Thread: Di2 external

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Di2 external

Quick question for you guys:

I just spoke with Kent Eriksen about getting my frame modified to run internal Di2, and he informed me that it was near impossible to get into the BB and enlarge the holes for internal routing. Not the end of the world, but I really want to give the Di2 stuff a shot.

Has anyone found a clean way to externally run the wiring? I can't imagine that tape and zip ties are going to look clean at all. Has anyone found a good solution for this?

Thanks in advance!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Di2 external

I use 2 zipties...maybe three. One to hold the battery mount stable, one for the FD wire (bottom of seat tube), and one for the RD wire (on chainstay behind the little ring). Everything else is held in place via this clear film called "Shelter".

Ends up quite clean. Cleaner than any wired computer install.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My framebuilder told me the same thing about my carbon frame w/ ti BB shell. I wonder how impossible it is. Anyone knows?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There is a double sticky tape used for mounting seals to glass-framed shower doors. It is incredibly powerful and impervious to water as long as everything is clean when it is applied. Most often you use it to attached a plastic tube to the edge of a door so the door "latches" into the seal on the stationary part of the door. The tube is similar in diameter to a wire. Might work, though I've never tried it on painted surfaces or carbon or anything having to do with bicycles. Not sure whether it would just attract dirt. C.R. Laurence makes it. Comes in different widths.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

with the exception of some carbon frames that are built under tension and you wouldn't want to screw with from a stuctural standpoint- there is no frame that i have encountered that is too hard to set up for internal wiring. you just need the right tools. any ti frame i could easily do.
    bamboo, aluminum, wood.

My name is Craig Gaulzetti.

www.summercycles.com

www.gaulzetti.co

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jerk View Post
    with the exception of some carbon frames that are built under tension and you wouldn't want to screw with from a stuctural standpoint- there is no frame that i have encountered that is too hard to set up for internal wiring. you just need the right tools. any ti frame i could easily do.
    This answer takes the taco, provided you are willing to do it on my Eriksen. What is the best way to contact you?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rbaker2778 View Post
    This answer takes the taco, provided you are willing to do it on my Eriksen. What is the best way to contact you?
    cgaulzetti ATATATAT internationalbike.com or just call me at the shop 617 527-0967.

craig
    bamboo, aluminum, wood.

My name is Craig Gaulzetti.

www.summercycles.com

www.gaulzetti.co

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

And we have a winner.....

The Eriksen is on its way to Craig. Very cool.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by j44ke View Post
    There is a double sticky tape used for mounting seals to glass-framed shower doors. It is incredibly powerful and impervious to water as long as everything is clean when it is applied. Most often you use it to attached a plastic tube to the edge of a door so the door "latches" into the seal on the stationary part of the door. The tube is similar in diameter to a wire. Might work, though I've never tried it on painted surfaces or carbon or anything having to do with bicycles. Not sure whether it would just attract dirt. C.R. Laurence makes it. Comes in different widths.
    I use this stuff; it works very well, I have used it on 4 different frames over the last 3 years. Understand it is more than tape; it has a formed channel for the cable with sticky areas on each side. I have no Di2 related zip-ties on my externally wired bike.

I am pondering a new frame; I will plan on external due to the potential for different wire harness needs down the road as Di2 changes.

Please post follow-up pics after you get your bike built.