Thread: Current state of bibs

Eastern Vermont, White River Junction-Hanover, NH area
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Current state of bibs

Back on topic, my next pair of bibs is going to be a pair of Assos Cento Evos. Just a question of when, with the need for them winding down for this year.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by j44ke View Post
    After 3 rides, I really like them. I rode 46 miles on Saturday with no problems. They fit me really well, and they keep the chamois snug in its position without giving me the Assos wedgie. I have ridden the Rapha Core bibs since they came out, and the Assos Mille entry level (used to be NeoPro) for a number of years longer than that. I would say the Velocio bibshorts are significantly better in all ways compared to the Core bibs, and for me, they are better in sizing, cut, inseam length (maybe an extra 1") and chamois fit than Assos, with equivalent fabric and more comfortable compression. I thought I would be bothered by the crossed straps in the back, but they actually disappear completely. Didn't even think about them. I cannot imagine what Velocio's better bibs are like. They must be great.

Of course, I am interested in Strongin's caution about durability. I will never put in the miles he does, and my Assos bibshorts have been very durable, so we'll see if the Velocio's stand up well to what lately have been my "grueling" 2500-3000 mile years (not this year though ��.)
    Well so far the company is a fail. I ordered online and got the wrong product delivered today. Not the wrong size, an entirely different product. Called the customer service number on the invoice and it is a "non working number."

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Here is their website's listing for Contact Us: Contact Us | Velocio

They indicate that the best way to contact them is by email, and if you'd like to speak by phone, give them a number in the email and they will call you. A little unorthodox, but I had quick response by email on a sizing question, albeit a couple seasons ago.

They have some great looking winter stuff coming out. My impression is that they are doing well. At least, I can't imagine they have disappeared. More likely someone grabbed the wrong thing and their invoice stationary hasn't been updated. They are by no means a large company. Give them another chance to get it right.
    Last edited by j44ke; 4 Weeks Ago at 08:41 PM.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by j44ke View Post
    Here is their website's listing for Contact Us: Contact Us | Velocio

They indicate that the best way to contact them is by email, and if you'd like to speak by phone, give them a number in the email and they will call you. A little unorthodox, but I had quick response by email on a sizing question, albeit a couple seasons ago.

They have some great looking winter stuff coming out. My impression is that they are doing well. At least, I can't imagine they have disappeared. More likely someone grabbed the wrong thing and their invoice stationary hasn't been updated. They are by no means a large company. Give them another chance to get it right.
    Yup! They responded at 9pm to apologize and offer hearty discount as service recovery. My bad for getting frustrated over a pair of shorts. FWIW they mistakenly sent me the mesh liners and they fit well. But definitely not suitable unless worn under something else.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've been riding in the new Ritte bibs since D2R2. They are mighty, mighty nice.
    EIT chamois, italian fabrics, super nice cut, no dumb elastic leg band. I think the first batch of production shorts will be landing at the end of the month.
    mickey.denoncourt

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bobonli View Post
    Yup! They responded at 9pm to apologize and offer hearty discount as service recovery. My bad for getting frustrated over a pair of shorts. FWIW they mistakenly sent me the mesh liners and they fit well. But definitely not suitable unless worn under something else.
    That's good news. My impression has been right from the start of the company that they were good people.

I'm liking their Alpha LS Jersey Inner and Signature Soft-shell Outer system as a tag team approach to current irascible winter weather patterns.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have a couple of rides in the Velocio Foundation bibs. Nothing longer than 3 hours so far. Construction seems very good. Fairly compressive but I'm coming from shorts that are 4+ years old so probably anything new seems compressive. Pad stays where it should. I'm not sure it's as poofy as the the purple pad in my Assos T.cento S7's. Criss-cross straps took a little getting used to and then they disappear. If anything, these bibs make me wonder what the Signature model is like; the website indicates the pad is double layered but sizing and compression about the same as the Foundation. I'd purchase from them again.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have a couple of the Signatures and a couple of the Luxe. The chamois is about the same but the luxe fabric is much thicker and somewhat softer feeling. I prefer the signature most of the time, but thatís because I live in a swamp. Come winter, all 2 weeks of it, the extra weight of the luxe will be nice. I havenít tried the Foundation yet, but Iím a fan of the brand. Itís off topic from this thread, but their signature jersey is one of my favorites ever.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Also OT - I really like their Zero tights with stirrups. Makes sure the ankle bones have max coverage.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Can anyone suggest a good bib around usd100 - 120 price range? A bib with reasonably good compression is preferred.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by gravity View Post
    Can anyone suggest a good bib around usd100 - 120 price range? A bib with reasonably good compression is preferred.
    The aforementioned Velocio Foundation is $129 USD. I would say the compression is on par with Assos (though my Assos shorts are +5 years old so the comparison is not timely).

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by gravity View Post
    Sure, just go to the Assos outlet (swissiconic.com) and be patient until your size becomes available. Then buy two. BTW, I haven't tried the new S9 line of bibs but the S7 Mille is a great option, their best current bibshort IMHO. The codpiece look of the others (Equipe, Cento) is a real negative and I don't think they perform any better.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456