Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Don Lamson Leaves D2 Shoe

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Don Lamson Leaves D2 Shoe

Don Lamson Leaves D2 Shoe to Start New Premium Cycling Footwear Company.

Santa Paula, California – March 19, 2018. D2Shoe founder and renown cycling shoe designer Don Lamson has left D2Shoe to start a new premium cycling shoe company. Don has been designing and building custom cycling shoes for more than 35 years. His premium cycling shoes have been worn by professional cyclists, olympians and national champions. After being unable to reach agreement with his business partner about the direction D2Shoe would take going forward, Don sold his interest in the company to his partner, who will attempt to operate D2 without Don. Don will continue to build premium custom cycling shoes and his new company, Lamson Cycling Shoes, will become operational over the upcoming months. The website for Lamson Cycling Shoes is at https://donlamson.com, and will be updated regularly with information about the new company and its new cycling footwear designs. Don can be contacted through the website with any questions.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Don Lamson Leaves D2 Shoe

Crap I was thinking about replacing my D2 mountain bike shoes.. with D2 road shoes.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Whoa...you mean *that* Don Lamson?!?!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Shinomaster View Post
    Crap I was thinking about replacing my D2 mountain bike shoes.. with D2 road shoes.
    You’ll be able to replace your D2 shoes with new shoes made by Don soon! Don is in Tuscon looking for space right now, and has started the process of obtaining necessary equipment and materials. He hopes to be fully operational and building shoes within a month or so. He has some really interesting design concepts for his new shoes. Just be patient, and check his website (posted above) from time to time for updates.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I remember having one of the first pairs they made, and I had no idea what I had. They were screaming yellow and neon pink, and the lightest things I'd ever tried. Gave them away like a fool.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ericpmoss View Post
    I remember having one of the first pairs they made, and I had no idea what I had. They were screaming yellow and neon pink, and the lightest things I'd ever tried. Gave them away like a fool.
    Those were Don’s first shoes, called “DONIs.”
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Interesting. D2 is in the process of moving right now. I emailed them a few times without response so I called them up. I don't know who I spoke with but he said they were busy setting up the new shop and would get back to me when they were operational.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

These are my old Lamson shoes:
    photo.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by djg21 View Post
    Those were Don’s first shoes, called “DONIs.”
    I had a pair of those as well. Bolts pulled right through the carbon insole...
    DT

http://www.mjolnircycles.com/

Some are born to move the world to live their fantasies...

"the fun outweighs the suck, and the suck hasn't killed me yet." -- chasea

"Sometimes, as good as it feels to speak out, silence is the only way to rise above the morass. The high road is generally a quiet route." -- echelon_john

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Does anyone have experience dealing with the new iteration of D2 without Don? I have some D2s from 2016 that need adjustments, but I’m not sure if I’d just be throwing the $150 away.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Lewis View Post
    Does anyone have experience dealing with the new iteration of D2 without Don? I have some D2s from 2016 that need adjustments, but I’m not sure if I’d just be throwing the $150 away.
    Yes, and the jury is out. I am not happy currently.

I bought pair of SuperCrits from the new D2 earlier this year -- I asked for identical shoes and insoles to my 2016 pair. This was my 5th pair of D2s -- I have pretty bad feet, and custom shoes+insoles are the only way to control my pronation (trust me, I've tried everything since 1981 -- Rocket 7s and D2s were the final answer, and thanks to them I've had, finally, 15 years of injury-free cycling).

The short of it is that my new shoes aren't like my old ones at all, and after four rides I barely got 2 miles today before I had to turn around in arch and tibialis posterior frustration. I put on my old super-glue specials from '16, and bam, instant comfort.

I e-mailed Hakob at D2 today to ask if I can send the 2016 and 2019 shoes back in September, so he can go over both pairs and make whatever changes need to be made to the sole profile and the insoles (the cleat drilling and placement marks were also off, but within the adjustment range for me to get the cleats where they belonged) so that I don't have 975.00 shoes that cause they very problems I bought them to rectify. For the time being, I'm super-gluing the shit out of my '16s to get a few thousand more miles out of them before September.

I'll tell ya'll how the e-mails and the final process works out. For now, I'm disappointed -- my four previous pairs of D2s were all race-ready out of the box, no "break in" or "let my feet get adjusted" period needed, just screw the cleats in to match Don's placement line, stick on the forefoot wedges (I have to use a whopping 5mm on each foot), and go. That's what I was paying the small fortune for. The new shoes have not lived up to that, at all.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bless Don and his innovation, his commitment to the USA Olympics and so many other things. That said, the design is stuck in the past. I've had two pairs of his shoes and they saved my grits for Transcontinentals. Moving on, there are vastly better designs out there. Riivo Custom Cycling Footwear | Riivo Custom Cycling Footwear for instance. Myself and Mrs. TT have a pair, they are peerless.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Lamson Cycling

Don is back to building shoes. He’s now in Green Valley, AZ, just south of Tucson. Links to Lamson Cycling follow:

HOME | LAMSON CYCLE SHOES
    Lamson Cycle Shoes (@lamsoncycleshoes) • Instagram photos and videos
    Lamson Cycle Shoes (@LamsonCycleShoe) on Twitter
    Lamson Cycle Shoes - 85 Photos - 2 Reviews - Product/Service -

His new shoes are very nice.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Lamson Cycling

Don't want to be the hater but according to pictures on the instagram account these do not look to well ventilated compared to mass-produced ones from non-custom brands. Only a few tiny holes on the leather and no vent on the sole itself. Has anyone experience with those? I have a slightly deformed foot from an accident 2 decades ago and in the market for new roads and MTB shoes, so I'm considering custom. However I am now leaving in an area with a year long summer and heat management has become an important point for me.
    Last edited by sk_tle; 09-01-2019 at 04:41 PM.
    --
    T h o m a s

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sk_tle View Post
    Don't want to be the hater but according to pictures on the instagram account these do not look to well ventilated compared to mass-produced ones from non-custom brands. Only a few tiny holes on the leather and no vent on the sole itself. Has anyone experience with those? I have a slightly deformed foot from an accident 2 decades ago and in the market for new roads and MTB shoes, so I'm considering custom. However I am now leaving in an area with a year long summer and heat management has become an important point for me.
    I have not tried Lamson's shoes but I do have custom shoes by Riivo. In all likelihood the Riivos also don't look like they would vent well if judging by vents in a sole or visual appearance of the tops. But they are fantastic is every way including not getting too warm/hot.

My guess is because of the materials used. Or more specifically, the lack of materials used. Again only speaking for Riivo, there is surprising lack of materials because each pair is made for an individual and therefor there isn't a need to have a bunch of padding and other material which helps a stock pair of shoes work for many people with slightly different feet.

Perhaps Lamsons are nothing like the Riivo. But when you go custom you don't need all that extra material which makes them 1) amazing comfortable 2) not too hot, not too cold ()

+My guess is if you told a custom shoe guy that you are concerned about heat, they would work with that parameter.
    ++ I high doubt you live an an area that gets hotter than Tucson Arizona in the US.
    Brian McLaughlin

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The uppers do have perforations. I’ve had them all summer and haven’t had an issue with heat. I always wear Defeet merino wool cycling socks too.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks guys. I didn't thought about the amount of material. It is true that 3 decades ago we used to wear shoes with only a thin layer of leather and I don't remember them feeling that hot.

No, not arizona level. Mediteranean one and I leave by the sea. But we some days have El Terral, a hot wind that can raise the temperature from say 30 to 40 degrees and make it feel even higher. I tend to avoid cycling during those days though.
    Last edited by sk_tle; 09-01-2019 at 05:25 PM.
    --
    T h o m a s

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Still curious to hear if people are happy with the guy currently running D2 with respect to quality control, customer service/responsiveness. Don't know the Riivo guy and Don has no access to my/any previous D2 customer information. I need new shoes and some repairs done and it would be really nice to not have to go through the whole process again with Riivo or Lamson shoes.

Could Luck/Riivo/Lamson/? nail it on the first try? That was definitely not my experience with D2 but comfort-wise, I'm not sure I can go back to store bought.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Do you have an update on your experience with the "new" D2/Hakob?

Quote Originally Posted by DOOFUS View Post
    Yes, and the jury is out. I am not happy currently.

I bought pair of SuperCrits from the new D2 earlier this year -- I asked for identical shoes and insoles to my 2016 pair. This was my 5th pair of D2s -- I have pretty bad feet, and custom shoes+insoles are the only way to control my pronation (trust me, I've tried everything since 1981 -- Rocket 7s and D2s were the final answer, and thanks to them I've had, finally, 15 years of injury-free cycling).

The short of it is that my new shoes aren't like my old ones at all, and after four rides I barely got 2 miles today before I had to turn around in arch and tibialis posterior frustration. I put on my old super-glue specials from '16, and bam, instant comfort.

I e-mailed Hakob at D2 today to ask if I can send the 2016 and 2019 shoes back in September, so he can go over both pairs and make whatever changes need to be made to the sole profile and the insoles (the cleat drilling and placement marks were also off, but within the adjustment range for me to get the cleats where they belonged) so that I don't have 975.00 shoes that cause they very problems I bought them to rectify. For the time being, I'm super-gluing the shit out of my '16s to get a few thousand more miles out of them before September.

I'll tell ya'll how the e-mails and the final process works out. For now, I'm disappointed -- my four previous pairs of D2s were all race-ready out of the box, no "break in" or "let my feet get adjusted" period needed, just screw the cleats in to match Don's placement line, stick on the forefoot wedges (I have to use a whopping 5mm on each foot), and go. That's what I was paying the small fortune for. The new shoes have not lived up to that, at all.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Hammertime View Post
    Do you have an update on your experience with the "new" D2/Hakob?
    Why not just go to Don? His new shoes are much improved. Rather than sailcloth, the uppers are reinforced with Innegra fiber. This makes for a much lighter shoe with no stretch, and they feel great. Pictures of his road and MTB shoes are attached, along with a track shoe he just built for master world champion.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast