User Tag List

Thread: Current UPS bike shipping time

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Default Current UPS bike shipping time

Does anyone here who's been shipping bikes regularly have a sense of how long UPS is taking to ship a bike from New England to the Mountain West?

I'm headed out to Sheridan, WY in two weeks for my cousin's wedding. I hear there is great mountain biking out there but there are no bike rentals to be had. I expect I could make arrangements to ship a bike to a local shop, but it's going to take a bit to get a box, pack the bike, etc. and I want to leave plenty of time.

What's the ballpark? A week? 10 days? Outcome uncertain? Thanks in advance.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Current UPS bike shipping time

Check BikeFlights. They are usually pretty accurate. You might want to use them anyway. Rates are good.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by j44ke View Post
    Check BikeFlights. They are usually pretty accurate. You might want to use them anyway. Rates are good.
    Oh yeah, I was just on there - I had forgotten they had such precise delivery forecasts. Looks like its only 4 or 5 days right now. I've got to look into shipping in two boxes, though. One big bike box is on the order of $140.00 each way, plus $37ish each way if I want to insure for full value.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by lumpy View Post
    Oh yeah, I was just on there - I had forgotten they had such precise delivery forecasts. Looks like its only 4 or 5 days right now. I've got to look into shipping in two boxes, though. One big bike box is on the order of $140.00 each way, plus $37ish each way if I want to insure for full value.
    I just shipped a bike from Seattle to Washington DC last week with ShipBikes. Total was $168 including $2000 insurance. I shipped it on Wednesday, flew back to DC Thursday, and it just arrived this morning. I think that was one day early, as it was promised by Wednesday. Interestingly enough, I also shipped golf clubs through Shipsticks (Fedex was the carrier), and since I didn't need them quickly did the cheapest option. Both bike and clubs were picked up by Fedex at the same time last Wednesday. Both made it to Hagerstown, MD Sunday night, but the golf clubs arrived in DC on Monday, and the bike Tuesday.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I sent a bike via ShipBikes who use FedEx from Maine to Illinois for $78. It took 3 days. Only insured for $900.

David

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've been shipping things pretty regularly the past 18 months or whatever the current Covid period is and UPS is basically on schedule for what you pay for - maybe a day late at the most.

My experience with USPS has been the opposite but I know they've been dealt a Trump/LeJoy shit sandwich, so I accept it and treat their employees with as much kindness as I have in me. The Detroit distribution center down here was hit hard with labor shortfalls, etc. Stuff sat for a long time. But nobody died from the delay and everything eventually got here.

Ryan

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I'm going to look into Shipbikes as well; thanks for that lead. Now I've got to decide which bike to bring and make sure it's ready for travel.
    I guess I also need to call a local shop and make sure the places I want to ride are accessible given the fire season out there this year.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Are you flying?

If so: Delta, American, JetBlue, etc only charge a standard checked bag fee for bikes. On American that's $30 each way. United charges oversized, so that won't work.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I’ve heard BikeFlights horror stories lately about bad customer service. Also notice they just posted an ad for a new customer service position…
    Co-incidence?

I’ve flown a couple times this spring- while more airlines aren’t immediately whacking you with crazy fees, the ones where “bikes fly as normal bags”, like American, still will charge you $150 if your box weighs more than 50 pounds or if you are checking a normal bag and a bike bag.

I travel with so much timing gear that i can’t get a bike box to less than 50 pounds with all my gear for a few days of work, but a wedding, you might be good!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

lumpy -- I have a Pika Packworks large soft flight case you can borrow if the "take it with you on the flight" approach works for you. Send me an email.
    Guy Washburn

Photography > www.guywashburn.com

“Instructions for living a life: Pay attention. Be astonished. Tell about it.”
    – Mary Oliver

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by guido View Post
    lumpy -- I have a Pika Packworks large soft flight case you can borrow if the "take it with you on the flight" approach works for you. Send me an email.
    That's very generous - will do!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pinned View Post
    Are you flying?

If so: Delta, American, JetBlue, etc only charge a standard checked bag fee for bikes. On American that's $30 each way. United charges oversized, so that won't work.
    I'm concerned about fitting a bike box into the rental car, but I'm still going to look into this.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by lumpy View Post
    I'm concerned about fitting a bike box into the rental car, but I'm still going to look into this.
    Just reporting back - the biggest uncertainty was that we didn't know how big a rental car we would get, so flying with a full-size box was out. And United Economy, which is how we roll, is punitive about bike boxes. I don't remember the figure but it added up something like $200 each way. I used a box that had formerly held a giant frame, and got the frame and front wheel in by removing the crank and fork. Rear wheel went in its own wheel box. Shipping on this was a hundred bucks each way, plus 30 each way for $2300 insurance. That seems fair. It took 4 days each way and the tracking was good. I shipped it to a cool little bike shop, the Sheridan Bicycle Company, who were also able to help me with local knowledge, a gummed up valve core and a pressure gauge, and new brake pads before a planned big day. The bike box took a beating but the bike looks fine. Good result. Thanks for the input.