User Tag List

Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: commuting. Should I switch to tubulars ?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default commuting. Should I switch to tubulars ?

Hi,

I'm currently commuting with gp4000s clinchers. I've used veloflex corsa for a while but they are wearing a bit too fast to be considered good commuting tires. The gp4000s are much more durable, however the 23mm I have now feel a bit harsh. I'm contemplating the idea to use tubulars for commuting as I have 2 tubular wheelsets collecting dust since I switched to discs for cyclocross. But I may just replace the current clinchers with their 25mm counterpart once they will be too old.

I only used continental tubulars for short distances (i.e. borrowed spare race wheels) but have the feeling they roll harsher than their italian/french counterparts. The continental sprinter gatorskin look like a good choice for this usage, based on reviews about their durability and puncture resistance and their price tag. But would they really be more comfortable than clinchers (I'm considering conti 4000s, gp4season or gatorhardshell or hutchinson intensive) in 25mm size ?

What other alternatives should I consider as durable tubulars suitable for commuting use ? I considered vittora pave but they sound a bit expensive for this usage. I've always been a bit wary of low end tubulars, however the most expensive ones are a bit too fast wearing to be considered here. What about the mid range offering ? Are the Vittoria rubino pro tubular any good ? What about the Schwalbe durano ht or vredestein freccia ?

Note: my commuting route condition is not that bad. In fact it uses roads that most people use for training. I'd rather trade some added rolling resistance for more durability/puncture resistance as I have dedicated racing wheelsets, but don't really need nuke proof schwalbe marathon like tires either.

Thanks
    Thomas
    Last edited by sk_tle; 11-30-2012 at 11:25 AM. Reason: typos

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: commuting. Should I switch to tubulars ?

If you have tubulars I'm sure you'd enjoy riding them, but clinchers seem like a lot more practical choice. Look up the manufacturer's spec for tire pressure for your weight and see if you can let some air out. Also consider going wider, even 28s if your frame will allow it. I have a pair of Panaracer TServs which are not overly light and have a bit of light tread but still roll quite nicely and are comfortable.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Don't over think it. Your commute is a training route, you say. So you're not commuting, you're training. Use training tubulars. Sprinter Gatorskins sound like a good bet for hedging against being late for work due to flats.

Edit - I say this because you seem to want to use tubulars. I would personally use a 25mm clincher. Got a stockpile of GP4 Season right now - personally I'm with Cody.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I commuted on tubulars for a little while. I came back to the land of the clincher. Once you get to the point of looking for a durable hard wearing tubular, you might as well be on clinchers. I thought the Sprinters and a good clincher rode similarly enough that clinchers were just fine. In the winter I like tires like the Pasela or the GP4000 4 Season, since changing a flat when it is cold and nasty is no fun.

If I was you, I'd just go with the GP4000 in 25, or the Vittoria Paves in 24.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I commute on Conti Comps and Sprinters with sealant. Always keep an extra tire with me since Murphy's a bitch. I'd say the Sprinters or Sprinter GS would probably fit the bill.
    Insubordinate. And Churlish.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by nahtnoj View Post
    Don't over think it. Your commute is a training route, you say. So you're not commuting, you're training. Use training tubulars. Sprinter Gatorskins sound like a good bet for hedging against being late for work due to flats.
    But would 22mm sprinter gatorskin tubulars be an improvement over the gp4000 clinchers in a larger size ?

I know my frame allow 25mm tire but only fake (i.e. continental) 28mm tires.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You should switch, you should also consider running some Stans sealant in your Contis. Sprinter Gatorskins + Stans= indestructible. Friends don't let friends ride clinchers.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sk_tle View Post
    But would 22mm sprinter gatorskin tubulars be an improvement over the gp4000 clinchers in a larger size ?

I know my frame allow 25mm tire but only fake (i.e. continental) 28mm tires.
    Why not get Sprinter Gatorskins in 25mm? Backordered, but Conti say late December delivery.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by christian View Post
    Why not get Sprinter Gatorskins in 25mm? Backordered, but Conti say late December delivery.
    I didn't see them in continental website. Looks like a problème solved. Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mattsbeers View Post
    You should switch, you should also consider running some Stans sealant in your Contis. Sprinter Gatorskins + Stans= indestructible. Friends don't let friends ride clinchers.
    Honest question -- What is the point of riding tubulars if you're riding Sprinter Gatorskins with sealant? I (briefly) rode tubulars for the increase in ride quality, riding a set-up like this would seem to be pointless on that front.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You ride tubulars like Sprinter Gatorskins because you ride tubulars, not clinchers. A Gatorskin tubular rides better than the equivalent "training" clincher, and with the addition of Stans you have a better riding tire with better puncture resistance. Pretty simple.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by cody.wms View Post
    Honest question -- What is the point of riding tubulars if you're riding Sprinter Gatorskins with sealant?
    It's extremely difficult to attach clinchers to tubular rims. So if you ride tubulars and want the most puncture-resistant ones, that's what you ride. One presumes you'd ride nicer tires on the weekend and in races. I wasconsidering whether to go 100% tubular for my bikes, in which case I would have been logging at least 2000 miles a year on a set up like that. At the moment, I'm keeping the clinchers for the trainer though.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by christian View Post
    It's extremely difficult to attach clinchers to tubular rims.
    But Tufo, God bless them, have at least solved the problem of attaching "tubulars" to clincher rims.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'll commute every now and then on either Vittoria Rally's or Servizio Corsa's from Yellow Jersey. Kind of hard to beat $20 tubulars for training.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I know it's Vsalon sacrilege, but I've used the Servizio Corsas as spares, and they've been perfectly straight and not at all lumpy. I think they're pretty decent, actually. No idea how they wear as the longest ride I've done on them is 30 miles but I'd be willing to commute on them to try them.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Continental Competetition 25s pumped to 90 psi. Done.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

When you get a flat tire on your way to work and you're running behind and there's a chance you're going to be late getting to work, do you want to be changing a tubular tire? Contrary to what some have said here, commuting to work is primarily transportation, not training. If you want to and are able to squeeze in some training, fine; but the only important thing is transportation. Anything that compromises that in the name of training is wrong.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I may very well be the only one here who thinks this, but a tire is a tire. Almost all of my wheels are tubular wheels because that is what I have always ridden and I have a tendency to be a hoarder. So over the years when I have come across good deals on rims, I've bought them. So I have a stack of tubular rims that have never seen glue that will last me until the day I die.

So .... The bike I ride to work has tubular tires ... Because that is what I ride. For going to work I ride on Tufo Elite Ride 25's with about 90 or 95 psi.

I've actually never had a flat going to or from work. When I mount the tires, I put some milk in them. Over time it curdles and it works as a perfectly good "sealant", but doesn't glop things up.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just buy some Conti Gatorskin Hardshells in as large a s size as will fit. The idea that tubulars ride better has been discredited for many years. If you want more comfort, a larger tire at lower pressure is the way to go.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bobqzz View Post
    The idea that tubulars ride better has been discredited for many years.
    Well this may get interesting .... I can get an equivalent ride to my ambrosio/vittoria wheels ... with grand bois 32s....

Although I will say that the vittoria open corsas in 25 and Michelin pro 25s are damn nice rides.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast