Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Cranks?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Cranks?

Hmmm. Isn’t it the bottom bracket that is usually the culprit in these creaky noise issues and not the crankset? What’s wrong with getting a Shimano, Campagnolo, or SRAM crankset? Or even an aftermarket crankset like Praxis, Sugino, or anything else? Is it that you are concerned that many of the current cranksets have a built-in spindle? I’ve never heard that cranks with built-in spindles were more prone to creaking or failure.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by acorn View Post
    Hmmm. Isnít it the bottom bracket that is usually the culprit in these creaky noise issues and not the crankset? Whatís wrong with getting a Shimano, Campagnolo, or SRAM crankset? Or even an aftermarket crankset like Praxis, Sugino, or anything else? Is it that you are concerned that many of the current cranksets have a built-in spindle? Iíve never heard that cranks with built-in spindles were more prone to creaking or failure.
    What's wrong with it is I "hated" the look of the Shimano and Campy options. Now I don't hate it, but have you price checked a Shimano DA crank? Wow. I went with the aftermarket Praxis crank and matching BB. Bit me.

cranks.jpg
    Colin Mclelland

Eastern Vermont, White River Junction-Hanover, NH area
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You've lost me here. If that photo is of uneven wear on the spindle, that's not a crank issue, that's a frame issue, yes? Or installation issue? Has BB been faced lately?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by thomas View Post
    You've lost me here. If that photo is of uneven wear on the spindle, that's not a crank issue, that's a frame issue, yes? Or installation issue? Has BB been faced lately?
    that spindle could have been out of spec (and is likely trash). but yeah, I would check the frames alignment first before firing the parts cannon at the problem.

incidentally that's one advantage of a steel 24mm spindle. way more tolerant of frame misalignment. yeah the bearings will get trashed, but at least the expensive part will be alright.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sugino OX901d hurt my wallet, and hurt again when my wife saw the receipt, but it's a nice looking crank IMO.

https://www.suginoltd.co.jp/us/products/road/ox.html

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by thomas View Post
    BB is a Paragon Machine Works T47 insert so it was straight and true before being mounted. My processes don't put any great stress on the BB insert and I'm sure it isn't out of round as the cups threaded the way they should.

I chased and faced it after mounting and before installing the BB. I checked the width in several places and it was all OK.

After the problem occurred I asked Colin to check the BB width in several places in case I had missed something, he reported it being 68mm across in each of several locations. It remains possible that there is something we both missed but it appears increasingly unlikely that it's a frame issue.

I have committed to Colin that if it is a frame issue I will fix it and replace the crankset and BB at my expense.

Appleton WI -- home of Harry Houdini and Rocky Bleier
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Haven't seen mention of Rotor Aldhu/Vegast here, both available in 24 and 30mm spindles. What do people think of them for this situation -- or overall?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is that spindle actually ruined? Obviously something happened - but cosmetic or actual damage? Or things got loose and no one re-tightened to spec? Without figuring out what happened it seems questionable to just slap another crank in there.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've generally had a good experience with GXP, the proviso being to use either a Chris King or a Ceramic Speed bottom bracket with it, and not the SRAM bottom bracket. Expensive but much less money than changing the cranks, and the ceramic speed BB's really do spin beautifully.
    Instagram: rellonchris

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's been a few years since I was considering aftermarket cranks, are the Cannondale Hollowgram SISL2 still the be-all/end-all? Probably just as polarizing appearance-wise as the stock Shimano or Campy cranks, but in a different way...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sorry if I missed this, but are the bottom bracket bearings pressed in or threaded in? If they're pressed in I suspect a poorly aligned bearing is the culprit here. I don't think this requires a new crank. That wear looks like just the finish is gone and nothing worse.
    La Cheeserie!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

T47.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Ross View Post
    It's been a few years since I was considering aftermarket cranks, are the Cannondale Hollowgram SISL2 still the be-all/end-all?
    They never were, were they? This is the first time I've known of them to be spoken about in that way!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by RichTheRoadie View Post
    They never were, were they? This is the first time I've known of them to be spoken about in that way!
    I think they were very light and very stiff, at least when they were newer. It’s possible the major brands have now matched those metrics.

Personally, I always thought they were kind of unattractive or inelegant, as one might say in V-Salon speak. To my eyes, complete group sets are most attractive to a complete build.
    La Cheeserie!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I looked at the Cane Creek cranks because I love their other products, but the price was a bit of a shock. Ti is a pretty soft metal and I wonder how well it stands up to rubbing.

I like complete groups as well for road bikes, but mountain and gravel is always a mixed bag, especially when you don't buy an off the peg bike. Hope brakes. White crankset. Phil or White hubs, etc. They look well enough together.
    Jay Dwight

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Post Re: Cranks?

Quote Originally Posted by j44ke View Post
    Is that spindle actually ruined? Obviously something happened - but cosmetic or actual damage? Or things got loose and no one re-tightened to spec? Without figuring out what happened it seems questionable to just slap another crank in there.
    Yeah, I'll do some more digging first. Cosmetic damage to a part you can't see doesn't bother me in the slightest. It was the clunking lad led to the investigation in the first place. The noise is not OK for me. I like a quiet bike.

But, I'm pretty happy that it isn't/wasn't the frame. And I'm ABSOLUTELY happy that if it were Mark would just sort it.

And having had some time to reflect, I don't like that you are forced to use a proprietary BB with the Praxis cranks. And I really don't want another crankset where the spindle is an integral part of the crankset. The WI crankset solves both those issues.

Shift quality is the issue. All the reviews of the crank seem to gloss over that. I might just wait until Rich gets bored of his and buy a second hand set (175mm please Rich)...
    Colin Mclelland

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Can anybody offering the misaligned bearing theory explain how that would make a wear mark on only one side of the rotating part?
    Trod Harland, Physical Educator

Not everything that is faced can be changed, but nothing can be changed until it is faced. ó James Baldwin

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Colinmclelland View Post
    I might just wait until Rich gets bored of his and buy a second hand set (175mm please Rich)...
    Sorry, 170s here

Quote Originally Posted by thollandpe View Post
    Can anybody offering the misaligned bearing theory explain how that would make a wear mark on only one side of the rotating part?
    This confuses me too.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by thollandpe View Post
    No. I’d have to see the whole thing. It was the only thing I could think of though.

I’m no expert. The only pressed in BB I have is my Giant and thankfully it’s been trouble free after the initial installation had the bearings next super snug. The local LBS mechanic installed them with green Loctite and they’ve been good since.
    La Cheeserie!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Misaligned would create a circular mark, because it would be misaligned for the circumference of the rotation. Loose seems more likely, because it would rub unevenly based on contact created by uneven pressure. If the bare patch faces up when the drive side crank arm is pointed at the ground, then I'd say that something loose on the drive side is allowing the spindle to act like a lever against the NDS bearing.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast