Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dolomites-style riding in the States?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Dolomites-style riding in the States?

Quote Originally Posted by dfischer1 View Post
    I definitely looked at that route and would love to do it, but couldn't figure out how to easily/safely/quickly transport my bike or return the rental bike. Any pro tips?
    Quite a few rentals are offering drop off and pick up for their bikes. Check around to see if any offer that for point to point.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like

I definitely looked at that route and would love to do it, but couldn't figure out how to easily/safely/quickly transport my bike or return the rental bike. Any pro tips?
    Everything is possible in Geneve for a price but why not use your bike? There are baggage forwarding companies who will manage your bike/box once you reach your terminus.
    If you gents want the .GPS route I am glad to share just PM me. It's hard but you have all day to do the distances and it's over in 7 days and you wind up in Nice for g0dsakes.
    Another PRO nugget...there is a hotel across the street from Geneve airport who are super nice about storing bike cases. You can leave it there for weeks, just tip the front desk. Hard to beat that if your plan is to do a double or rent a car in Nice and drive back...how sweet is that?

Post Thanks / Like

Having cycled in the dolomites - I would do it along thr lines of this, depending on time and budget:

Fly to Venice - rent car
    Drive to Bassano del Grappa - ride Monte Grappa and surrounds
    Drive to Kranjska Gora, Slovenia - ride Vrsic/Mangart loop
    Drive to Ovaro - ride Zoncolan/Crostis loop
    Drive to Corvara or San Cassiano - ride sella ronda and others
    From here you could drive back to Venice and fly home

Longer version
    Continue on to Bormio for Stelvio, Gavia, Mortirolo
    Drive to Bellagio for Como/Ghisallo/Muri di sormano
    Fly home from Milan

The above hits a lot of the classics and with the possible exception of Ovaro each if thise places would be a good spot for at least two days of riding.

I like renting a car because it frees you to explore a larger area for rides and the driving van be wuite beautiful.

If I could only base myself one place I would probably do San Cassiano for classic Dolomites appeal. If budget was unlimited, I would stay at Hotel Rosa Alpina and definitely have dinner at St Hubertus.

Bassano del Grappa, Corvara and Bormio would all be good bases as well.

It wont be as cheap as Italy - but I would also put in a shout for Andermatt, Switzerland. I was there last summer and was pretty blown away with the riding right from the doorstep. I hit Furka, Grimsel, Nufenen, cobbled St Gotthard and (with a drive to Locarno) Lago di Naret. This area is easily accessed via Zurich.

Lets get some more specifics on your trip and nail doen some good rides!

Post Thanks / Like

Right then! this thread sorta headed 180d off topic :)

okay, I did some map looking and chatted w/ my HR manager about PTO stuff.... looks totally doable.

Sounds like a plan is coming together for me, .... most likely summer '18?
    I'm stoked, anyone who has specific thoughts, PM me, just to not clutter this thread up so much?

TT - I'll shoot you a line in a bit for GPS routes/vert totals.

Post Thanks / Like

OP here.

So just to circle back, I got a great deal on a flight to Nice in April (direct from JFK on Delta!) and brought my bike in an Orucase. Rented an AirBNB near the Old Port for 45 euro/night, went riding for four days (Cols Eze, Vence, Nice, Braus, Madone, etc), and came home. Exactly what I needed. No car needed as all the rides (and the climbs) start from downtown.

I also just finished a week of work on Switzerland where I rented a road bike and did the Alpenbrevet route (Grimsel, Furka and Sustenpasses). Big day, and lots of fun.

Moral of the story is: if I'm looking for European-style riding, I should just go to Europe. Both flights were cheaper than flights to Portland, OR.

Post Thanks / Like

FANTASTIC report :)
    OP here.

So just to circle back, I got a great deal on a flight to Nice in April (direct from JFK on Delta!) and brought my bike in an Orucase. Rented an AirBNB near the Old Port for 45 euro/night, went riding for four days (Cols Eze, Vence, Nice, Braus, Madone, etc), and came home. Exactly what I needed. No car needed as all the rides (and the climbs) start from downtown.

I also just finished a week of work on Switzerland where I rented a road bike and did the Alpenbrevet route (Grimsel, Furka and Sustenpasses). Big day, and lots of fun.

Moral of the story is: if I'm looking for European-style riding, I should just go to Europe. Both flights were cheaper than flights to Portland, OR.