User Tag List

Thread: Crash Pads

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Crash Pads

Here's one I don't get with the new Assos GTO tights The GTO PAD and Bibs are great, but Assos's claims a lot of riders have been asking for a hip pad in tights for winter conditions.

I'm sure we have all gone done in the winter on slick surfaces, but I generally slide better in winter, so I don't really get the hip pads. Is it just me or is this too gimicky?

DASSOS_11.14.219.3D_41 (1).jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Crash Pads

Gimicky
    The older I get the faster I was Brian Clare

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Itís way too gimmicky. That said, I went down once on some black ice and hit the ground so fast I didnít even remotely have time to process what was happening. Got pretty bruised and scraped beneath my tights. It wasnít a nothing fall. Nothing broken thankfully but it was less fun than it should have been for the speed I was going, which was probably 15 mph.

The title made imagine a thread about a house near an airport with a dozen beds and populated with zombie-like, fatigued pilots and/or flight attendants.
    La Cheeserie!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I crashed once on black ice and broke my fibula, because as Saab2000 said, it happened so fast I couldn't even have time to unclip. No amount of pad on my hips would have helped that. I didn't had any road rash. As you said when it is slick you just slide easier.

This kind of pads would have reasons to exist first on racing bibs.
    Last edited by sk_tle; 10-18-2021 at 11:45 AM.
    --
    T h o m a s

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

On a day where that wouldn't be any help anyway I'm not riding. I tried to ride across a frozen pond. Because I was stupid I tried it twice. I guess I needed my hip and my knee all swollen up colored weird.
    Tom Ambros

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Tom View Post
    On a day where that wouldn't be any help anyway I'm not riding. I tried to ride across a frozen pond. Because I was stupid I tried it twice. I guess I needed my hip and my knee all swollen up colored weird.
    Quitter.
    This is my substitute for pistol and ball. With a philosophical flourish Cato throws himself upon his sword; I quietly take to the bike.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think they know who their market is and realize most of their customer are geriatric and would need a hip replacement in the case of a fall..........

Joking aside, I think the industry is long over due for actual protective gear for road cyclist......don't even get me started on helmets and what a racket that is.
    Not Riding!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by vertical_doug View Post
    Here's one I don't get with the new Assos GTO tights The GTO PAD and Bibs are great, but Assos's claims a lot of riders have been asking for a hip pad in tights for winter conditions.

I'm sure we have all gone done in the winter on slick surfaces, but I generally slide better in winter, so I don't really get the hip pads. Is it just me or is this too gimicky?

DASSOS_11.14.219.3D_41 (1).jpg
    I don't see these on the US site so maybe US wasn't asking for them?
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

At that price you should never go down.
    I did see them on the US site.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bironi View Post
    Oh yeah, see them now.

I might want a pair of those winter cargo pants. Because you can never have too many pockets.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bironi View Post

$550...well that sets a record. Maybe I'll buy Q36.5 tights, cut out the chamois from some old shorts and cram them down the outside of the legs. Then I can buy pints for all my riding buddies. Lots of pints.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Assos Rally bibs from years ago had an optional pad insert as well. I tossed them in the garage.

Useless.
    Darnell Laventhrop, Curling Coach

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 9tubes View Post
    $550...well that sets a record...
    Just ridiculous, who will buy these?
    The older I get the faster I was Brian Clare

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

On a day that those tights may possibly seem necessary... I'm going skiing

Brooklyn NY (but occasionally Barcelona, Spain, thanks to my rad wife's family)
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would've thought those ridiculous, until - voila! - I crashed in August, like everyone else said, so fast I can barely remember what happened, and in addition to the serious cuts and bruises, I also broke my femoral neck. I can't imagine that little bitty pad would do much given the amount of impact it takes to break a huge bone, but I confess I'm intrigued. But not $500 intrigued. Nope.

Sorry, I can't believe I haven't contributed here. I joined to read the "Smoked out" thread on Tom Kellogg and drink the Spectrum Kool-aide (bought an older one across the hall recently).

OK (doffing cap), carry on....

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by NaFent View Post
    I would've thought those ridiculous, until - voila! - I crashed in August, like everyone else said, so fast I can barely remember what happened, and in addition to the serious cuts and bruises, I also broke my femoral neck. I can't imagine that little bitty pad would do much given the amount of impact it takes to break a huge bone, but I confess I'm intrigued. But not $500 intrigued. Nope.

Sorry, I can't believe I haven't contributed here. I joined to read the "Smoked out" thread on Tom Kellogg and drink the Spectrum Kool-aide (bought an older one across the hall recently).

OK (doffing cap), carry on....
    Keep drinking! Recommend the other flavors of Kool-Aid we have here in Smoked Out and the bike galleries.

A friend snapped his femoral neck last year. Or 2019 I think. Slipped on rainy cobbles in Prague and that was that. The x-rays were intense. Lots of metal bits holding everything together. I'm guessing that pads would not have made much of a difference in his case. His bike was O.K. though.
    Last edited by j44ke; 4 Weeks Ago at 09:40 AM.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So far my own armor is:

Always- helmet
    Often- glasses, gloves
    Sometimes- shin guard
    Seldom- knee pads

I can still seriously hurt myself while wearing all of it and I think that protection gets a bad rap because it won't protect us from everything. People wearing helmets still get killed by cars but I have seen a lot of car vs bike accidents where the rider could have saved themselves much pain and stitches had they worn a helmet. Gloves might not save my wrists or collar bones but they can save the skin on my hands. These pads might be stupid but they might let you walk without a limp for a couple days. Assos are pretty expensive so I don't even know what the upcost on these is over the hip padless version. It is all up to you.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hmmmmmmm.........

I'll know Assos has gone to the dogs well and truly when the cafe racer knee slider lines come onto the market.

My last Assos purchase was some LL Mille S7 bib tights about 5 or 6 years back. They were on sale for AU $250 or thereabouts. I still gagged a little after hitting the pay now button but being discounted I managed to reconcile myself to that price eventually.

Brooklyn NY (but occasionally Barcelona, Spain, thanks to my rad wife's family)
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by j44ke View Post
    Keep drinking! Recommend the other flavors of Kool-Aid we have here in Smoked Out and the bike galleries.

A friend snapped his femoral neck last year. Or 2019 I think. Slipped on rainy cobbles in Prague and that was that. The x-rays were intense. Lots of metal bits holding everything together. I'm guessing that pads would not have made much of a difference in his case. His bike was O.K. though.
    @j44ke, thanks for the good word. i have a marvelous titanium contraption in my hip now, and after 10 weeks, walking without crutches and on the trainer again. hooray for good docs and modern tech.

Lots of kool-aid around here. watching that nitto/blue lug video posted a few days ago, i immediately lost an hour futzing around reading about nitto's history. that spectrum isn't my only old bike. have a bridgestone rb-t, a steel pinarello, a steel ciocc, and a steel couplered bilenky all-road. too many damned bikes!!!!