User Tag List

Thread: Cranks, track cranks

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Cranks, track cranks

ok, velo braintrust, what y'all been using for your 42.5mm chainline track / single-speed cranks?

back when I was young and simple, I'd just grab whatever road crank, take one ring off, flip the remaining ring (so I wouldn't have to spend extra for stack bolts), and cut some links from the chain.

now, I'm trying to get a good chainline and pick a good crank, good rings, and crank-bb interface.

the ubiquitous Miche Primato appears to be soft and scoots up the spindle, even with the mfg-spec bb. the inexpensive and ubiquitous Andel is machined, and I don't like machined cranks. the Campy is nice but pricey, and I can never tell if I need ISO or JIS spindle, and which is compatible with Italian threaded cups, etc. the DuraAce (which I have in a bin) uses OctaLink, which I do not prefer. the Sugino 75 looks great but costs more than I'm prepared to spend. I'm also interested in a narrow Q factor, if possible sub-140mm. Velo-Orange, of all things, looks nice, but is not available (is it just a version of Andel?..).

am I overthinking things for a supposedly simplest and cheapest possible implementation of a velocipede??

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Cranks, track cranks

Are you using this on the track or for a road-going bicycle?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Use the Dura Ace, no need to worry about octalink

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The miche pistard has an integrated 24mm axle and works with hollowtech cups. Should feel stiffer than the other mentionned.

Also, has the Sram Omnium disappeared from the market?
    --
    T h o m a s

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sk_tle View Post
    The miche pistard has an integrated 24mm axle and works with hollowtech cups. Should feel stiffer than the other mentionned.
    I built up an older Gunnar Street Dog (120mm track ends, mid reach brakes, road geo) last year and went with the Pistard and used a Shimano BB. So far so good. I've not been pleased with the not-stiff-enough square taper cranks I've used in the past and this is definitely an improvement.

Untitled by ColonelJLloyd, on Flickr

by ColonelJLloyd, on Flickr

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Noodlehead I know you said cheap however if I could and I was serious about getting something great and spending one time >> https://www.tracksupermarket.com/cra...k-set-njs.html

That's on the lower end of awesomeness.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Too Tall View Post
    Noodlehead I know you said cheap however if I could and I was serious about getting something great and spending one time >> https://www.tracksupermarket.com/cra...k-set-njs.html

That's on the lower end of awesomeness.
    I will second the Tall One's recommendation, and also just put in a plug for the Campagnolo Pista. Get a matching bottom bracket (iso 111mm offset +2right)) and enjoy the only crank that really gives a C-record crank a run for its aesthetic money.

Best Regards,

Will
    William deRosset
    Fort Collins CO USA

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

You can often fine tune at the hub end of things too - if you've got a conventional wheel, and a hub where the cones are on a threaded axle, you can position the hub on the axle so that the cog is exactly lined up with the chainring, then redish the wheel so the rim is back on centerline. I started with pretty cheap parts and it was all smooth as could be.

ETA: you've got to have some spacers between the locknuts and the cones that you can add or subtract - obviously the locknuts are already in the place where they are going to be on the axle.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by defspace View Post
    Are you using this on the track or for a road-going bicycle?
    This will be on a road going bike. Truth be told, I’ve owned or converted to 1x1 about 10 bikes or so. They all worked out ok, including one with vertical dropouts and a magic gear. But somehow for this build I’m trying to get it just right with a track group and clean black (yes, black) parts. The Sugino 75 is a swell choice.... with rings and bb it’ll run me almost half a kilo. I guess I could float the octalink set up, or maybe I’ll save up a bit. :-)