Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Columbus Spirit tubing question

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Columbus Spirit tubing question

Sure, thin wall shaped Spirit tubing can be fillet brazed. See below (don't flame me for the flames! :-) ). However, unless you are quite comfortable with your brazing skills, the thicker Spirit for Lugs might be a better choice.

For the record....I think Spirit is a fine tube set for the right application. I've built several bikes with it and they all perform well and are still on the road. The one shown here is going on six years old.....

Dave

Dave Anderson
    Anderson Custom Bicycles
    www.andersoncustombicycles.com
    ACB on Facebook
    ACB on flickr

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Anderson View Post
    don't flame me for the flames! Dave
    whatever! that's bad-ass, Dave. - Garro.
    Steve Garro, Coconino Cycles.
    Frames & Bicycles built to measure and Custom wheels
    Hecho en Flagstaff, Arizona desde 2003
    www.coconinocycles.com
    www.coconinocycles.blogspot.com

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by steve garro View Post
    whatever! that's bad-ass, Dave. - Garro.
    Thanks, Man!
    Dave Anderson
    Anderson Custom Bicycles
    www.andersoncustombicycles.com
    ACB on Facebook
    ACB on flickr

Post Thanks / Like

I have fillet brazed several sets of shaped Spirit with out any problems. As I see it there are 2 problems with the set. It is so thin it is easy to dent , and the only tube that you can hold in your frame blocks is the seat tube, kind of a pain in the a_ _
    when finishing the joints.
    Tim
    Attached Images Attached Images
    The most beautiful thing about a custom bike is not just what you see, it's what you feel.--www.lighthousecycles.com

Post Thanks / Like

As one can see there is a group (me included) that love this tube set and there is a group that think it's too thin, well let me dispel that notion here and now. I've done several tandems with it using down tubes instead of the normal top tube and down tubes for the internal laterals as well. Sans fork it comes out to a 9 freaking lb tandem frame. One was used by an aged pair with one day of training and finished 2nd, a few seconds behind the 2 MUCH younger current national champs.. You all can argue about the longevity or the possibility of denting it or whatever your criticism maybe, but I don't think the, for instance, Formula One race teams make the cars heavier so they last 20 years (Dazza!) So what if it cracks after winning the race of your life? It's fulfilled its job. Yeah, I had one I built in 2005 crack the seat tube last month. He rode nearly every day and used it to commute to work too. He wasn't disappointed, in fact wants a new one and the old one fixed too.
    Here have some fun:JOHN ARMIJO bike race - YouTube
    The Niobium was developed for side impact protection in car doors, so they made it light and they gave it great elasticity before the yield point, so in a little bike frame it preforms perfectly for crispness and compliance, the features I'd want in my bike.
    Here's the track tandem build http://http://porterbikes.com/blog/b...m-for-2011-740
    Here's the "show" tandem (which is for sale, BTW) Spirit Tandem
    There is a road bike frame in the Classified section right now that could be yours..
    And lastly to answer the question... yes, Braze or TIG, brass or silver and as I said a year or 2 ago I'd even MIG it if I had no other method available. It is a modern marvel of steel tubing and though I've never used the round set I think Richard's results speak to that more than adequately.
    OK I'll take any questions now.... ;~)
    dave

Post Thanks / Like

Dave Porter that YouTube video is great. That guy has an attitude I can only describe as infectious.

Post Thanks / Like

What does the tubeset weigh? On the Columbus site each tube is individually listed and add up to 653 grams?

Post Thanks / Like

Don't forget the other chain and set stay as well as the head tube stock.

Of course with all the variables in other bits, drop due to sizing etc it really paints a pretty blurry picture.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rayms View Post
    What does the tubeset weigh? On the Columbus site each tube is individually listed and add up to 653 grams?
    IME a fair bit more than Columbus would have you believe.
    Suzy Jackson
    Vanity blog: http://suzyj.blogspot.com
    Little fish bicycles website: http://www.littlefishbicycles.com

Post Thanks / Like

Regardless of your tastes in tube sets, I still think it is the best all round set for bicycle applications. It is within +/- about 10 grams of a comparable CF "tube".
    As a follow up to my earlier reference to tandem applications.. John Frey (54 and Nat record holder) and Jim Cost (80ish) set a new age graded record for the 4oK tandem class this past Sept. Preformed flawlessly. It is a pity that CF has so overtaken steel as a material of choice. I personally am getting too old to switch to a foreign to me material and will stick to steel, though admittedly my orders have dropped precipitously. Sigh...
    dave

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by suspectdevice View Post
    The idea of "event" bikes bums me out. It's like a kitten mill.
    .....which is where I get my morning kitten burrito! :)