User Tag List

Thread: Di2 synchro shifting opinion / experiences

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Di2 synchro shifting opinion / experiences

I understand the concept. Wondering what real world users have to say about it. Particularly interested in how it smooths things out with 16 tooth difference of compact double. Do you use full or semi synchro and can you describe your impressions? Does it do what you need it to do better than you doing the shifting yourself? Is that possible?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Di2 synchro shifting opinion / experiences

My sample pool is fairly small, but no one that I work with has liked it at all. Total number of people that have tried it? 6. All cat 1/ 2 racers, so maybe that has something to do with it? I didn’t care for it, either. Full or semi. The biggest complain was “I didn’t like losing control of the front shifting.”
    -Dustin

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There is quite a bit of discussion of it here:

Di2 Road Synchro Shift first impressions

I'm planning to use it on a Lyrebird Mr Kelly is making for me. It will mean I can use Di2 without being tied to Shimano brakes and levers, which is an upside for me, but i'm yet to use it in practice.

I suspect on standard levers my subconscious and Di2 might keep doing things twice so I would have to undo what I had done. But i'm a slow learner. It's taken me six years to almost "instinctively" know that the button on the original climbing shifters that gives you a harder gear is not the one I think it should be.

On a "non-standard" design i'm hoping there won't be any issues with the subconscious, and i'm hoping I don't hate it anyway!
    Colin Mclelland

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Also, Tristan has set up his Garmin so it beeps when the next shift will involve the front derailleur. Anyone know if you can get a Wahoo Element Bolt to do that? Care to share on how you make it happen?
    Colin Mclelland

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

New Di2 user experience...

I haven’t ridden anything other than Campy for ~10 years, went with DA Di2 for a new bike I’ve been riding since this past Feb.

Impressions so far: I have no use for the novelty shift modes, and I don’t love the tightly nested controls. That said, I can see how the poor ergonomics of the control configuration would be a lot less of an issue for anyone who uses synchro mode...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

a bit off topic- but we recently set up my Evergreen NAHBS 219: Seven Cycles Evergreen Pro SL Best Gravel Bike Winner to have both the buttons on the left lever shift up the cassette to a lower gear and both the buttons on the right lever to shift down the cassette to a higher gear.

this is really a great way to have di2 work with a 1x drivetrain. i've been using di2 on and off since it first came out, and i still find myself hitting the wrong button! maybe i'm just numb- but the sram etap system is more intuitive to me as is the campy eps system.

were i to use a front derailleur on a di2 bike myself, i'd consider having the buttons on the tops of levers operate the front shifting and mimic the set up on the evergreen for the rear derailleur.

back on subject for a bit- i've found that new riders really love synchro shifting and riders with lots of experience hate it. in my opinion- it doesn't really make too much sense on modern compact 50/34 set ups- but it makes a lot of sense for set-ups where the chainrings are closer to the same size. i'd consider it for a cyclocross set up like a 46/38 for example. di2 shifts so well that you really don't need to alter your cadence or do anything different when shifting the front derailleur versus shifting the rear derailleur so why not use the synchro?
    bamboo, aluminum, wood.

My name is Craig Gaulzetti.

www.summercycles.com

www.gaulzetti.co

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would hate the feature if I were racing with it. However, since I don't, I love it because I'm lazy: it relieves me from thinking about when to shift the front. I have both buttons on the right lever to shift down, both buttons on the left lever to shift up. It's just like paddle shifting on a motor car. It's a bit jarring when the front and rear shift at the same time, but I still think it's absolutely perfect for mindless, lazy people like me, in the most delightful way.
    Chikashi Miyamoto

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

got over 100 miles now on my new Di2 with compact double (i am coming from road triples for the last 10 years). since the shifting is so snappy compared to cable-ized shifting it is way easier to now make up for the 16 tooth front difference by giving the rear lever a couple of ticks up or down. i may still experiment with synchro.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

my .02

coming up on 1 year anniversary of my first di2 bike. before that I had 10s Chorus and the original 8s DA 7400 STI groups, both of which are clunky in a good way. not being used to the subtle differences in the di2 buttons, I blew a couple of shifts in the first few weeks I had the bike and was intrigued by the synchro mode set up as idiot proof: right hand harder, left hand easier, both buttons, and it has seemed to work out pretty well. Mind you, we don't have tons of hills so I'm not bothered much by giving up control of the FD and maybe I would have mastered the normal button lay out with some patience, but if Craig says he still will miss an occasional shift, I know I would, especially short of oxygen trying to jump on wheels, so I'm sticking with synchro for now. I do like the idea of making the "3rd" button on the top of the body being perhaps dedicated to the FD to regain some control there, but it hasn't bothered me enough in the last 10 months to do it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i had the shop program each top of body button. The left one for up the cassette, the right one for down the cassette. thought this might be easier on my arthritic thumbs. 3 things: those buttons are not the easiest "to find", are in a sorta weird position on the shifters, and my brain simply wants my hands to shift by using the normal levers as they have for 30 years. Di2 levers could definitely benefit from being a bit bigger, but I am getting used to them. What about when wearing winter gloves. SRAM etap has way bigger levers and I'd like Shimano to go in that direction.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've used it since it was released and I love it. It's like riding a 1x bike - just tap either button on the left shifter to go slower, or the right to go faster. For what it's worth I'm probably at the tail of cat1/2.

Shifting from small to big chainring is about as fast as a non-di2 shift on a well tuned bike: Pretty damn good but not perfect. The system will shift into the large chainring and shift two (or three depending on how you set it up) gears at the rear at the same time to compensate in one smooth movement.

Shifting from the large to small chainring isn't quite as great. The system shifts the front derialleur first *then* shifts the two rear cogs. This gives you about a second of high cadence riding.

All the Garmin models except the 130 will beep to warn you the next shift will be a chainring shift. For me this is enough warning that I need to be ready for a shift which isn't as perfect as every other di2 shift. No other brand of computer yet does this, as far as I'm aware from the research I did in Feb 2019 although Wahoo said it would be part of their next release but wouldn't give a date.

The argument that it doesn't give you control on the front derailleur is a bit rubbish. Approaching a hill in the large chainring you can still shift into the little ring before it's needed, just like you would on a 'normal' bike. Or just let it do it's thing: The only time the shifting is frustrating is when you're doing 400 watts on a climb and you get that brief moment of high cadence. If you're aware it's coming it's ok but if it were a surprised I think it would suck.

The opposite situation - doing more than 400W and shifting into the large chainring - is smooth and seamless.

Front chainring type makes a big difference. I'm using Shimano 34-50 rings on a Quarq which shift much better than the Praxxis 36-50 I had previously.

When I now ride other bikes I'm baffled why more people don't use synchro: it's just better. Electronics change the way we can think about ergonomics and we don't have to use the right shifter for the rear derailleur simply because that is the only mechanical way of doing it. There is a learning curve but once you're used it synchro it makes way more sense than the old fashioned way.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Tristan View Post
    Electronics change the way we can think about ergonomics
    That's what I think. I think these sorts of smart and satellite shifting options are the point of Di2. I've got the original 10spd Di2 and I commute about 3 weeks in 4 on an 11spd mishmash of Ultegra and DA9000 mechanical. I honestly can't remember when I last adjusted it. If all you are going to do is make the existing mechanical functions electronic, I would just stick with mechanical. I find it stupidly good now and Record 12 spd mechanical is supposed to be even better.

All the Garmin models except the 130 will beep to warn you the next shift will be a chainring shift. For me this is enough warning that I need to be ready for a shift which isn't as perfect as every other di2 shift. No other brand of computer yet does this, as far as I'm aware from the research I did in Feb 2019 although Wahoo said it would be part of their next release but wouldn't give a date.
    Thanks. That's useful to know. Disappointing, but useful.
    Colin Mclelland

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

rode today with half synchro. i loved that when shifting the front there was an automatic up or down of two cogs on the back. and yes the delay when shifting to the small ring is a bit of a hiccup but that's ok with me too. my brain can't quite grasp full synchro but that will be next.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by eddief View Post
    rode today with half synchro. i loved that when shifting the front there was an automatic up or down of two cogs on the back. and yes the delay when shifting to the small ring is a bit of a hiccup but that's ok with me too. my brain can't quite grasp full synchro but that will be next.
    I think half sychro is the worst of both worlds.

My suggestion: Go full synchro. Set both left shifter buttons to give you a slower gear, and both right shifter buttons to give you a faster gear. Give it a few rides to retrain the decades of muscle memory and I think you'll enjoy it

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I think half sychro is the worst of both worlds.

My suggestion: Go full synchro. Set both left shifter buttons to give you a slower gear, and both right shifter buttons to give you a faster gear. Give it a few rides to retrain the decades of muscle memory and I think you'll enjoy it
    that's how I set mine up--probably based on previous thread here--and I like it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by eddief View Post
    my brain can't quite grasp full synchro but that will be next.
    As far as I'm concerned, that's the whole point: I don't have to engage my brain when in full synchro. ;)
    Chikashi Miyamoto

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Set both left shifter buttons to give you a slower gear, and both right shifter buttons to give you a faster gear.
    Coming from Campag and never having used Shimano previously except for a few days on a rental, I set them up in the other direction. It makes swapping from one bike in the stable to another seamless. Almost.
    Chikashi Miyamoto