Thread: Cycling Shoe Design

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Cycling Shoe Design

Quote Originally Posted by j44ke View Post
    SIDI doesn’t make Ergo 2 3 5 7 now up to 10 and has transitioned to a different foot form based on Peter Sagan’s feet (making that up but the switch seemed to coincide suspiciously soon after they signed him and gave him a pair of Wires.) Ergo 2 & 3 were the perfect shoes for my feet (with the Manolo Blahnik pointy toes) and I have a couple pairs that may outlast me, especially since I’ve stopped wearing road shoes entirely.
    Edit: Ah correction - they make the Genius 10:

and the Ergo 5:

Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just noticed that BikeTiresDirect is listing the Fizik Terra Powerstrap X4 as discontinued and selling them for $90.99. That's a nice pair of shoes for the price of a decent tubular tire.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by NorTX-Dave View Post
    Totally agree. So much that several years ago I scored 2 pair of NOS Shimano SH-R220's - the last pair are what I ride today. Call me old fashioned, but I much prefer hook-and-loop with ratcheting buckles over boa all day.
    I had multiple pairs of 240's that were moldable. Great shoes, really no complaints other than the aesthetics.

Seems like most contemporary shoes are a totally different construction, with much more soft and pliable uppers.
    I've since switched to Lake shoes with Boa's, and i can see how the combination of retention dials and softer construction
    is a thing. My old shimano's were so structured, it almost didn't matter if they were done up or not. If the shoe fits,
    both designs seem to work fine.

-g
    EPOst hoc ergo propter hoc

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rwsaunders View Post
    Letís use two different length boas and oh yeah, letís make one of them one-sided, so that you have to scour Europe to find a replacement.
    Are those SIDI dials even actually made by Boa? The ones on my SIDI Dragons have almost nothing in common with any Boa dial I've ever used.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Ross View Post
    Are those SIDI dials even actually made by Boa? The ones on my SIDI Dragons have almost nothing in common with any Boa dial I've ever used
    I don’t think so...it’s making Xerox a verb.
    rw saunders
    hey, how lucky can one man get.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

To answer Jorn's comment, the forward strap for me gets adjusted because that's the biggest change with thinner or thicker socks. And also if I put a toe warmer or hand warmer packet in there. Pro tip from my brother the hockey ref, stick the toe warmer packet inside the boot, instead of to your socks. I've been doing it wrong for years -- doh!

Regarding the Boa closure, anybody else have them mysteriously pop open? My guess is that casual contact with trailside vegetation and debris can pull up the button.

On the Hinault-era slippers, I really dug those long and low openings. So many newer shoes (looking at you, Lake) bring the front so high and back that the inside corner plays hell with my bony ankles.
    Trod Harland, Physical Educator

Not everything that is faced can be changed, but nothing can be changed until it is faced. ó James Baldwin

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by thollandpe View Post
    To answer Jorn's comment, the forward strap for me gets adjusted because that's the biggest change with thinner or thicker socks. And also if I put a toe warmer or hand warmer packet in there. Pro tip from my brother the hockey ref, stick the toe warmer packet inside the boot, instead of to your socks. I've been doing it wrong for years -- doh!

Regarding the Boa closure, anybody else have them mysteriously pop open? My guess is that casual contact with trailside vegetation and debris can pull up the button.

On the Hinault-era slippers, I really dug those long and low openings. So many newer shoes (looking at you, Lake) bring the front so high and back that the inside corner plays hell with my bony ankles.
    I took a hammer to the Specialized Recons I have because the part of the shoe that holds the top eyelet was so stiff it cut my ankle. Now it is nice and flexible.

The Boas I have on my Fiziks were so hard to open at first I was afraid I was going to rip them out of the shoes. Now they just remove finger nails but open.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've always bought shoes in this pricepoint and, for me, that metatarsal velcro strap has never served any purpose. Loose or tight, the strap didn't seem to matter. I just bought a pair of Shimano XC 7s.

I ride almost entirely rural gravel roads and fire roads with a bit of non-technical singletrack in the mix so these will be really my only shoes for awhile. I haven't ridden in them yet, but the upper is very soft, and the double-boa feels very secure and distributes pressure uniformly around my foot. I think I'll like them.

Screenshot_2021-05-13 SH-XC701.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Are they perforated? I'm thinking towards buying a pair of shoes I can use for general non spirited riding and cyclocross

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by AntLockyer View Post
    Are they perforated? I'm thinking towards buying a pair of shoes I can use for general non spirited riding and cyclocross
    They are perforated, but behind the perforations is a kind of mesh liner, similar to what you'd see in a running shoe. In other words, the small holes you see in the photo above aren't completely open.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cool, thanks

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12