Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cote D'Azur(Nice France)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Cote D'Azur(Nice France)

Anyone bike here. How does it compare to say a Girona for cycling. Was curious about researching a trip. Any good outfits? Was wondering if this is a good destination say versus a Girona, Mallorca etc. If you know of a good outfit to ride with that's helpful as well -Mike G

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Cote D'Azur(Nice France)

My 2 cents-
    Born down the road from Nice and spent many a summer in the area and my take on it is that feels like a tourist trap for Russians and English. It’s not really a French seaside village anymore- it’s become the Hamptons (NY reference).

The riding outside of town is good- lots of small roads.
    Day trip to the east and visit Luberon or Aix: great rides in that area as well.

I have not been to Girona but keep hearing great things about the experience- more authentic European experience
    What I am making now:7 sugars.
    Instagram: 7 sugars.

"Nothing is original. Steal from anywhere that resonates with inspiration or fuels your imagination.... Select only things to steal from that speak directly to your soul. If you do this, your work (and theft) will be authentic."
    ó Jim Jarmusch

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by the bottle ride View Post
    My 2 cents-
    Born down the road from Nice and spent many a summer in the area and my take on it is that feels like a tourist trap for Russians and English. It’s not really a French seaside village anymore- it’s become the Hamptons (NY reference).

The riding outside of town is good- lots of small roads.
    Day trip to the east and visit Luberon or Aix: great rides in that area as well.

I have not been to Girona but keep hearing great things about the experience- more authentic European experience
    i love Girona It is authentic. Discovered it after riding Mallorca twice and discovered I very much prefer Girona because of the more varied and quieter roads and the authentic expereince. Just want to try different things to compliment what I already do

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Years ago while staying in Antibes, rode the Gorge of the Loop. We drove out of town to start, ended in St Paul de Vence. Back away from the coast was much less traffic, beautiful riding.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The riding is incredible and not well known.

My experience is riding everything slightly south and alot more north of Quinson. Also, around Gorge Du Verdon which is nuts amazing.

If you are able, ride ANYTHING which begins at the s.end of the French Alps and go nuts. I've ridden many climbs that are not well documented...it is all fantastic.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Home base here.....

La Bastide de Moustiers

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Weíve done a few cycle tours there. Fly into and out of Nice. Ride towards the Alps. Itís all awesome. The Gorges du Vernon in particular (before you get to the Alps) although if you are camping, the summer heat is pretty brutal. Great lake though (OK, itís a dam, but itís great for swimming). Campgrounds everywhere, you donít really have to do any planning for a self-supported trip. Which is nice.

Longer ride from Nice, but if you are ticking of Gorges, the Tarn Gorge is also a pleasant ride, but not as spectacular as the Verdon.

Weíd go again in a heartbeat. Air fares are the only things keeping us away.
    Colin Mclelland

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Scott G. View Post
    Home base here.....

La Bastide de Moustiers
    Geez golly!
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

used to have a house in Sainte Maxime. As mentioned, the Gorges du Verdon is beautiful, a European version of your Grand Canyon; if you do any rock climbing that is top class too. You can also cycle around the old hill top villages (Plan de La Tour, Grimaud etc) on the Massiv des Maures, and around St Tropez which despite its reputation is a charming village with surrounding hills and vineyards (Ramatuelle and so on). Do not go at Easter or in the summer, bring your climbing legs and your wallet. Drink rose wine.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ask Lionel or Sebaudet. These guys are locals and know the obscure places.

I spent a half year in Toulon in 1988/1989 and the riding left a strong impression upon me. I hope to return and spend more time exploring. The riding is truly spectacular, especially with local guides.

My Michelin maps were well worn after my trip in the 1980s.
    La Cheeserie!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by lakeman77 View Post
    Years ago while staying in Antibes, rode the Gorge of the Loop. We drove out of town to start, ended in St Paul de Vence. Back away from the coast was much less traffic, beautiful riding.
    i think i'd like to do a trip in septer or october. seems like the best time of year

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Saab2000 View Post
    Ask Lionel or Sebaudet. These guys are locals and know the obscure places.
    We won't share easily though :) The Verdon ride is of course awesome.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We stayed a week in Fayance last fall...
    Great riding including the Canyon of Verdun.
    A lot of nice gorges, beautiful climbs and backroads.. small hill top villages.
    Fayance is probably 40k north of Nice and away from the hustle bustle of the port town.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Even riding straight out of Nice is spectacular. Col de Braus/Turini loop one day and Eze/Madone the next makes for a nice weekend. I think this easy access to alpine-ish terrain straight from town makes Nice a better destination than Girona. It does take slightly longer to get to quiet roads, but then you have everything including some sweet gravel.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i really have to make this trip happen. was thinking italian alps but this seems more fun

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Spent about two months based out of an apartment in Nice a couple of springs ago. Yeah, it's for sure touristy close to the water, but I just ignored all of that mess and had a fantastic time. I could knock out some legit climbing in the earlier part of the day, then read on the beach in the later afternoon. Also spent a lot of time posing in front of small-town cafes with my bike and excellent cycling-kit-tan. It wasn't lame.

I'm hoping to make another 'big' cycling trip happen this year, and it'll likely be France again (though I really need to spend some time riding in the Dolemites).
    Fights begin, finger prints are took, days is lost, bail is made, court dates are ignored, cycle is repeated.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Did 15 day trip last summer, started in Vence, just north of Nice, then West as far as Ventoux, back northeast to Barcelonette, south to Vence. Spectacular.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Costello View Post
    Did 15 day trip last summer, started in Vence, just north of Nice, then West as far as Ventoux, back northeast to Barcelonette, south to Vence. Spectacular.
    How did you like the riding around Barcelonette? Been targeting that for a weekend to do Champs-Cayolle-Allos loop and gravel Bonnette - but its such a long drive from Nice or Turin that I keep passing over for other spots...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Toddykins View Post
    How did you like the riding around Barcelonette? Been targeting that for a weekend to do Champs-Cayolle-Allos loop and gravel Bonnette - but its such a long drive from Nice or Turin that I keep passing over for other spots...
    It's fantastic. I'd make it a long weekend.

And a decent town to hang out in as well.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Toddykins View Post
    The Col de Cayolle is definitely worth makng happen. Our family calls it Col de Marmotte. Itís very scenic, with a bit of everything.