Thread: Cranks?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Cranks?

I'm looking for new cranks.

I originally bought Praxis cranks because i thought both the latest cranks from Campagnolo and Shimano were hateful. Time has softened that view slightly, but I would still have to close my eyes and think of England when I bought/installed/saw them.

Turns out the Praxis cranks use the same shite BB design as SRAM. Doesn't matter until it matters. Now it has.

SoI'm in need of a new set of cranks. I tend to agree with Rich that aftermarket cranks are more trouble than they are worth. I have a set of Lightning cranks on a bike that my son has grown into. He wouldn't care if I swapped them. But they are silent there so I won't be moving them.

Any one had any experience with White Industries cranks? They seem to look like cranks which works for me aesthetically. But I'd rather have quiet ugly cranks than noisy good looking ones. Anyone got any experience? Somehting else I should research?

T47 BB so spindle diameter matters not.
    Colin Mclelland

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Cranks?

What group is on the bike? And is it the SRAM GXP design you don't like?

Either way, if I had a T47 bike, I'd just go for whichever BB30 crank best fit the group or aesthetics I wanted. While BB30 bearings are shit, I've had great success with PF30 on most bike, bb and crank combos I've tried. And T47 replaces the bb with a threaded interface, so I'd be surprised to have problems with that setup.
    "I guess you're some weird relic of an obsolete age." - davids

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have a T47 68mm shell and a DUB BB on a bike currently and I advise against it. I have a huge amount of axle and spacers outside the shell which looks ugly. The plastic sleeve that is supposed to cover the axle is too big and doesn't work. Overall not that great. My White Ind. crank+BB is on order.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Rene Herse has some beauties.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Do square taper BB exist for T47 ?
    --
    T h o m a s

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sk_tle View Post
    Do square taper BB exist for T47 ?
    A T-47 version of this IRD/Tange would be quite the beast,

image.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For square taper cranks, Iíve had good luck with both Sugino and Da Vinci. Both look good compared to modern Xenomorph looking cranksóIíd say Da Vinci cranks look less good, even though I use them now, because the 110/74 spider is a triple spider and leaves the outer position empty if you use a double. I need to find a nice bash guard to fix that. Campagnolo square taper cranks were prettiest, of course, but I didnít need compact rings when I had those.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm not going to pretend that they were cheap or even reasonable, but my Cane Creek eeWings cranks are the most impressive bike component that I've purchased. If you are looking to splurge and want a crank that will most likely last a lifetime, then I highly recommend them.

I also like my White Inudstries cranks (I have 2). They are both square taper, but they also make a 30mm spindle version. The look good and work. Also made in the US if that's a priority.
    Will Neide (pronounced Nighty, like the thing worn to bed)

Webpage : : Flickr : : Tumblr : : Facebook
    Instagram: wilco_cycleworks

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Strongin View Post
    What group is on the bike?
    Itís a mongrel, but Shimano shifters and derailleurs

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Strongin View Post
    And is it the SRAM GXP design you don't like?
    Yep. Weíve got a couple of trouble free examples in the family, but the latest leaves me SOL. Itís a lazy design that doesnít leave a lot of wriggle room.
    Colin Mclelland

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you can find them or convince Rody to make you a set, the Groovy Hot Rods are pretty baller.

In general what I think you're probably after is any set of 24 or 30mm spindle cranks that meet your aesthetic requirements and has an honest to jibbers pre-load adjustment. The SRAM GXP cranks work ok when you're using a BB with a needle bearing in the NDS. They're not so good in an adapted floating BB like a BB30 with spacers. When you're fiddling around with a wave washer and various spacers to try to get the pre-load right you're going to have a bad time. Sometimes it gets noisy. Sometimes you end up with an asymmetric q-factor or a bad chainline. it's unfortunate but that's the preload system a lot of smaller crankset producers are going with. It's also more of a FSA thing than SRAM. SRAM puts an actual preload system on their 30mm and DUB stuff.

Dura Ace 7800 cranks would be the first ones I would look at. White industries is a good option too. Easton fits the bill as well.

Raceface Cadence cranks might be another one to consider. They've been out of production for a while but will work with any hollowtech-II equivalent bottom bracket and look different from Shimano.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have three sets of White Industries cranks, going back fifteen years or more. Used extensively single speed and VBC. Easy to swap. BB is easy to replace bearings in. I have never had any issue. Good customer service.
    Jay Dwight

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Will Neide View Post
    I'm not going to pretend that they were cheap or even reasonable, but my Cane Creek eeWings cranks are the most impressive bike component that I've purchased. If you are looking to splurge and want a crank that will most likely last a lifetime, then I highly recommend them.

I also like my White Inudstries cranks (I have 2). They are both square taper, but they also make a 30mm spindle version. The look good and work. Also made in the US if that's a priority.
    I did briefly look at Crane Creek - but unless I somehow sell the Zayante cranks for an insane amount of money (itís got a power metre so maybe?) I wonít be going there. Even if I do I think White Industries might be more my scene.
    Colin Mclelland

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Colinmclelland View Post
    I did briefly look at Crane Creek - but unless I somehow sell the Zayante cranks for an insane amount of money (itís got a power metre so maybe?) I wonít be going there. Even if I do I think White Industries might be more my scene.
    I have a White Industries T47 BB on one bike (with Hollogram cranks) and it's been problem free over the last 1,131 miles. It's mostly a wet'ish weather bike, so it doesn't always see sunny days. I'm sure you'll be happy with the 30mm spindle version and WI crank.
    Will Neide (pronounced Nighty, like the thing worn to bed)

Webpage : : Flickr : : Tumblr : : Facebook
    Instagram: wilco_cycleworks

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Colinmclelland View Post
    Any one had any experience with White Industries cranks? They seem to look like cranks which works for me aesthetically. But I'd rather have quiet ugly cranks than noisy good looking ones. Anyone got any experience? Somehting else I should research?
    I want to put the WI R30s on my Hampsten. I think they’re lovely cranks. Those or the eeWings, but I don’t have that kind of money right now.

Otherwise, just plain old Shimano. The 9100s would suit your bike and build better than the 9000s - or try and find a set of the Limited Edition carbon 7850s?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

FWIW Miche still produce modern looking black cranksets with a 5 star spider, the team evo max

It uses shimano 24mm compatible BB.

For.anyone looking for silver, Stronglight sells one too, the zlight but I am a bit less fond of its aesthetic:
    --
    T h o m a s

Eastern Vermont, White River Junction-Hanover, NH area
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just get another Praxis BB and be done with it?? The Zayante cranks are really nice; shifting with the Levatime rings is as good as it gets.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by thomas View Post
    Just get another Praxis BB and be done with it?? The Zayante cranks are really nice; shifting with the Levatime rings is as good as it gets.
    Gotta say, I don’t disagree with that ^^. Whenever I go with aftermarket chainrings I always seek out Praxis first.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by thomas View Post
    Except the Praxis cranks have a built in spindle. Iím not wealthy enough to get new cranks every six months
    Colin Mclelland

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So the spindle is worn or damaged? That’s a warranty issue in my opinion - I’d speak to Brent at Dawson Sports Group...

Eastern Vermont, White River Junction-Hanover, NH area
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Right. Is it a crank problem or just a worn out BB? Your initial post made it sound like the BB just crapped out on you.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast