User Tag List

Thread: D.C. bike shop

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default D.C. bike shop

Friend of a friend of a friend has become interested in cycling and is ready to jump in and buy a starter road bike. Though just 28, already has a significant back issue, a veteran as I understand it. Personally, I'd love to see him guided/followed by an owner/operator type at an old-school pro shop, but those kind of places are increasingly few and far between. (For that matter, what are the chances that a 28 year-old will appreciate old-school, so what do I know?) Still, any tips on recommended shops? This person lives in NW, says location doesn't matter that much, he's mobile.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: D.C. bike shop

I think it depends how NW he is. If he's upper NW, I'd suggest the Bike Place in Silver Spring. They'll definitely have the entry level he's looking for and the owner has a respect for the old school and capacity to do the pro-level work. If he's closer into the center, I might recommend the other direction, District Cycleworks. It's more of a boutique kind of place, but definite respect for pro-level work and service and totally tied into both the local fast kids and gravel yo's. Pricey service, but the best wrenches in the city right now.
    This is my substitute for pistol and ball. With a philosophical flourish Cato throws himself upon his sword; I quietly take to the bike.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bicycle Pro Shop in Georgetown. Last of the old school shops in DC.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

+1 District Cycleworks

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Matt @ District CycleWorks is the best, he might not be the place to get a starter bicycle. Same said for Bicycle Pro shop who used to be the first and last stop for a "real" old school pro shop...that ship sailed.

Mike Butchko in Silver Spring is worth the drive. The Bicycle Place has a large range, Mike does excellent fitting and he is properly grumpy ;)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

call ahead no matter what to see how their stock is going. In case you haven't heard, the pandemic wiped out 2020 inventory months ago, and we are right in the period between model years. At our shop, we have started to see the 2021 bikes trickling in already, but every brand and market is different. Goes without saying that entry level was the first to go.
    am I the only Marvin?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I had a good experience with Bicycle Outfitters in Leesburg when I had a mid GAP+C&O bike tour catastrophe. I guess the shop changed hands late last year and is now Revolutions by Maverick.

Entry level bikes are tough right now. Most shops have been out of most anything under $1800 since the spring. Even stuff like common parts and clothing is in short supply currently.

used might be the path of least resistance. also, given that he's got back issues some kind of gravel bike might be a good choice.

I do know a couple of shops in my area are helping people find appropriately sized used bikes. There might be a shop in DC doing a similar thing. It's a win win win. The guy selling his bike gets it sold at a safe place. The guy buying the bike gets something the right size that's had a mechanic look at it. The shop gets to do some mechanical and fitting work plus sell a couple accessories and build a relationship with a new customer.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the thoughts and suggestions, folks.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I recently discovered ProBike FC in Falls Church, VA. Their bikes for sale are high-end but they are great to deal with and don't mind chatting with you about small issues, even if it is not a dollar in their pockets. Alex, the mechanic, is one of the best I have dealt with and is fair and reasonable in pricing. The shop has several vintage bikes on display. A relaxed and friendly atmosphere.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rgordin View Post
    I recently discovered ProBike FC in Falls Church, VA. Their bikes for sale are high-end but they are great to deal with and don't mind chatting with you about small issues, even if it is not a dollar in their pockets. Alex, the mechanic, is one of the best I have dealt with and is fair and reasonable in pricing. The shop has several vintage bikes on display. A relaxed and friendly atmosphere.
    Great find. I must visit.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Too Tall View Post
    Great find. I must visit.
    My old neighborhood To complete the trip, walk around the corner to the Happy Tart for brunch and pastries, or maybe Clare & Don's for lunch (old team sponsor and a great diner-style lunch), then cross the street and browse around the historic Episcopal Church and cemetery (the is the Falls Church of George Washington fame). You're also steps away from Tinner Hill, an important place in African American history. Be a tourist while you're there, FC is a local gem- Virginia's version of Takoma Park.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tinner_Hill

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you are going to go to Falls Church you should also visit Bikenetic.
    Great shop!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CJones View Post
    If you are going to go to Falls Church you should also visit Bikenetic.
    Great shop!
    +1 for Bikenetic, that would actually be my choice for a new rider over ProBike that might be a little overwhelming for someone looking to join the tribe for the first time. Bikenetic is family owned, you'd get a good fitting and a laid back experience although I have no idea what it's like to visit any shop these days with COVID concerns. Availability of new stock is likely to be an issue as well, it may depend on who can provide a model you're interested in.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Good to know about Pro Bike. My only experience with them is I noticed them next door to a brewery that is not worth visiting again. Iím likely going to have a frame built up this winter so I may check them out.

Bikenetic is good as well. They tragically lost their head mechanic and ride leader recently.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ZenNMotion View Post
    My old neighborhood To complete the trip, walk around the corner to the Happy Tart for brunch and pastries, or maybe Clare & Don's for lunch (old team sponsor and a great diner-style lunch), then cross the street and browse around the historic Episcopal Church and cemetery (the is the Falls Church of George Washington fame). You're also steps away from Tinner Hill, an important place in African American history. Be a tourist while you're there, FC is a local gem- Virginia's version of Takoma Park.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tinner_Hill
    Thanks for the information. I am in Maryland but the better shops near me have closed. Next time I drive to Falls Church, I will take a little more time to explore.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Good to know about Bikenetic. You mentioned COVID. Last time I visited ProBike, no one in the shop was wearing a mask, though Alex, the mechanic, readily honored my request to wear one when I was dealing with him.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by robin3mj View Post
    Good to know about Pro Bike. My only experience with them is I noticed them next door to a brewery that is not worth visiting again. I’m likely going to have a frame built up this winter so I may check them out.

Bikenetic is good as well. They tragically lost their head mechanic and ride leader recently.
    This is terrible news. Pete Beers was a giant in the community, and I enjoyed so many rides he led- the worse the weather the more fun we seemed to have. His Stava route list should be bookmarked by every local rider.