Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DC Rapha store closed :-(

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default DC Rapha store closed :-(

Swung by the Rapha store in Georgetown just now, and it closed it's doors as of mid-February. Always enjoyed their club rides (though obviously didn't partake during this last year of the pandemic), and I'm sad to see it go. Anyone know what the official explanation is? I'm sure Covid restrictions have hit all of their stores hard, and wonder if other locations have also closed ...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: DC Rapha store closed :-(

They sent out an email - was the only store to close. Rumor was they closed up fast after a bunch of positives showed up after a group ride (even though the experts on here say it doesn't happen.) Į\_(ツ)_/Į
    This is my substitute for pistol and ball. With a philosophical flourish Cato throws himself upon his sword; I quietly take to the bike.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I thought long term Rapha was reducing their brick and mortar footprint and really just wanted to be online.
    Last edited by Too Tall; 02-27-2021 at 05:55 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The just finished a new, huge buildout for their Miami store. Itís a huge success. Sure doesnít look like theyíre moving back online as much as closing stores that donít have good ROI. Bummer though, I liked the store in Georgetown.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I’d guess the real estate costs in Georgetown are beyond out of control.
    La Cheeserie!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jmgorman View Post
    They sent out an email - was the only store to close. Rumor was they closed up fast after a bunch of positives showed up after a group ride (even though the experts on here say it doesn't happen.) Į\_(ツ)_/Į
    Oh, yikes, I better warn the fellas on this morning's rApha ride. Tho the guy in the SC Velo/HBC kit is fine; Gray Beard just got vaccinated yesterday morning. raphas.jpg

ldamelio is offline emperor of time, space and all dimensions known and unknown
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jmgorman View Post
    I'm not going to jump into the Covid/group ride vortex, but even if this anecdote is true, I doubt it has anything to do with the location closing.
    Lou D'Amelio
    Bucks County PA

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

DC is a strange place. Weird demographics and geography. Interstates and highways all over the area and yet nearly impossible to get anywhere. Hard place to make a business go and Georgetown is not the easiest spot either. I have never worked in a place that could be so busy with no one spending any money at all.
    Last edited by j44ke; 02-27-2021 at 07:59 PM.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ldamelio View Post
    I'm not going to jump into the Covid/group ride vortex, but even if this anecdote is true, I doubt it has anything to do with the location closing.
    Agree with this. I had been in there a handful of times for a coffee during a ride* and customers were very thin on the ground. Itís a good jumping off spot for a lot of nice riding but at the same time not that convenient from most folksí home base, and high dollar real estate to boot.

* and if you want a coffee mid ride in Georgetown, that donut place 50 yards east is a much better spot, not to mention dozens of other joints.
    Last edited by robin3mj; 02-27-2021 at 08:34 PM.
    my name is Matt

INSTA

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Saab2000 View Post
    Iíd guess the real estate costs in Georgetown are beyond out of control.

For sure. I donít know how this area got so overvalued. Maybe Iím mistaken. Real Estate there, and a lot of places continue to rise, even during the COVID pandemic. I wonder if the housing bubble is about to bust. Or will we continue to see a housing boom? Maybe itís really truly increased demand thatís driving real estate prices higher, or maybe itís just speculation thatís artificially inflating prices. How in the world is all of that even sustainable without a huge bubble bust coming soon?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by acorn View Post
    For sure. I don’t know how this area got so overvalued. Maybe I’m mistaken. Real Estate there, and a lot of places continue to rise, even during the COVID pandemic. I wonder if the housing bubble is about to bust. Or will we continue to see a housing boom? Maybe it’s really truly increased demand that’s driving real estate prices higher, or maybe it’s just speculation that’s artificially inflating prices. How in the world is all of that even sustainable without a huge bubble bust coming soon?
    Consider what happens every four years.
    Rapha is a brand. That's all.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ldamelio View Post
    You're absolutely right - that was careless, thoughtless rumor-mongering on my part. I enjoyed having the store around, even if I rarely popped in.
    This is my substitute for pistol and ball. With a philosophical flourish Cato throws himself upon his sword; I quietly take to the bike.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The folks next door at District Cycleworks were starting to get some good community engagement/events going precovid. They definitely got a lot of business from Rapha members as they were in the same vein of doing high end stuff. Between Rapha closing and Covid I hope they are doing OK, would love to see more events from them.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As this is a Obit. done and done I'd recommend spending all your $$ with Matt Moore@ District Cycle Works
    https://www.districtcycleworks.com

ENDORSED
    Last edited by Too Tall; 02-28-2021 at 01:15 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I live 24 miles from the Rapha store in Santa Monica, 9 miles from Golden Saddle Cyclery, 7 miles from Spoke Bicycle Cafe, 3 miles from ŗ bloc (Coffee/ Food/ Love/ Bicycles) and 1 mile from Team Dream Team's Cubhouse. All destinations for a ride and a coffee or beer, apparel with retail bike stuff optional. As a lifelong Angeleno who is over 30, my desire to visit the 3rd Street Promenade district rates up there with incarceration or a dental visit for the average 8 year old. So, I've chilled at the Rapha spot once. I'd like to have a chat with Rapha's real estate person. Melrose isn't too far from the Hollywood Hills....

https://www.instagram.com/abloc.la/
    https://www.spokebicyclecafe.com
    https://www.instagram.com/itsnotabikeshop/
    https://goldensaddlecyclery.com

For the all day rides which include the coast, I'll take Pedalers Fork (35 miles away) over Rapha, 100 to 1.
    https://www.pedalersfork.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Rapha DC clubhouse rides were some of my first group rides a few years back. I rode past it the other day and was very sad to see the doors closed and construction ongoing. It was a good place to meet other cyclists and I hope Disctrict Cycleworks or another shop can organize some group rides once herd immunity is achieved.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

While the Clubhouse is closed, the RCCDC Ride Leaders are developing some solo events/rides in the spring, and planning on group rides in DC/Loudoun Co towards the end of summer (as appropriate). Stay tuned!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Great news!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Fantastic, I'll join esp. if there is dirt involved.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Waltons gonna Walton.
    steve cortez

FNG

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast