Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Cycling kit in & around Detroit

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Cycling kit in & around Detroit

An American friend is travelling from here (France) to Detroit in a couple of weeks. Heís just got into cycling & wants to buy some road kit while heís there. Any suggestions for good shops he should visit?
    Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Cycling kit in & around Detroit

Iím a metro Detroiter and Iím not aware of anyone that stocks a good supply. All shops have some but not a lot. The clothing works, at least in m the experience, has moved on line.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Likewise, I live in the greater Ann Arbor area and while there are about 3-4 LBS's in the area, none of them sell much in the way of clothing/road kits. There's also an REI here but of course they only sell general brand cycling gear. Sic Transit sells Ann Arbor logo-specific baseball caps but that's about it.
    Riding with a live hornet in your mouth is not advised.:eek:

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah, Detroit and SE Mich is tough. Northern Michigan yields much more off the top of my head (Norte out of Traverse City or Stormy Kromer in the UP for example have some cool stuff). Down here just the local velo group jerseys and such from my observations as they blow by me.

Bells Brewery also does some bike stuff, but that's west side.

Ryan

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks very much for your answers - Iíve passed them on 👍

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah, even large US bike shops normally don't carry a ton of clothing and this year in particular stuff is selling out in popular sizes very quickly. A couple of the large manufacturers (Trek, Specialized, etc) have searchable inventory systems that would enable your friend to find specific items at local shops.

but the more premium cycling kit doesn't have much of a brick and mortar presence these days. everything not attached to a bike brand is direct ship from manufacturers. I'm assuming your friend is trying to get around import duties and high local costs. if they're going to be in one place for some time I'd recommend just ordering online and getting it shipped to the hotel (or a home address of a business colleague). FWIW, the pieces I've gotten from Eliel cycling have been fantastic and quick to arrive.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the info! I think he wants to buy kit there so he can try it on - he's 6í4Ē & big build so buying some of the European brands online can be a bit of a sizing lottery the first time.
    Iíll certainly give him the tip about Eliel though - looks cool.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Eliel sizing is so messed up. They say that their XL fits chest size 42.5-45. Castelli says their XXL fits chest size 43. I wear a size 43 suit. Castelli XXL fits me perfectly. Ordered a custom Speedvagen jersey by Eliel. Seems logical that XL would be a good choice. Not so much. It is literally 18 inches pit to pit vs the Castelli at 22.5 inches. Thatís 5 inches less circumference! Both supposed to fit sane chest size.

I had to ask them to measure an XL Jersey as I couldnít believe it. Yep thatís XL. I asked why they canít have a reasonably accurate sizing chart. Maybe actual measurements? They said they are working on that. Itís been months and no changes to their website. I guess it works out for them. Didnít work out so well for me. Wont spend another dime with them.

Iím 6í3. Better tell your friend to buy a 4x in eliel. And maybe consider having a couple ribs removed.

Jon

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by stackie View Post
    Eliel sizing is so messed up. They say that their XL fits chest size 42.5-45. Castelli says their XXL fits chest size 43. I wear a size 43 suit. Castelli XXL fits me perfectly. Ordered a custom Speedvagen jersey by Eliel. Seems logical that XL would be a good choice. Not so much. It is literally 18 inches pit to pit vs the Castelli at 22.5 inches. That’s 5 inches less circumference! Both supposed to fit sane chest size.

I had to ask them to measure an XL Jersey as I couldn’t believe it. Yep that’s XL. I asked why they can’t have a reasonably accurate sizing chart. Maybe actual measurements? They said they are working on that. It’s been months and no changes to their website. I guess it works out for them. Didn’t work out so well for me. Wont spend another dime with them.

I’m 6’3. Better tell your friend to buy a 4x in eliel. And maybe consider having a couple ribs removed.

Jon
    I'm 6'1". I wear a small Eliel jersey.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Iíve not found much equivalence between suit jacket size and cycling clothing. And brand to brand sizing is ridiculously inconsistent. With laser cutting and micro-stitches or bonded seams, the trend in cycling jerseys has been towards second skin fit and mid-drift length. Even when they fit they are essentially too small. And Castelli, after being size-up for years, has become one of the more rational companies in their sizing.
    Last edited by j44ke; 3 Minutes Ago at 10:10 AM.