Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Current Colnago line-up

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Current Colnago line-up

Can someone tell me the differences between the current top-of-the-line Colnago carbon frames?

- C59
    - M10
    - EPS
    - CX-1

I gather that the C50, Extreme Power and Extreme C have been discontinued or updated.

Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Current Colnago line-up

i had dinner with alex colnago last week. here's the skinny. the c59 is replacing the eps and the c50...although the eps is still in the line-up untill they run out of pipes. the m10 is a super fancy top of the line monocoque bike. there is no one in italy capable of making the carbon for the thing so its made in taiwan. tubes and lugs and simple stuff is easy enough to do in italy but it just can't happen in italy....if they could find a reliable supplier they'd do it in a second. the bike is technologically superior in colnago's view to the c59 and they wish they could charge the same price for it- they can't and they won't but it is going after the dogma and the cervelos. interesting side note- dudes on bbox had the choice to ride a cx-1 or a eps this year. about half picked the cx-1 and half picked the eps. at the tour all the guys got a third option- the new c59-= every rider decided to ride it. it combines the weight and rigidity of the cx-1 with the solid colnago feel of the eps....

the cx-1 is a really, really cool bike. i wish centaur would give his thoughts on his here.....it's an underated bike because its seen as lesser than an eps because its cheaper- but its really, really nice.

anyways,
    jerk

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Your wish...

I have an EP and a CX-1. EP may have a "rounder" vibration feel, but the CX-1 is no plastic rattletrap. It really does climb well, as the reviews all say - something about the weight balance and the stiffness in the drivetrain. It's Colnago's thoughtful take on a modern Asian bike - light, stiff, great geometry for my taste, some careful engineering of the vibration to smooth it out and make the sounds good. If I wanted to race I'd pick the CX-1 over the EP in a heartbeat. The EP's stiffness is overstated, I'd say. It's a really nice, comfortable, competent bike with a touch of heft to it (as 'Nagos often do). I'd take it for a century over the CX-1. Both bikes can do either just fine of course, but that's the way I'd lean. Most importantly, in the price range, the CX-1 is, I suspect, a winner vs. an R3 or a Scott or a Ridley. In my stable, it's most like a Cento Uno that costs a lot more. A bargain, a performer, and a pleasure.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by JackStraw View Post
    Are you from Wichita? ;)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I own an Extreme-C, and it's the "skinny" version of the EPS. It's a shame they stopped making it, but they have replaced the bike with C59, m10, cx-1 and so on.

Jerk summed it up very well. Although I'm a huge fan of the lugged tubes and traditional geometry (which seems to become scarce by the day).

I cannot speak for other Colnago models, as I have only been on my Extreme-C and briefly on a C-40 once. Frames are VERY well constructed, ride is excellent. I'd love to get my hands on a c-59 in the near future.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Good call- I was just listening to a recent furthur show today-

Quote Originally Posted by Chauncey Matthews View Post
    Are you from Wichita? ;)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

jerk - thanks for the insight.

it appears colnago is spec'ing internal/integrated headsets now, correct? are they good quality?

I saw furthur this spring - great show. chimenti is outstanding on the keys. plus, they did a smokin' jack straw.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by JackStraw View Post
    jerk - thanks for the insight.

it appears colnago is spec'ing internal/integrated headsets now, correct? are they good quality?

I saw furthur this spring - great show. chimenti is outstanding on the keys. plus, they did a smokin' jack straw.
    yup they're good. the design is solid and you're not worrying about ovalizing your headtube with their take. the new colnagos all use english bbs which is cool too.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

not intending to hijack mr. straw's thread, but nevertheless in the spirit of sharing the women, the wine and the bike knowledge, could the bike experts among us please give me their thoughts on the master x-light. i have lusted after a steel 'nago for a while...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

the wheels are in the right place- the build quality isn't shoddy enough that it'll break and the tubing is heavy and stout do the fuckers don't wiggle it's a vestige of a race bike from an era where weight didn't matter and chemistry made guys have to break while going uphill. it alng with the mc leader and those Dario/banesto pinas were as good as race bike frames ever got. they were bikes for the era before restrictions and we're really lucky colnago still makes tje fucking things- even if no one- even the pros still have the enhanced engines to power'em.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

sorry for iPhone auto corrects there. hopefully that made almost as mch sense as Ronnie.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The master x-light feels like a feather next to the slx merckx corsa extra in my other hand. Cool steel ride.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

thanks for the input. tho i lack the engine, i will not be deterred from getting one. fortunately i'm pretty feathery myself so the weight of my bike isn't a big concern.