Thread: Doing a Mt Hood recon Sunday

Post Thanks / Like

Default Doing a Mt Hood recon Sunday

Portland folks,
    I will be passing thru late Saturday afternoon for an overnight at a Portland friend's before doing a drive around a loop of Mt Hood on Sunday. I have a hankering for manicotti for dinner Saturday night. Any suggestions.
    My friend has Italian restaurant suggestions, but I've had manicotti on my mind. Perhaps the mods might leave this post in the general until Saturday? I promise a ride report in return.
    Thanks much,
    Byron

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Doing a Mt Hood recon Sunday

I know nice Italian places but none with manicotti on regular menu. I like Bar Mingo in the NW. Grassa or Mucca in downtown. Some others regarded as the best in town: Portland's 1 best Italian restaurants | OregonLive.com

Actually, the pasta chain Pastaria Pastini has it on menu: Italian Restaurant Menu - Portland, Beaverton, Tigard Oregon - Pastini Pastaria Their food is not bad. Better than an Olive Garden, I guess.

I also like a little place called home - La Buca Italian Cafe but don't see manicotti on the online menu.

Not Italian related: If you happen to be hungry and driving on the east side of Mt Hood near Cooper Spur, stop by at the Crooked Tree Tavern for lunch or a drink. Nice little place that I stop at when on bike. Their Tamanawas tacos are my jam after biking up Cloud Cap Rd. Dining: Mt Hood, Oregon: Cooper Spur Mountain Resort (Unless you are going to Hood River later, in which case skip the Crooked Tree so you can have pizza and beer at Double Mountain brewery in HR.)

Funny how we get a hankering for a certain dish and seek it out. Mine was curry a couple weeks ago. Good luck in your gastro-quest.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Fletcher. We are staying over at the Cooper Spur Mtn Resort when we do the loop via bike the first week of July. I'm scoping out the riding and accommodations for a larger group next season. We will check out your suggestions. I know that manicotti is not on current Italian menus, but I remember some great family run restaurants from decades back. I may be chasing a dream. Better than Olive Garden is.............???
    Seriously,
    Thanks much,
    Byron

Post Thanks / Like

My cousin in PDX who is pretty much more refined in every way than I am is a big fan of Burrasca.

Burrasca

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bironi View Post
    Thanks Fletcher. We are staying over at the Cooper Spur Mtn Resort when we do the loop via bike the first week of July. I'm scoping out the riding and accommodations for a larger group next season. We will check out your suggestions. I know that manicotti is not on current Italian menus, but I remember some great family run restaurants from decades back. I may be chasing a dream. Better than Olive Garden is.............???
    Seriously,
    Thanks much,
    Byron
    I think Pastini is excellent, honestly. In fact my wife and I were surprised after eating there several times that it was a chain. Havent eaten there in a few years though. In any case I wouldnt compare them to Olive Garden at all as OG is terrible, imho.

You should see some great weather on Sunday for the Mt Hood drive. I'm also very fond of the Gorge - either the Or or Wa side, driving up 14 or 84 going east is awesome. My favorite area of the US in fact, as far as scenic views go. Good Luck!

Post Thanks / Like

Denicola's has manicotti: Pasta Dinners - Denicolas Restaurant. It's an unpretentious, basic, family friendly, mom and pop type place that's been around for donkey years. Of course, this being Portland, family-friendly means there's a strip joint right next door.

The weather's supposed to be great this weekend and I'm going on a ride between The Dalles and Hood River myself this Sat. I hope you have a great time!

Post Thanks / Like

Former Mt. Hood resident here. You'll love the Cooper Spur Inn. It's a great location with a terrific restaurant/bar- truly a classic mountain inn. And the local riding is pretty awesome as well- check out the Lost Lake/Red Hill loop, and there are loads of other near by options...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wpod View Post
    Former Mt. Hood resident here. You'll love the Cooper Spur Inn. It's a great location with a terrific restaurant/bar- truly a classic mountain inn. And the local riding is pretty awesome as well- check out the Lost Lake/Red Hill loop, and there are loads of other near by options...
    I'll second this, I've stayed there a couple times working the Mt Hood cycling classic. The roads around that part of the state are fantastic, not as good as the trails though, hint hint.

Post Thanks / Like

Even if they aren't serving manicotti, go to Bar Mingo.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 72gmc View Post
    Even if they aren't serving manicotti, go to Bar Mingo.
    We did go to the Bar Mingo Friday evening. It was quite good. We also ate at the family Italian, De Nicolas on Sunday evening - nice as well.

Post Thanks / Like

We drove the recon route today. I must say that I will not be doing a circumnavigation ride around Mt. Hood. There is too much high speed highway mileage for my liking. If possible, I'll stick with our accommodations at the Cooper Spur Mtn Resort. We drove a very untraveled narrow road to Lost Lake which was very cool, and the Lolo Pass section was also very nice. We took the road up to Wahtum Lake, but this would be a riding challenge that I'm not up to. I may ask for some route advice from those who responded that they know the area. Thanks all for the feedback. I hope to have a positive ride report in early July.
    Byron

Post Thanks / Like

Agreed. I'm not a fan of the Hwy 35 side nor the hwy 26 side. I ride Lolo, Lost Lake, Jones Creek and Lost Lake Branch NF 13 road at least yearly. The road up to Cloud Cap Inn right in front of Crooked Tree is one of my fave rides. Vista Ridge from Lolo to Parkdale across the northern side of Hood is great riding too. Here a link to my recent ride pics of Wahtum, Lost Lake area: Velocipede Salon Member Rides Report: May 29 to June 4

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fletcher View Post
    Agreed. I'm not a fan of the Hwy 35 side nor the hwy 26 side. I ride Lolo, Lost Lake, Jones Creek and Lost Lake Branch NF 13 road at least yearly. The road up to Cloud Cap Inn right in front of Crooked Tree is one of my fave rides. Vista Ridge from Lolo to Parkdale across the northern side of Hood is great riding too. Here a link to my recent ride pics of Wahtum, Lost Lake area: Velocipede Salon Member Rides Report: May 29 to June 4
    Fletcher,
    Do you have any route map files available for your suggested rides? My current thinking is to add another night's stay at Cooper Spur and drive to ride start points if more convenient. If anyone else has something, thanks much in advance.
    Byron

Post Thanks / Like

Did you do this recon?

How well do you know this area?

I ask because I am considering this event: Mt Hood Gravel Grinder – Oregon Gravel Grinder

I'd be interested know how much off-road to road (seems like a lot of road), also ideal tires and gearing.

Post Thanks / Like

I did my recon, but it was only one day and I was not familiar with the area. Check out this link and contact the author. He was very accommodating in answering all my questions. He has rode and gravel in the area for several years.

Buckyrides - Home | Facebook

Byron

Post Thanks / Like

28c tires and a 28t cassette will happily get you around Hood or the Dalles with a little care. Bring a mtb if you wanna tackle some rougher stuff, like Ron's Mosier Mayhem route. Our Mother The Mountain

Post Thanks / Like

This is the loop. Mt. Hood Gravel Grinder (Big Grind) - Hood River County, OR
    Any input?

Quote Originally Posted by sonny View Post
    28c tires and a 28t cassette will happily get you around Hood or the Dalles with a little care. Bring a mtb if you wanna tackle some rougher stuff, like Ron's Mosier Mayhem route. Our Mother The Mountain

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by boots2000 View Post
    Standard Hood loop, maybe 10 mi of it is gravel. Nothing too crazy in there, I always ride it on my road bike.
    Its a great route. Enjoy it!

Post Thanks / Like

SO mostly road? What tires? 700x28mm?

Quote Originally Posted by sonny View Post
    Standard Hood loop, maybe 10 mi of it is gravel. Nothing too crazy in there, I always ride it on my road bike.
    Its a great route. Enjoy it!