User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 31

Thread: Columbus Spirit tubing question

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Aix-en-Provence
    Posts
    11,088
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Columbus Spirit tubing question

    Quick question for the experts here. There are 2 versions of the Spirit tubing. One for TIG and one for lugs. If you want to build a fillet brazed frame with Spirit tubing can you use any of the Spirit tubes for that ?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    West of Portland Oregon
    Posts
    2,264
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Columbus Spirit tubing question

    The butting on the 'for lugs' is thicker and longer than the 'not for lugs'.

    The 'not for lugs' is also a shaped set with a octaganal top tube and a sort of squashed pear to penta-ish downtube

    Not completely sure but I believe the spirit not for lugs is a replacement of the old 'ultra-foco'.

    seems pretty thin to fillet braze....... 0.5/0.38/0.5 YMMV but I know my mileage would'nt get very far with it.:-)

    hope this helps,
    jake
    Last edited by bellman; 01-13-2011 at 02:36 PM.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    feral, USA
    Posts
    2,959
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Columbus Spirit tubing question

    I don't think anyone should build bikes out of the standard Spirit kit. Too damn thin.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    West of Portland Oregon
    Posts
    2,264
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Columbus Spirit tubing question

    Quote Originally Posted by suspectdevice View Post
    I don't think anyone should build bikes out of the standard Spirit kit. Too damn thin.
    Unless you are this guy. This is a not for lugs tube I think. I tigged a frame for myself out of it, It welds really nicely but it is way, way too flexy for me.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Flagstaff, Arizona
    Posts
    10,678
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Columbus Spirit tubing question

    Quote Originally Posted by bellman View Post
    seems pretty thin to fillet braze....... 0.5/0.38/0.5 YMMV but I know my mileage would get very far with it.:-)

    hope this helps,
    jake
    Give it to me - I will fillet braze it. I'd go non-filed, hot, small & fast fillets. Brass, too. still........riding hard............a two season race bike I reckon until it busts @ the BB or TT butt. YRMV - Garro.
    Steve Garro, Coconino Cycles.
    Frames & Bicycles built to measure and Custom wheels
    Hecho en Flagstaff, Arizona desde 2003
    www.coconinocycles.com
    www.coconinocycles.blogspot.com

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Aix-en-Provence
    Posts
    11,088
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Columbus Spirit tubing question

    So do I conclude that for fillet brazing one should use the "spirit for lugs"?

    BTW, I am asking this for a friend of mine who's has in mind to use XCr for the front end and Spirit for stays and have that fillet brazed.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    West of Portland Oregon
    Posts
    2,264
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Columbus Spirit tubing question

    Quote Originally Posted by steve garro View Post
    Give it to me - I will fillet braze it. I'd go non-filed, hot, small & fast fillets. Brass, too. still........riding hard............a two season race bike I reckon until it busts @ the BB or TT butt. YRMV - Garro.
    Yeah but see, you're pretty much the Steve Garro of fillet brazing, you can get away with it :-)

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    feral, USA
    Posts
    2,959
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Columbus Spirit tubing question

    The idea of "event" bikes bums me out. It's like a kitten mill.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Down under
    Posts
    1,569
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Columbus Spirit tubing question

    to my mind
    there is no value in using .5mm wall main tubes
    as there is a large increase in fragility
    even a simple slip and fall can result in a coke can crumpled frame tube
    handle bars are more likely to cave in top tubes
    if you ride bikes, you will have that fall, even if it is not an over the guard rail fly off the edge of a cliff type fall, but a simple slip on a wet road white line
    you can fall and sit on the frame and &*%$###(****!!!&*$$*&!$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
    bike performance is not dictated by the weight of the frame tubes
    it never will be
    the bike frame is a structure to allow the engine to put it's energy to the wheels
    .5mm wall tubes look nice on the brochure pages but I have never seen any value.
    Also comparing Spirit for Lugs directly with Spirit (TIG) is not correct because the tubes are different diameters.
    My feeling and direction is for the bespoke builder to make frames that give many years of good service.
    Cheers Dazza
    The rock star is dying. And it's a small tragedy. Rock stars have blogs now. I have no use for that kind of rock star.
    Nick Cave

    www.llewellynbikes.com
    The usual Facebook page
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/llewellyncustombicycles/
    Darrell Llewellyn McCulloch

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Happy Valley, PA
    Posts
    3,403
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Columbus Spirit tubing question

    Quote Originally Posted by steve garro View Post
    Give it to me - I will fillet braze it. I'd go non-filed, hot, small & fast fillets. Brass, too. still........riding hard............a two season race bike I reckon until it busts @ the BB or TT butt. YRMV - Garro.
    curious which tt butt you think would break?

    I have thought of trying it with brass. Dave Porter uses it with Fillet Pro.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Better to be ruined than to be silent atmo.
    Posts
    20,978
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Columbus Spirit tubing question

    Quote Originally Posted by steve garro View Post
    Give it to me - I will fillet braze it. I'd go non-filed, hot, small & fast fillets. Brass, too. still........riding hard............a two season race bike I reckon until it busts @ the BB or TT butt. YRMV - Garro.
    i'll GIVE you a set to use/try as a gateway drug to possibly getting your business (i import and distribute the SFL) atmo. i have used it exclusively since day one without issue (2005 or so). and for the last three seasons the rs 'cross team has used the lightweight set without a single failure or similar incident (except for dillon's frame which got trashed on the last lap of the last race in 2010 - the natz) when he did an endo after an obstacle on the far side of the course. these tube sets are not finite use materials.
    Last edited by e-RICHIE; 01-13-2011 at 07:02 PM. Reason: close parantheses -

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Flagstaff, Arizona
    Posts
    10,678
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Columbus Spirit tubing question

    Quote Originally Posted by bellman View Post
    Yeah but see, you're pretty much the Steve Garro of fillet brazing, you can get away with it :-)
    Ha! thanks, Jake. - Garro.
    Steve Garro, Coconino Cycles.
    Frames & Bicycles built to measure and Custom wheels
    Hecho en Flagstaff, Arizona desde 2003
    www.coconinocycles.com
    www.coconinocycles.blogspot.com

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Aix-en-Provence
    Posts
    11,088
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Columbus Spirit tubing question

    Good info all. Back to my original question. For fillet brazing? SFL?

  14. #14
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Better to be ruined than to be silent atmo.
    Posts
    20,978
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Columbus Spirit tubing question

    Quote Originally Posted by Lionel View Post
    Good info all. Back to my original question. For fillet brazing? SFL?
    it's up to the fillet brazer atmo.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Flagstaff, Arizona
    Posts
    10,678
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Columbus Spirit tubing question

    Quote Originally Posted by e-RICHIE View Post
    i'll GIVE you a set to use/try as a gateway drug to possibly getting your business (i import and distribute the SFL) atmo. i have used it exclusively since day one without issue (2005 or so). and for the last three seasons the rs 'cross team has used the lightweight set without a single failure or similar incident (except for dillon's frame which got trashed on the last lap of the last race in 2010 - the natz) when he did an endo after an obstacle on the far side of the course. these tube sets are not finite use materials.
    send em' out. Been meaning to make the missus a 32c-ish road frame. 5' 10" x 140lbs. Canti brakes. I'll do a full book report here. I'd order ALL my tubes from you if you sold the tubes I generally use..........doing more & more skinny tire bikes so we'll see, I like them! I would be greatly appreciative. - Garro.
    Steve Garro, Coconino Cycles.
    Frames & Bicycles built to measure and Custom wheels
    Hecho en Flagstaff, Arizona desde 2003
    www.coconinocycles.com
    www.coconinocycles.blogspot.com

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Flagstaff, Arizona
    Posts
    10,678
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Columbus Spirit tubing question

    Quote Originally Posted by Lionel View Post
    Good info all. Back to my original question. For fillet brazing? SFL?
    I'll always err to the tube with longer butting if given a choice. - Garro.
    Steve Garro, Coconino Cycles.
    Frames & Bicycles built to measure and Custom wheels
    Hecho en Flagstaff, Arizona desde 2003
    www.coconinocycles.com
    www.coconinocycles.blogspot.com

  17. #17
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Better to be ruined than to be silent atmo.
    Posts
    20,978
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Columbus Spirit tubing question

    Quote Originally Posted by steve garro View Post
    send em' out. Been meaning to make the missus a 32c-ish road frame. 5' 10" x 140lbs. Canti brakes. I'll do a full book report here. I'd order ALL my tubes from you if you sold the tubes I generally use..........doing more & more skinny tire bikes so we'll see, I like them! I would be greatly appreciative. - Garro.
    jew want the chainstays in straight or curved?
    jew need seatstays?
    or just the three main tubes atmo?
    what length will the seat tube be bro?

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Flagstaff, Arizona
    Posts
    10,678
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Columbus Spirit tubing question

    Quote Originally Posted by e-RICHIE View Post
    jew want the chainstays in straight or curved?
    jew need seatstays?
    or just the three main tubes atmo?
    what length will the seat tube be bro?
    Hell why not curved? If we are going to do this then let's make it sexy. Yes on seat stays. 16mm? thicker for cantis? 56cm seatube overall length. She has a short TT for her height, like a 52cm c-to-c. now i know what I have been hoarding my set of "limpets" for! Thanks! I better go order a set of Paul centerpulls. - Garro.
    Steve Garro, Coconino Cycles.
    Frames & Bicycles built to measure and Custom wheels
    Hecho en Flagstaff, Arizona desde 2003
    www.coconinocycles.com
    www.coconinocycles.blogspot.com

  19. #19
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Better to be ruined than to be silent atmo.
    Posts
    20,978
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Columbus Spirit tubing question

    Quote Originally Posted by steve garro View Post
    Hell why not curved? If we are going to do this then let's make it sexy. Yes on seat stays. 16mm? thicker for cantis? 56cm seatube overall length. She has a short TT for her height, like a 52cm c-to-c. now i know what I have been hoarding my set of "limpets" for! Thanks! I better go order a set of Paul centerpulls. - Garro.
    is there a P.O. with this or is it verbal atmo?
    later bro.
    i have to do my 40 minutes of work today.

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Flagstaff, Arizona
    Posts
    10,678
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Columbus Spirit tubing question

    Quote Originally Posted by e-RICHIE View Post
    is there a P.O. with this or is it verbal atmo?
    later bro.
    i have to do my 40 minutes of work today.
    Just send er' out - I'm the only one here. Thanks! You Rock. All you can expect a full review soon. - Garro.
    Steve Garro, Coconino Cycles.
    Frames & Bicycles built to measure and Custom wheels
    Hecho en Flagstaff, Arizona desde 2003
    www.coconinocycles.com
    www.coconinocycles.blogspot.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •