User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Colnago EP build - aesthetics, finish and sheer vanity- tell me what you think

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Colnago EP build - aesthetics, finish and sheer vanity- tell me what you think

After purchasing this frame 11 months ago I have it back from my paint repairer in close to new condition.

This was to be my Covid 2020 lock down build project, however, circumstances kept the frame out of my grasp for the best part of a year.

This is to be my every day ride. I've owned Colnago EP frames before but always fancied this tricolore paint scheme and so here I am with my fancy but can't get 'the look' quite right.

Until recently all my (numerous) carbon frame builds have been darker frames which I now discover are considerably easier to finish to a level of aesthetic appearance that pleases me. I'm finding this current white frame somewhat problematic in so far as making it look schmick to my tastes anyhow.

The Campag SR11 groupset I've owned from new, has featured on several of my previous builds and along with the frameset is a non negotiable element of this build. I also really want black bar tape on this build. I already have one build with white bar tape which is an occasional ride only bike - I really can only handle one build trying to keep white bar tape clean.............. I want black tape on a daily ride.

My thoughts are the bars look wrong and the wheels look wrong. My immediate remedies are :-

1) swap bar out for a white bar or a bar with plenty of white paint on it and go with black bar tape.
    2) swap the black hoods for white hoods.
    3) swap my beloved Bora One 35 dark label tubulars for a pair of Bora 35 bright label tubuars - those gum walls just don't work on this frame - black wall tyres for this build.
    4) swap the stem spacers, black for white.
    5) swap the red P2M crank decals to white ones.

Frame and gruppo incl cables and tubular wheels are set in stone. Saddle, bar tape, bar, stem, hoods, cages, wheels tyres are all open to suggestions

Tell me what you think - yes, I know I need to get over it and just ride it.............but

Colnago-EP-finish-Hmmmm-1800-pix.jpg

Colnago-EP-finish-cockpit-02-1080-pix.jpg

Colnago-EP-finish-cockpit-01-1080pix.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Colnago EP build - aesthetics, finish and sheer vanity- tell me what you think

For me, it’s actually mostly pretty good. I agree on the bars - they should go, even if it is just so that you can fully wrap the bars without dealing with the aero section.

I actually think it already has too much white; and the stem is the biggest problem. Change that to black to break up the white (and perhaps an all black seatpost too) and it’ll be well on its way to looking better already.

The other thing that jars with me is the imbalance of the black seat clamp and the white headset. There’s options here - namely, to change the headset to black to match, to change the seat clamp to white to match, or to change both to red or green to pick out the colours in the frame. On that last point, you could also tone down the white with red or green bar tape.

Just my tuppence...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Colnago EP build - aesthetics, finish and sheer vanity- tell me what you think

Quote Originally Posted by RichTheRoadie View Post
    For me, it’s actually mostly pretty good. I agree on the bars - they should go, even if it is just so that you can fully wrap the bars without dealing with the aero section.

I actually think it already has too much white; and the stem is the biggest problem. Change that to black to break up the white (and perhaps an all black seatpost too) and it’ll be well on its way to looking better already.

The other thing that jars with me is the imbalance of the black seat clamp and the white headset. There’s options here - namely, to change the headset to black to match, to change the seat clamp to white to match, or to change both to red or green to pick out the colours in the frame. On that last point, you could also tone down the white with red or green bar tape.

Just my tuppence...
    Thanks Rich. I want your tuppence...........

I've only finished this this afternoon so not much time to let it sink in.

Any thoughts on the wheels? I've never been a fan of big bright label wheels but maybe here Bright Label Boras may be better than my Dark Labels?

Or find a pair of Hyperons?

The computer/light set up is also a bit fugly despite being uber fuctional.........

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by open roader View Post
    Any thoughts on the wheels? I've never been a fan of big bright label wheels but maybe here Bright Label Boras may be better than my Dark Labels?
    The wheels are perfect.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yep those wheels with a nice all-black tire will look great.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No on the white hoods. As mentioned, there's enough white already. Maybe more than enough. I might change the bars and stem to more traditional ones but other than that it's very nice. I like Deda bars and stem for aesthetics and function.
    La Cheeserie!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Saab2000 View Post
    No on the white hoods. As mentioned, there's enough white already. Maybe more than enough. I might change the bars and stem to more traditional ones but other than that it's very nice. I like Deda bars and stem for aesthetics and function.
    Many thanks. I see some trends and I agrees with most of them.

I've just purchased a pair of Deda Presa Bars in white colour. Time to leave aero bars behind. I have a matt black Deda Zero 100 stem here doing nothing or can use another carbon gloss black stem with Italian tricolore stripe on the top line of the stem that I have from a previous build.

Agreed - white hoods will look like Amime creature ears or similar.

What about fitting Vittoria Pave green walls (if I can find some NOS) - I've had them previously and liked them on the Boras?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What about fitting Vittoria Pave green walls (if I can find some NOS) - I've had them previously and liked them on the Boras?
    ...or FMB Paris Roubaix Pros with the green sidewall?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by RichTheRoadie View Post
    ...or FMB Paris Roubaix Pros with the green sidewall?
    Dammit - you had to mention those............. ;-)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

White only on the frame.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by j44ke; 2 Weeks Ago at 03:33 PM.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes!!! Totally agree
    What Jorn shows was what I thought right away too.
    The white seatpost and saddle, headset, are probably just fine.
    I’m even ok with the gumwalls. It’s the white stem and white bar tape that is jarring.

A little mix is very pro ;)
    https://cdn.mos.cms.futurecdn.net/cG...JxsXJXZaig.jpg
    Jon C
    Dallas TX

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Traditional bars in black, black stem and black headset, black seat post. Those original wheels but black wall tires vs. gum (maybe but think gum likely looks better once the other simple changes are made). I’d then try with the white saddle and tape as I happen to like white saddle and tape but most don’t so then set it up like Jorn has with black saddle and tape. Frankly the white stem, post and headset is where this is veering off course - but that’s of course just ATMO

If you’re on Instagram go to Black Oak Velo (Justin’s shop) and look at the white RS he just built up. Perfection

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Throw away horrible computer mount and go and get it dirty.
    Lee James Jones
    105 fan

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Gumwall all day.

Agree on the other points the white elsewhere is too matchy matchy with the frame. I'd dissent and argue green or red for the tape would be a nice throw off to the accent color on the frame. But black is the safest choice.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just ride the damn bike.
    --
    T h o m a s

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

UPDATE

A quick switcheroo this morning with parts I have in my spares boxes.

I like this 'look' considerably better than the first iteration. Thanks to Jorn for his impromtu editing of my pic - makes a lot of sense seeing it like that.

The stem is a cheap but actually rather good very lightweight aftermarket job that I pimped with tricolore decals I had left over from a build years ago - rode this stem for 18 months on that build and liked it (plus it has the dash of yellow I simply must have on every build)

I'm thinking seat post looks better now but all black seatpost would indeed be best.

Headset is fine, I'd rather not have a black band between the head tube and the fork shoulder as the paint follows itself here - white is better (and it's a brand new headset)

Black saddle and black bottle cage work better and give the wheels more aesthetic presence.

I notice the gumwalls less in this iteration...........

Maybe just a switch of bar and bar tape colour now?

Colnago-EP-finish-take-2-1500-pix.jpg

Colnago-EP-finish-cockpit-take-2-01-1800pix.jpg

Colnago-EP-finish-cockpit-take-2-02-1800pix.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Maybe just a switch of bar and bar tape colour now?
    Black, green or red tape and a black seatpost and she’ll be right

(personally I’d go with a plain black stem too, but that’s still better than the white one)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Plain black stem, more traditional black bars, black bar tape, and Bob's your Uncle.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Where's that photo of Stefan Rohner's white EP all covered with mud?
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast