Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Current state of bibs

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Current state of bibs

Hey all - after an extended hiatus from the bike, I'm back to riding regularly and have figured out that my two pair of bibs are not really cutting it, so I need to replenish a bit.

The last time I bought bibs was when Assos went all Kuku for cocoa puffs, so I'm just not really aware of what's out there or what has changed. Looking for bibs with a high-mile chamois. If it helps any, I use a saddle with a cut out.

Thanks for your recommendations!
    Daniel Rietz

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Current state of bibs

Personal preference plays a big role, but I'd still say the Rapha Pro Team II are my favorite for any ride over 50 miles (and rides under 50 miles in many cases). They also fly under the radar these days (at least I never see them around here), but Giordana's higher end offerings are still really good. I haven't liked Assos since they changed from aqua/teal accents to purple (S5 to S7 or something). La Passione gets some love these days but I never liked the pair I tried for anything over a couple hours. I may still have them kicking around somewhere if you wanted to give them a shot (size M). Velocio is also great, but once I hit the 4 or 5 hour mark, I still wish I was back in my Raphas.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm still stanning for Q36.5. Lots of other good options, but these remain my go-to.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Me too!

Quote Originally Posted by theflashunc View Post
    I'm still stanning for Q36.5. Lots of other good options, but these remain my go-to.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I want to try some Q36.5 bibs myself, but I end up with a drawer full of stuff that way, still I do want to try them out.

I've got what are at this point very old Rapha Classics I like, but I prefer bibs with the kuku penthouse over the Rapha Pro Team II, they're not bad but they don't do what I need them to do especially riding in the drops for a while. Recently got the RS S9 from Assos, still prefer the kuku in front but other than that they seem decent. I guess that means in a world where some of us are Krater Coolers and others Kuku's, I'm a Kuku, don't judge me.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Strongin View Post
    Personal preference plays a big role, but I'd still say the Rapha Pro Team II are my favorite for any ride over 50 miles (and rides under 50 miles in many cases). They also fly under the radar these days (at least I never see them around here), but Giordana's higher end offerings are still really good. I haven't liked Assos since they changed from aqua/teal accents to purple (S5 to S7 or something). La Passione gets some love these days but I never liked the pair I tried for anything over a couple hours. I may still have them kicking around somewhere if you wanted to give them a shot (size M). Velocio is also great, but once I hit the 4 or 5 hour mark, I still wish I was back in my Raphas.

Thumbs up on the two best brands for me as well.
    I go with Rapha classic, and I really like my Giordana too (can't remember the exact model).
    Assos is still tops for winter gear but not in bib shorts IMHO.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i really like my Isadore climbers bibs, but want to try their new recycled line. I like the longer leg and the pad is so nice. their Medio is also a very nice bib, but i reach for the climbers when i know i have a tough ride ahead. ill have to give rapha pros another shot, they didnt work for me last i tried. my sleeper brand is the danny shanes, their bibs are shockingly comfy and light weight.
    Matt Zilliox

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by drietz View Post
    . Looking for bibs with a high-mile chamois. If it helps any, I use a saddle with a cut out.
    I think all the major short brands are doing a very good chamois these days.
    Most are more similar than different.

It seems like brands are doing a range of bibs these days, some being designed for either high compression, or more forgiving stretch.
    The Rapha ProTeam bib is compressive, more so than their Classic or Cargo bib.
    Assos also does a range of compression, they even have an icon to show you the level. The cento is more forgiving.
    Endura Pro SL is a very comfortable short if you're looking for something with more give.

-g
    EPOst hoc ergo propter hoc

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I tried out the Red White bibs and I like them, so far they're holding up well and they're cheap. I tried both chamois designs, I think I like their thinner one better but I really don't notice the other one after a few miles into a ride. Time will tell how they hold up to use.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Of the bunch recommended here, I think the Rapha Classic bibs have the poofiest chamois. I like the Assos T.Equipe Evos. I don't think they are kuku equipped. But I don't think anyone would call Assos chamois "mile-high".

Velocio gets ++ marks from my wife for chamois comfort, but she wears their cycling shorts not bibs. Not sure if there is any difference.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's funny , but in this stage, when I get in the long saddle hours (5+) , the shorts are the least of my problems. So I'm not obsessing about it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I haven't liked Assos since they changed from aqua/teal accents to purple (S5 to S7 or something).
    Ooh, that's good to know: I really like (liked?) Assos bibs, but I haven't bought any in a few years; the ones I own are all from their teal chamois period. Guess I gotta start paying attention to threads like these.

My second favorite bibs are Pear Izumi, but I have no idea what model mine are.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

See I'm definitely not a teal Assos fan, I hardly used/bought them at all during that period, just didn't like it. Loved the older stuff with the orange pad and then started using assos again when the pads went purple.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What's the life expectancy of a bib, from a chamois degradation standpoint?

My oldest set of bibs is 6 years old...I got some good natured ribbing about this recently because I keep a spreadsheet with purchase dates and amounts. The lycra is in good shape but I'm starting to wonder if the pad is not a puffy as it once was....even though I wash it with the A$$o$ detergent.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I get about 6 months before my regularly worn chamois flatten enough that they’re no longer useful for long rides.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

La Passione gets some love these days but I never liked the pair I tried for anything over a couple hours. .
    I find some of the La Passione to be OK, but the PSN version is as good as anything on the market IMHO.
    Geoff used to race around on a Brodie Sovereign
    Geoff Morgan

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Ross View Post
    Ooh, that's good to know: I really like (liked?) Assos bibs, but I haven't bought any in a few years; the ones I own are all from their teal chamois period. Guess I gotta start paying attention to threads like these.

My second favorite bibs are Pear Izumi, but I have no idea what model mine are.
    Quote Originally Posted by kytyree View Post
    See I'm definitely not a teal Assos fan, I hardly used/bought them at all during that period, just didn't like it. Loved the older stuff with the orange pad and then started using assos again when the pads went purple.
    The newest Equipes have a black chamois.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just coming off a Search and State hangover... Have landed on Ornot kit. The bibs are my favorite in memory, out of SAS, Girodana's racey stuff, team kits of different kinds, etc. Haven't tried others in the thread, but Ornot is vv good and vv stylish.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Boure Pro.

Because flat chamois.
    Because padding should be the saddle, not the bibs.
    Because great value, non-flashy design and superior service.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by kytyree View Post
    I think the orange pad era was superb.
    I still have a pair of knickers with the orange pad that I treasure and treat with kid gloves.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast