User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Colnago EP build - aesthetics, finish and sheer vanity- tell me what you think

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Colnago EP build - aesthetics, finish and sheer vanity- tell me what you think

I've seen it with black bars + black tape - too much black............. Next step = white bars + black tape!

Green tape or red tape matched to the frame colours would work but nearly as painful as white tape to keep perfectly clean which they have to be to look OK where as black tape is ..........black clean-ish or not.

I'm not going down the 35 road but that seatpost looks perfect Jorn...............

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Colnago EP build - aesthetics, finish and sheer vanity- tell me what you think

He also had a very nice white painted to match stem with a colnago clover . that guy had good taste. hope he pops back in here. also wish i could ride across some country with him. i'd grow my mustache back if it means rapha would throw me some gear.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oh yea, the EP, I like black components but agree that its all good. i dont like busy graphics on stems and such, but nothing looks that out of line. advice to just ride it is not bad.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I built up an EP for my boss several years ago - it was my favorite bike to ride.

I've had an EP in 56 trad geometry but it never was quite as nice to ride as a 52s.

This current build is the best bike I've ever ridden, the Boras make it perfect for me. I'm getting used to how feeble my output is but that's another thread........

I became lost with the finishing elements as this frame was initially destined for a polished groupset but circumstances changed and I opted to put the polished groupset on another frame that was dangled in my face and could not resist. So, I was left with this frameset and some left over parts from my EPS build and no experience building up a white carbon frame before.........

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I like the white stem and it looks like the seatpost is proprietary so the Deda won’t work.
    All black cockpit is too harsh.
    New classic bar with red tape perhaps. Green and white pinstripe finishing tape.
    Needs a black saddle with a red band or stripe.
    It’s a Colnago so it should be screaming Colnago.
    Deda makes that white “35” stem with a big red stripe. Always loved that thing.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by johnmdesigner View Post
    ...it looks like the seatpost is proprietary so the Deda wonít work.
    Standard round 31.6mm - no issue at all.

If anything, to me that post looks like it came out of a C59, which is why it doesnít quite work aesthetically.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by RichTheRoadie View Post

If anything, to me that post looks like it came out of a C59, which is why it doesnít quite work aesthetically.
    Ok then. Work some red and white into that seatpost.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

And follow up.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by RichTheRoadie View Post

Correct on all counts!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The key with your build are the transitions from white to black. You want to get those dialed and then fuck it up a little bit. You can try a white seatpost with a black saddle or a black seatpost with a white saddle and then decide whether to go white stem with black bar or black stem with white bar but it's about creating balance visually. At the very end you want to throw one thing off which will make the build special. The easiest thing is to dump all black but the Colnago needs you to put a little more love into it. I'm not sure where you are currently with your build but I see the white / black balance as key. In your first pic there's too much white for the seatpost, saddle, stem, bar, and bar tape. You want to play off the Colnago logo which is black on white; you want to play with that relationship and there are myriad ways to honor that with your build. I'm a graphic designer but I have to sketch it out.

This is not exactly the same but I sketched this Ti Planet X which started with the grey Hutchinson tires and the Ritchey wet white seatpost, stem, and bar were key. Save the rim brake.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I wish I still had a picture of that "Credit Agricole" team replica bike I owned a decade or so ago. I think white frames with a strong accent color is the only kind of bike where a colored bar tape makes sense.
    --
    T h o m a s

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Unless youíre this guy:

Who can really pull it off - thatís Alcide Basso holding a Basso Ascot. Iíve got one of those in an even more controversial colorway - Iíd try to mute out the elements that distract from the frame. Black seatpost, black stem, maybe a different headset or at least black spacers. A white bar with black tape would be ok. Boras and gumwalls look perfect. Basso can rock the white Regal - I wouldnít.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yep...ditch the white bar tape, bars, seat post and saddle. Change them all to black and then it's 100% better IMO.
    Riding has to be fun, and part of the fun has to be that youíre not worried about having too much technology on your bike. - Tom Ritchey

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by holliscx View Post
    The key with your build are the transitions from white to black. You want to get those dialed and then fuck it up a little bit. You can try a white seatpost with a black saddle or a black seatpost with a white saddle and then decide whether to go white stem with black bar or black stem with white bar but it's about creating balance visually. At the very end you want to throw one thing off which will make the build special. The easiest thing is to dump all black but the Colnago needs you to put a little more love into it. I'm not sure where you are currently with your build but I see the white / black balance as key. In your first pic there's too much white for the seatpost, saddle, stem, bar, and bar tape. You want to play off the Colnago logo which is black on white; you want to play with that relationship and there are myriad ways to honor that with your build. I'm a graphic designer but I have to sketch it out.

This is not exactly the same but I sketched this Ti Planet X which started with the grey Hutchinson tires and the Ritchey wet white seatpost, stem, and bar were key. Save the rim brake.

This is indeed exactly what you say above. For my eye maybe one only could play with white hoods (if they exist) otherwise it's perfectly balanced and very easy to look at. I see the rusty F/D cage is the slightly fucked up bit? Nice touch with yellow valve caps to balance the Mavic decals and the green bar tape picks out the green accent off the frame perfectly.

I'm not a fan of coloured tape but maybe once I sort out the basics I can try some.

Back to the beginning - I will not have white bar tape on this bike - period. This is the bigggie non negotiable item. So right now I'm fitting a pair of white Deda bars and I'll go with plain black cork tape on those to begin with. I initially built the EP up with the black tape on black bars and it was way too much black in the cockpit area. The post / stem / saddle will be the interchangeable items, I'll toss up some variations but I think my hunch is that I'll need a black saddle to balance the carbon rims but we shall see.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My IF Crown Jewel is painted in that white + grassroots green accents. I tried a few green details in the bar tape, etc but to my eye a white frame looks clean and pops when the accessories and appendages donít compete for attention. And of course that the mismatching whites and logo colors and fonts on the stems, bars, post, etc. will do more visual damage than if they were just dark and disappeared.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think we wouldn't have this discussion if the components were aluminium silver anodized like in the old days.
    --
    T h o m a s

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Craig Gaulzetti's EP was awesome:

IMG_5011.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

update

Handlebars now finished and the seat post arrived in the mail just in time for the weekend.

I'm liking this now, I have my black bar tape. I have bars I like gripping and look good to my eye and the build seems to be balanced. I do prefer an undressed bar top.

EP-nearly-complete-1800pix.jpg

Looks good to me from front and rear. Next move is to switch the stem out for something far less busy. This is coming in the mail..........

Front-view-1800pix.jpg

Rear-view-1800-pix.jpg

I can change the decals on the power meter rotor - red or white? I'm leaning toward white.

P2M-decal-red-1800-pix.jpg

P2M-decal-white-1800pix.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

White.
    Take care of yourself in this time of crisis and realize sadness, anger and grief are part of the process Brian Clare

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

FINISHED

Final product - not what I envisaged for this build but much better than what I started with and happy with 'the look'.............

Deda Superleggero post and stem now fitted and spent the weekend gluing up a brand new pair of Corsa Speed 25mm tubulars.

First ride with new rubber comes tomorrow!

EP-Finished-email.jpg

EP-topline-finished-email.jpg

EP-cockpit-rear-on-finished-email.jpg

EP-cockpit-front-on-finished-email.jpg

EP-Bars-finished-email.jpg

EP-Finished-P2M-decal-email.jpg

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast