Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: A Different Sort of Bike Thief

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question A Different Sort of Bike Thief

Like many of you I have my idea of a dream bike.

A few years ago I contacted a well-regarded builder with an interesting pedigree that crossed many disciplines including high-performance motorcycle frames. He has a reputation for very good work and struck me as an affable fellow.

Some folks had alluded to the fact that his turnaround times could be a little wanting but that was okay for me because I like to take time for ideas to marinate and marinate they did.

It also proved practical in the financial sense for me as well. I'm not poor, we own our house outright (Bronx, NYC) , and I am semi-retired at this point; nevertheless I've been pouring a lot of money into refurbishing the old house, a good six figures, therefore the custom build bike was certainly more a "Black Project," and subject to certain budgeting restrictions due to revenue having to go to the house first.

The bike design developed quite a bit over the few years we dialogged and finally settled into a near final form as of January 2018.

And that's when things started to get funny. What used to be regular, albeit loose, communications trickled down to nil, he became utterly non-responsive to email, and I found out second hand through Johhny Coast that the builder in question, Seth Rosko, was packing up shop and moving to Australia.

Johnny reached out to Seth and I heard from him again finally this last June 2019 that he was coming back up into the states to finish the last of the frames he'd been contracted to build.

That's the last I've heard from him.

Anyhow...this was to be THE bike. Custom-fit, and what I planned on riding until I can't ride anymore. Retirement bike, call it whatever you want. I laid out a good $6,000 for frame and have nothing to show for it.

Now this guy is in Australia? I'm at a loss in terms of what to do. I never sued anyone overseas before, I guess I need to open by filing charges against him here in the states.

Anyhow, I know there are a few custom builders here who know Seth personally. Maybe some of you could do me a favor and contact him for me to give him one last opportunity to do the right honorable thing which at this point is a full refund.

Martin

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: A Different Sort of Bike Thief

I am truly sorry to read this and hope the builder does the right thing.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It sounds like you're accusing someone of a crime in a web forum. I hope you can support this. And have you thought about the consequences of libel/slander?

I can tell you are frustrated. You've posted about this before IIRC. The time has past to resolve this on forums/social media. Get an attorney. Yes, it will be long and painful but your only recourse at this point if he hasn't fulfilled the contract.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So I understand the concept of deposit, but you paid a full price for a bike that was just an idea?
    --
    T h o m a s

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bobonli View Post
    It sounds like you're accusing someone of a crime in a web forum. I hope you can support this. And have you thought about the consequences of libel/slander?
    I'm not worried, I appreciate the concern. My only previous post here was about getting in contact.

Quote Originally Posted by sk_tle View Post
    So I understand the concept of deposit, but you paid a full price for a bike that was just an idea?
    Parts/materials had been sourced etc.. but, point taken. I've paid full in advance from reputable vendors before...never had an issue.
    Martin

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wow, that sucks...
    Chikashi Miyamoto

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Too much detail. Too public. And not wise to put even the partially de-identified info in that PayPal statement online - you're begging for identity theft. I'd ask a mod to pull it down if I were you.
    No one on this forum can help you with the exception of possibly helping you find the builder. A simple request asking if anyone had his current contact information would have sufficed. In any event, hope it works out.
    Lou D'Amelio
    Bucks County PA

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

0?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Looks pretty well supported, assuming no finished bike delivered.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

man, this is terrible.

this would gnaw at me in a very unhealthy way.

i can't help but to question your sanity for paying in full for a bike that was not completed. just being honest. but that's water under the bridge and a separate topic.

did you make the big payment via credit card? there may be some purchase protection there you can access?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I like a good puzzle. And I think this guy is gone. Creating Custom Bike Frames in a Custom Space

One doesn’t have to read between the lines too much to conclude he might have left to avoid some debt. Australia is huge and it looks like he has removed any trace of himself. Or maybe our Google doesn’t work so well for that country. If you haven’t found anyone who will give up his whereabouts, you’ll need someone over there to find him using tax records or phone bills etc. that’s gonna cost money. Have you been out to Brooklyn to see if there are any clues at the trailer mentioned in the article? Maybe get the NYC sheriff to seize his property if there’s any still there. That would require a legal proceeding of some sort and I don’t know how you’d serve him but it’s a start. I bet you’re not the only one. He’s a citizen, I imagine, of one or both countries, so maybe the state Dept can offer some guidance as to how to locate him.

Maybe the question is not “Where is this guy?” but “How many others have been burned by him?” And then pool your resources to track him down. Maybe someone else has already found him and is pursuing a remedy.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Have you been in contact with USAA about this? Was it paid forr on a credit card and not debit card? When I had USAA, they did pretty well in getting money back from scammers.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Arrow Re: A Different Sort of Bike Thief

Dang. Hope this custom builder makes you whole.
    No additional advice, yet wished to bump the thread.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Snip...Australia is huge....
    True, but nearly everyone lives in a city...of which there are not many.

There aren’t that many place you might want/be prepared to live.

Although, also, property is absurdly expensive, so it’s a strange place to go if you are escaping money issues

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've seen a documentary/interview of him a few months (years?) back where he mentionned his wife and possibly kids were already in Australia. So there is that.
    --
    T h o m a s

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not remotely! Because iocaine comes from Australia, as everyone knows. And Australia is entirely peopled with criminals. And criminals are used to having people not trust them as you are not trusted by me, so I can clearly not choose the wine in front of you.
    Suzy Jackson
    Vanity blog: http://suzyj.blogspot.com
    Little fish bicycles website: http://www.littlefishbicycles.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oh man! A ‘Princess Bride’ reference so early in the morn-I love this place.

Although I realize you are in Australia-and it’s probably late at night some time in May of 2023, I’m not sure if the time difference.
    ‘The Earth is not dying, it is being killed, and those that are killing it have names and addresses-‘ Utah Phillips

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would not waste money on an attorney at this point because this can most probably be handled by small claims court in NYC. Go to court, get a judgement against him, and then hope someone (US Marshall, NYC Sheriff, etc.) picks him up for unpaid liens if he ever enters this country again. It might also help you if he still travels on a US Passport.

I would ignore the comments about not using social media. If you are telling the truth about your situation, I would use every means to get my money back and his reputation be damned. It's not like email, text, phone, facebook, instagram, whatsapp, and common courtesy stop working when one moves to Australia.

Other than that, fly to Australia to track him down.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'd actually suggest a lot wider campaign of social media attempts to get him to make things right. A broad campaign on FB, IG, and Twitter at the minimum should muddy his waters sufficiently to help him come to the conclusion that ripping you off is a bad idea if he wants to continue in the bike business. Perhaps other folks are in the same boat and can help bring visibility to the issue and hopefully a resolution for all...
    Guy Washburn

Photography > www.guywashburn.com

"If you look around, complacency is the great disease of your autumn years, and I work hard to prevent that."
    --Nick Cave

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I seem to remember that part of Rosko's business was welding performance exhausts for classic motorcycles. There was a classic motorcycle race team I think he worked with, but I can't recall the name.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast