User Tag List

Thread: Cycling App - Create a route

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Cycling App - Create a route

In these COVID-times weíre living in a very rural area with limited cell service and thatís new to me for cycling. We also just learned that it will be no less than another three months before weíre back in the office. My usual method of getting lost, using the Force, and hopefully getting home before dark is great but Iíd like to be a bit more ďplannedĒ. Whatís out there for apps that allow for route planning at home on an iPhone, ipad and then you can read the cues on your phone if needed or print out a version? Iíd also like to see the mileage and elevation gain/loss as planning the ride at home. I donít need or want this to transfer to a GPS geegaw (e.g. Garmin) on my handlebars. Other than a phone I donít have any of that stuff. My brief look at MapMyRide, Strava, is they want you to buy the subscription version to create a route. Only canned routes are free and where I am there are virtually none. Is that true? What do folks use if they arenít fully committed to a special GPS device on their bike or not obsessing over KOMs on Strava? If I have to subscribe to an app to do this what do people like for Lo-fi folks like me?

Iíll get the first comment out there: ď...OK boomer, thatís called a paper map...Ē

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Cycling App - Create a route

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Komoot is another one
    DJ Boyd

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by vertical_doug View Post
    I'm a big fan of RideWithGPS, however, the route planner is only available on the app if you have a paid subscription. The free version doesn't do route planning on the app.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Google maps? If you want free. Just create a route with multiple sequential destinations. Then use voice turn by turn. Put the phone in your jersey pocket. Pretty easy to hear the directions even in traffic.

Ride With GPS is pretty solid though. I donít think the membership is that expensive. And it doesnít make the competitive aspects central like Strava does. Nor does it really emphasize the social aspect. I use it to make routes that then get uploaded directly into my Wahoo computer. Because the Wahoo operates independently from my phone, the phone battery doesnít get drained and I can use it for emergencies if needed.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think you only need to pay for Ride w/ GPS if you want to send routes to a Wahoo/Garmin. You can use it to plan routes. Not sure about transferring it to your phone. Maybe if you used the browser? Anyway, it is good. I also use Strava's heat map to help plan routes on RwGPS. The heatmap is really helpful for finding or avoiding routes in areas you don't know. I have used this combination to plan many routes.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rec head View Post
    I think you only need to pay for Ride w/ GPS if you want to send routes to a Wahoo/Garmin. You can use it to plan routes. Not sure about transferring it to your phone. Maybe if you used the browser? Anyway, it is good. I also use Strava's heat map to help plan routes on RwGPS. The heatmap is really helpful for finding or avoiding routes in areas you don't know. I have used this combination to plan many routes.
    Yes, there is a free option where you can design your own routes.

Compare Plans | Ride With GPS Help

Here is a summary of route features.

Route Planning | Ride With GPS Help

They have phone-based route planning, but it appears that is only for the two paid tiers.

Mobile Route Planning | Ride With GPS Help
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've always found ride with GPS to be somewhat frustrating to use the mapping interface, and it often routed me to roads that I wouldn't want to ride. Around here, Google maps seems to work best, so I map it in Google, then convert to a gpx for import to Wahoo with mapstogpx.com.

I may have to try the strata + RWGPS thing tho.
    My name is David Moeny

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ridewithgps has been a life saver for me in England. The roads are designed so invaders get lost and go in circles. I must have some Viking blood, because the old roads of Alfred continue to thwart me.

I usually pre-plan my route on ridewithgps.com on the computer. I save the route, then just download it to my phone... I only use it for a point of reference, since I try to create a mental map over time in my head. I am pretty good in Surrey Hills, and South downs now. But drop me off in Bath, Cotwolds or West of Winchester and I am back to riding in circles.... It's amazing

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I do all of my route mapping with RidewithGPS. The route planner keeps getting better. Definitely a great investment if you ride off the beaten track.
    Guy Washburn

Photography > www.guywashburn.com

Most people wait for the muse to turn up. That's terribly unreliable. I have to sit down and pursue the muse by attempting to work.
    Nick Cave

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Dmoeny View Post
    I've always found ride with GPS to be somewhat frustrating to use the mapping interface, and it often routed me to roads that I wouldn't want to ride. Around here, Google maps seems to work best, so I map it in Google, then convert to a gpx for import to Wahoo with mapstogpx.com.

I may have to try the strata + RWGPS thing tho.
    When you run into that, change the map making setting to walking. Usually it means that Ride With GPS thinks that road is one way or just indeterminate, so rather than routing you that way, it just skips around it. Also sometimes it helps to zoom the section it won't let you route through, and click on the exact side of the road (or bike path on the side of the road) you would ride on and the waypoint will stick. This can help when navigating a round-about or an intersection with a flyover or similar. You can also change map source in the upper right corner of the map to select a different mapping system. Sometimes the info is better in one system than another. Google versus OpenMaps etc.
    Last edited by j44ke; 1 Week Ago at 08:05 PM.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Strava > Ridewithgps > Komoot

Just hope you don't mind paying for Strava! Ducks for cover...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I found this pretty useful, despite being on the other side of the world. These guys plan some very cool routes and have good pointers on how to find stuff that might not exist in certain platforms, plus Dusty K is one of the most entertaining people on YouTube.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by guido View Post
    I do all of my route mapping with RidewithGPS. The route planner keeps getting better. Definitely a great investment if you ride off the beaten track.
    And it just got better again. Tracing a route in Ride With GPS creates very accurate cue sheets that can be printed out as back up in case of battery issues or whatever. Used to have to do it manually, but they've just added an auto-trace feature. That's great (assuming it works well!)
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

One thing that might be helpful is to download a local map for your area. then you'll be able to use the phone to navigate even when you have poor or no signal.

instructions for android: Download areas and navigate offline - Android - Google Maps Help
    instructions for iphone: Download areas and navigate offline - iPhone & iPad - Google Maps Help

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by zachateseverything View Post
    One thing that might be helpful is to download a local map for your area. then you'll be able to use the phone to navigate even when you have poor or no signal.

instructions for android: Download areas and navigate offline - Android - Google Maps Help
    instructions for iphone: Download areas and navigate offline - iPhone & iPad - Google Maps Help
    This is a good idea, but, be aware, it only does "car" routing in offline mode. It won't let you do "bike" directions. Not the end of the world, but, frustrating to me when I realized it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I build all my routes in Strava. I feel like I get my money's worth out of Strava.
    Will Neide (pronounced Nighty, like the thing worn to bed)

Webpage : : Flickr : : Tumblr : : Facebook
    Instagram: wilco_cycleworks

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Will Neide View Post
    I build all my routes in Strava. I feel like I get my money's worth out of Strava.
    I build most of my routes on Strava too, but I use the free route builder on the PC and then I export them to my Garmin. I would imagine there's some kind of free phone app that will do navigation from GPX routes.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Strava route builder is really good and uses past ride data to help plan - for example it will route you along back streets if they're ridden more than a direct road.

The only downside is it doesn't differentiate between road and mountain bikes so occasionally I've had some surprises. Doing a quick overview with Google Street View to check surfaces gets around this.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Tristan View Post
    The Strava route builder is really good and uses past ride data to help plan - for example it will route you along back streets if they're ridden more than a direct road.

The only downside is it doesn't differentiate between road and mountain bikes so occasionally I've had some surprises. Doing a quick overview with Google Street View to check surfaces gets around this.
    The latest update added surface type differentiation, which they have also made easier to see on the maps themselves.

They also seem to have finally made the heatmap overlay default to on, which should eliminate confusion a lot of people seem to have about accessing this.