stuff and parts more than buying a new generic consumer one. I would also like to deal with a fixed wing one.
    Thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

First person flying looks really cool.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

He eventually figured it out. The content on his channel is pretty amazing.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)