User Tag List

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Thread: CX Rules 2020-21 (spoilers I betcha)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default CX Rules 2020-21 (spoilers I betcha)

I have not yet figured out the schedule. And I don't know where various riders are, although I got a glimpse of Ceylin Carmen Alvarado on a mountain bike on Red Bull's coverage of Nové Mêsto (did I understand correctly that NM is the only UCI WC race this year?) And today, everyone appeared to be racing through tailings at a coal mine. But it was fun to see Toon & Eli & Laurens duking it out. And Lucinda Brand pulled off a nice win over Yara Kastelijn.

Looks like Anna Kay is determined to ride obstacles where others are dismounting. And I like the Manon Bakker and Aniek van Alphen twin attack. van Alphen won Rapencross last week. Not sure if Sanne Cant is faster this year or the same. No Annamarie Worst yet?

I'm watching Neils Vandeputte of Alpecin-Fenix. He has been racing near the front. For a while at Rapencross he was 3 or 4 but slipped back to 8 later in the race.

What else?
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: CX Rules 2020-21 (spoilers I betcha)

It was really fun seeing MvdP ripping GC apart in the Binck Bank with 75 K to go.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by j44ke View Post
    did I understand correctly that NM is the only UCI WC race this year?)
    Well do be faire there were 2 WC at Nove Mesto but yes, there is no overall world cup title and these races mereley serve at giving the riders some race legs and pick up the start order for the world championship next week.
    --
    T h o m a s

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Carmen Alvarado raced like she had just placed 3rd in the MTN WC's. A bit of a stumble at the beginning, but no panic. Switched out her bike, got her rhythm back and that was that. Cant crashed into the back of Yara Kastelijn at the start and finished 10th. Zoe Backstedt was 11th or 12th? Lucinda Brand seemed to be nursing a stiff back or something. She had her hand on her right rear hip at the end, wincing a bit and shaking her head. Van Alphen committed to hopping barriers even if that meant a face plant on at least one attempt. Add Worst and Alvarado to the mix and the whole race is so much faster.

I think Cant just got caught up in a crowd this time, but it does seem like there are two riders that no one wants to ride behind - Kastelijn and Betsema - I'm going to guess because of their unpredictable bike handling.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Interesting to see where Hyde landed, on the newly formed Tilford Foundation team. The group overall looks like it's got a pretty solid foundation. Wonder how much racing we'll see stateside.
    -Dustin

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What happened with Alvarado at Koppenbergcross this weekend? She finished 7th but 1:50something back. I saw the race but no commentary. Didn’t see anything other than maybe a slow start?

edit: Not that she should win every race, just that a sudden drop in power can be followed by a covid positive these days.
    Last edited by j44ke; 11-01-2020 at 05:57 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Latest round of the Alvarado v. Worst racing rivalry at the Euro champs. Whew. Just great full tilt racing back and forth.

If you are missing the races, they are on the GCN app. You can use Airplay to stream the feed from your phone to the TV or whatever larger screen. Quality is very good. J-Pow is doing commentary usually and then someone from Eurosport is the presenter.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you missed Tabor, both the men's and women's pro races were good. They are all on GCN's app, and you can streaming it from your phone or iPad to a TV device or smart TV, so they haven't locked that aspect out. Picture quality is great, commentary is not. Marty McDonald and Jeremy Powers need to study the Belgian guys at Sporza - don't shout all race long! Present the race, commentate, critique, but you are allowed to take a breath you know?

Unfortunately Shirin van Anrooij got very badly injured in a first corner crash. Sven Nys sounded a bit shaken by the whole thing even though he was not speaking English and I couldn't understand exactly what he was saying.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Unfortunately Shirin van Anrooij got very badly injured in a first corner crash. Sven Nys sounded a bit shaken by the whole thing even though he was not speaking English and I couldn't understand exactly what he was saying.
    Via the CXHairs Twitter account:

Screen Shot 2020-11-30 at 8.34.03 AM.jpg
    Dan Fuller, local bicycle enthusiast

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 72gmc View Post
    Via the CXHairs Twitter account:

Screen Shot 2020-11-30 at 8.34.03 AM.jpg
    Excellent news considering. Thanks!
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Also noted at Tabor:

There were several “hold my beer” moments for Sanne Cant where other more junior riders were bungling off-camber sections and muddy ascents/descents that she cleaned like the pro that she is. Made me chuckle a couple times. Good to see.

Riders still do not want to be behind Betsema or Kastelijn on steep ups or points where there will be a dismount/remount. If you can run around either in a sand section, you can put seconds into them on the remount.

Lucinda Brand has been listening to everything that Sven Nys has been saying and has been practicing all of it over and over. She gets better every race, and the biggest change is that she knows how to race to win from 3rd or 4th place.

Alvarado is so focused on Betsema as her evil nemesis that she is creating opportunities for Brand. Alvarado is the strongest most durable rider with the best bike handling out there, but if she chases Betsema all race, she’s just going to get tired.

I think the men’s races are approaching the same quality the women’s races had two years ago. The women’s races are slightly less exciting, but they are still great. Tactics have gone up a notch in both, and watching Vanthourenhout take Iserbyt apart piece by piece on the last lap at Tabor was as great as watching Brand come to the front and bury everyone else on last couple laps.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If Worst can figure out how to survive early power punches from Brand and the doper, the last corner will become even narrower.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tactics have gone up a notch in both, and watching Vanthourenhout take Iserbyt apart piece by piece on the last lap at Tabor was as great as watching Brand come to the front and bury everyone else on last couple laps.
    That was great. I kept saying don't look back. He has often been lacking that tiny thing that makes you a regular winner, I am glad he could get a big one.
    --
    T h o m a s

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was missing Svenness. Then I found CXs and Os:

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 72gmc View Post
    I was missing Svenness. Then I found CXs and Os:

That's good, but again, she's focused on Betsema and Brand takes advantage. And Betsema is a double risk because she has some power so Alvarado has to work to keep on her wheel, but Betsema is also a klutz so following close puts the follower at risk of getting held up. Maybe she's discounting Brand a bit because Brand has tried in the past to capitalize on Alvarado v. Worst, but Alvarado has still gotten the better of Brand. But Brand has improved and fit with no nagging injuries right now.

I guess basically it is tough being World Champ.

If Worst gets her mojo back that will be something. Presenters keep mentioning a serious shoulder injury before the season that kept her off her bike for a month(?) so maybe that's it.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sk_tle View Post
    That was great. I kept saying don't look back. He has often been lacking that tiny thing that makes you a regular winner, I am glad he could get a big one.
    He looked like he was enjoying himself too. That's all Iserbyt needs, right? Another tall thin guy to chase all over the course.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you missed Tabor, both the men's and women's pro races were good. They are all on GCN's app, and you can streaming it from your phone or iPad to a TV device or smart TV, so they haven't locked that aspect out. Picture quality is great, commentary is not. Marty McDonald and Jeremy Powers need to study the Belgian guys at Sporza - don't shout all race long! Present the race, commentate, critique, but you are allowed to take a breath you know?
    I have to say that I'm enjoying the GCN commentary. I've spent so many years watching pixel blur thorugh some odd streaming site only understandin "pats!" and "kettinge eraf". What I've always wanted to hear is what Jeremy has to offer: he knows these riders and has been there with them. He knows how the tracks feel and can transmit that information to the viewers. As I'm not that big of a sports fan except for cycling I don't have a clue what could be done better in terms of casting. The constant talking doesn't bother me that much, I think it goes well with the feeling of a hectic cross race for me.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Daschund View Post
    I have to say that I'm enjoying the GCN commentary. I've spent so many years watching pixel blur thorugh some odd streaming site only understandin "pats!" and "kettinge eraf". What I've always wanted to hear is what Jeremy has to offer: he knows these riders and has been there with them. He knows how the tracks feel and can transmit that information to the viewers. As I'm not that big of a sports fan except for cycling I don't have a clue what could be done better in terms of casting. The constant talking doesn't bother me that much, I think it goes well with the feeling of a hectic cross race for me.
    I was too declarative. They are in no way horrible and Powers obviously knows a lot about cross. And the Sporza guys are the best in the business & have been doing this since cross was invented (perhaps they invented cross even) so probably not fair to compare. And unlike Sporza, neither commentator is at the races. Even before covid, they are both in a room staring at a computer screen. But what’s the saying? If everything is an emergency, nothing is? You can still convey excitement and breathe. Plus if you are just reporting what the riders are doing and not providing analysis then you are announcing for radio on the television, you know?

But they are getting better. And you can hear good things come through. Powers said during the city cross race that Worst has suffered from equipment problems a lot this season. He knows Worst, interviewed her a couple times for GCN, so perhaps he’s had some conversation with her or her “people” (Worst, like Alvarado and Sanne Cant and likely others, has her mom at every race providing support and taking care of her at the finish.) Is that like when Cant was the top women’s rider and someone figured out her team had her riding 1-2 year old Ultegra? So that’s great. More of that.
    Last edited by j44ke; 12-01-2020 at 09:08 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I understand your point. Sporza guys have a subtle style, but you can always tell when something is happening. I actually quite enjoy listening to them although I understand nothing of it. When I hear dutch nowadays it's funny; familiar and related to many memories , but no meaningful translation is being done. When I hear "Renaat" I know it's business.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Daschund View Post
    I understand your point. Sporza guys have a subtle style, but you can always tell when something is happening. I actually quite enjoy listening to them although I understand nothing of it. When I hear dutch nowadays it's funny; familiar and related to many memories , but no meaningful translation is being done. When I hear "Renaat" I know it's business.
    Exactly! I want to make a t-shirt that says "Renaat!!". I think I'd sell a million at CX races. I'll send Renaat any profits. He's incredible. When he's not doing CX, he's strapped to the back of a motorcycle reporting from the peloton, sun, rain, snow, mud, etc.

And the second t-shirt will be "Oh Oh Oh!".
    Last edited by j44ke; 12-01-2020 at 07:09 PM.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast