User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Are Compass Extralight tires slightly wider than Standard casing tires?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Are Compass Extralight tires slightly wider than Standard casing tires?

I previously had the standard Barrow Passes which barely fitted my bike and replaced them with extra light BPs. These Extralights almost fit my bike maybe a 1mm too wide for comfort. So are the extra lights wider than the standards or am I in the manufacturing error.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Are Compass Extralight tires slightly wider than Standard casing tires?

My Baby Shoes extralights are right on the money. Sample size 1.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Are Compass Extralight tires slightly wider than Standard casing tires?

in the move to officially tubeless compatible, i believe they grew a bit.

New Favorites from Compass; Others Back In Stock | Off The Beaten Path

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

These guys must be selling an assload of tires - they really found an unmet need for really nice supple clinchers in wider widths. Now if only they would do the "legacy" models like the Babyshoe Pass in tubless . . . Sorry, Houston, no idea if they have grown, but 1 mil sounds like within the margin or error to me, plus see the reference above where the Compass blog mentions that the Barlow Pass are now a "true" 38.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dogrange View Post
    These guys must be selling an assload of tires - they really found an unmet need for really nice supple clinchers in wider widths. Now if only they would do the "legacy" models like the Babyshoe Pass in tubless . . .
    yes and yes please.
    Steve Park

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just curious, an anyone who has ridden the standard and extra light casing describe the difference in ride quality?

Is the extra light worth the extra $19?
    life is too short to drink bad wine....

Stuart Levy

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

... plus see the reference above where the Compass blog mentions that the Barlow Pass are now a "true" 38.
    Sounds to me like they've grown. My OG Barlow Pass tires measured 38mm on the money on wide 21mm inner width rims.
    Dustin Gaddis
    www.MiddleGaEpic.com
    Why do people feel the need to list all of their bikes in their signature?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by znfdl View Post
    Just curious, an anyone who has ridden the standard and extra light casing describe the difference in ride quality?

I cannot bc the switch to tube to tubeless has confound the comparison. With that said the EL are noticeable nicer than the standards. But that maybe the tubeless talking

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm still working through my stock of standard casing tubeless tires. Thinking I may try some EL to see if the difference in ride quality and potential degradation in durability is worth the money
    Nathan H

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by znfdl View Post

I went from a standard 32 Stampede Pass to a 28 Chinook Pass Extralight (32s wacked out the geometry on my Spectrum - least ways my feel for it). Ride quality remains amazing despite giving up 4mm in volume. The tires are very light.

One point against - they were hard as hell to mount on my MA2 rims. I thought my hands were going to fall off. Even broke one of my Pedro's lever in the process.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Jan Heine has written in his blog that EL casing tires will wind up slightly wider.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For what it is worth, here is my compass experience based on 6 pairs of tyres and a bit over 20,000 miles on them:

1) EL is wider
    2) EL tends to get more sidewall rips (there is a price for supple tires)
    3) when riding wide EL tires with low pressures, I have had the sidewall buckle in (fold up) in corners which is not a good feeling

I think indeed that compass had a niche for a while for wide, supple clinchers.
    With WTB and Panaracer stepping up the game (Byway/Horizon/Exposure/GravelKing) I think they strike a better overall balance and are ahead in the tubeless sector.

Many decades of tire development counts for something.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thank you very much. I have experienced #3 as well which I don't like either

Quote Originally Posted by CXinNH View Post
    For what it is worth, here is my compass experience based on 6 pairs of tyres and a bit over 20,000 miles on them:

1) EL is wider
    2) EL tends to get more sidewall rips (there is a price for supple tires)
    3) when riding wide EL tires with low pressures, I have had the sidewall buckle in (fold up) in corners which is not a good feeling

With WTB and Panaracer stepping up the game (Byway/Horizon/Exposure/GravelKing) I think they strike a better overall balance and are ahead in the tubeless sector.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Panaracer makes Compass tires. Compass likely specs preferences, but don't see why Panaracer would loose its technological expertise making the Compass.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by joosttx View Post
    Thank you very much. I have experienced #3 as well which I don't like either
    Sounds like maybe you guys are running the pressure too low!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew J View Post
    Panaracer makes Compass tires. Compass likely specs preferences, but don't see why Panaracer would loose its technological expertise making the Compass.
    Gravel Kings seem like armoured versions of Compass regular weight.
    Fairweather sell standard weight 28s and 32s in colours.
    The terracotta ones make good ersatz red Dunlops for 1930s & 40s British bikes.

Fairweather Traveler Tire, 7��x32 - Tires, Tubes & Rim Tape - Components

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew J View Post
    Obviously.
    Also does not mean that they use their R&D knowledge to advise Jan.
    They make them using their technical expertise to implement his specs.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sounds like maybe you guys are running the pressure too low!
    That is the thing.
    EL tires need more pressure than regular casing in the same tire size/width, negating some of the benefits of the supple sidewall.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That is the thing.
    EL tires need more pressure than regular casing in the same tire size/width, negating some of the benefits of the supple sidewall.
    I would agree with this based on my extensive experience with Compass tires. I've owed/have almost all the tires they've put out, and I've found the ELs definitely need a little more pressure compared to the standard version.

Another conclusion I've come to, at least for me, is I don't trust the 'tubeless ready' models run tubeless. I've found the side walls compress too quickly with impacts resulting poor handling and sometimes small tears. Using a latex tube in the tubeless EL models provides a little more structure to the sidewalls and prevents the tires from collapsing and burning through it's travel so quickly. I've found the same thing with super light mtn bike tires that do not have a proper tubeless casing (when converting them tubeless).

Compass needs to add a little more structure to their sidewalls for their tubeless versions - having just a tubeless bead is not enough IMO.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Touching on a few issues mentioned in this thread:

Panaracer vs Compass - Panaracer is making what Compass asks for - very supple, but thin, casing tires. Panaracer's own tires are tougher. I switched from Bon Jons to 40mm Gravel Kings and both are great tires, but not really made for the same purpose.

Sidewall support & tire pressures - even with the standard weight Compass tires, they're still really thin and light compared to most other tires, and I have found that they need higher pressures because the sidewall isn't providing much support on it's own. They still ride great, but you can also blow through the volume pretty easy and bottom out the rim. With my standard weight Bon Jons (which measure ~37.9mm on my rims) I used 40/45psi front/rear. At that pressure they rode great on the road or offroad, but they couldn't handle bigger hits, when riding gravel roads in the Piedmond Wildlife Refuge north of town I bottomed out my rims every ride. I switched to the Gravel Kings, which measured 42mm, so about 4mm wider, but they have a much stiffer tougher casing. I use them at 22/28ish psi front/rear. And I've never bottomed them out except when riding MTB trails.

It's almost as if the supple Compass tires, if you consider them like a spring, they have a linear spring rate, whereas the tougher Gravel Kings have a progressive spring rate.

Both tires are great, they're just different.
    Dustin Gaddis
    www.MiddleGaEpic.com
    Why do people feel the need to list all of their bikes in their signature?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast