Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Doing a TDF Visit Parisienne Properly

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Doing a TDF Visit Parisienne Properly

So as fate has it I fly into Paris the day before the finale in Paris on the 26th. The internet has nothing but British holiday adverts and vague french descriptions usually revolving around the fabulous sights of Paris. So my question to those of you in the know is how to do it properly. I'm more of the 'take it easy, have a beer, soak up the atmosphere' kind of guy as opposed to 'squeeze into tight place to get fleeting glimpse of Cav in the winners circle' person.

Anyone have past experience? Things to avoid like the plague? Secret haunts with a good view? Is it worth it at all? I'm meeting my girlfriend (hey we're Common Law in Canada), who will be in Avignon so I could skip the hoopla and hop a train South if the whole thing is a mess. My gut tells me I want to be a part of it though. I have not a single booking but a flight so anything from accommodations to pastries have me interested.

As an aside it's great being around a group of people where this prompt has a chance in hell of eliciting a useful response. Thanks in advance.
    -Parker Musselman-
    Flickr

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Doing a TDF Visit Parisienne Properly

All I know is the marriot at CDG is a great place to stay before flying home.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Expect a madhouse and thick crowds if you are anywhere along the road circuit of the Tulleries, Rue du Rivoli, Place de Concorde, Champs, Arc de Triomphe - but its a fantastic atmosphere and vibe worth experiencing at least once in lifetime - would love the opportunity to do it again:)

487918_10151067554238571_1998843171_n.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I'll be there as well, thanks to a coincidental flight connection. Here's my advice:
    - If you go expecting to 'see the race' you'll probably be frustrated.
    - If you go to soak up the experience, you'll probably have a great time.

Definitely worth it for the spectacle. Have a few drinks, watch the lead up on TV in a café, then head out and find the best spot you can. Don't forget that the podium is set up afterwards near the finish line with its back to the Arc de Triomphe, so if you want to try to see the ceremony you'll want to be on the other side. Have fun!
    John Cully
    I ride bikes...not enough.
    I drink wine...not enough.
    I play guitar & bass...not well enough.
    I travel...not NEARLY enough.
    www.luccavacationhome.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You should do it. We went last year. We got there fairly early and caught the women's race too. I thought the best place to watch was near the Arc. It wasn't hard to get a spot as people would come and go. The wife and my two girls would go into a shop from time to time too. After the race, grab a quick bite at one of the restaurants on the Champs then come back out as the team's parade the course.