Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Coaching

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Coaching

Is it pie in the sky to think that remote coaching (ie not meeting face to face) without using a power meter could be successful?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I know a lot of riders who have coaches they only see maybe twice a year. It appears to work for them.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by AntLockyer View Post
    Is it pie in the sky to think that remote coaching (ie not meeting face to face) without using a power meter could be successful?

I'm sure some will disagree, but coaching by correspondance with zero objective data is throwing darts in the dark. What do you have against power meters?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have nothing against power meters but I don't own one so would have to factor that cost in, the fact I have little money means that I would do without coaching if a PM was required.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'll be your new remote coach. Its kinda a crazy program, but it will get you fit mentally, physically, and spiritually. These assignmnets are created achieve certain experiences that have been proven as the best way to approach understanding of reality and attain enlightenment.

First assignment:
    Just eat some Peyote, put on the big tires, and go on a vision quest. Report back to me in two weeks.

Second assignment:
    Destroy a piece of corporate art and take out a franchise coffee shop a the same time.

Third assignment
    You must take my shitty carbon wheels and dispose of them in the Fires of Mordor. (The climb to the top of Mordor is brutal.)
    we are about to break the surly bonds of gravity and punch the face of God!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

you can get pretty fast with a heart rate monitor and a coach to teach you how to use friel and train in zones. you can also be a pro and just ride by feel. all roads lead to rome... its just a matter of which ones work for you.

the good tootall can write you a program in whatever training language you speak. ride the program and you're good as gold.
    shrink, terrorist, poet, president of concerned cyclists for the abolishment of bovine source bicycle parts and head of the disaffected commie dishwashers union.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You can also buy a scooter and pay the kid down the street to motorpace you....I'll guarantee results from that....

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by El Chaba View Post
    You can also buy a scooter and pay the kid down the street to motorpace you....I'll guarantee results from that....
    Or buy your neighbor an outfit like this and give him the authority to enter your house at 5am, whistle blowing:

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by El Chaba View Post
    Depends on the goal, many people are wasting their time behind the moto.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'll bite.

My coach works in my town but all our coaching is done via email. I still see him at races every now and then, but we only talk for a few seconds when each other.

He emails me my weekly plan and will call every week or so when he needs some info.

I think that online coaching via email and such can work well if you're self motivated to do workouts without someone breathing down your neck.

It works out to be a lot cheaper and power meters are necessary most of the time, so...

I wouldn't hesitate to go down this route if I had to. I like my option, but it's pretty similar.

IMHO, if you don't want to waste time with coaching, a PM is necessary. Especially for online coaching. It keeps you honest, and will report your exact workouts to your coach. Unlike HR, power won't be variable if you're having an off day. You can do a workout in the prescribed HR zone with wattage totally under or over what it should be and not get the proper benefit.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Shucks I can work with anyone who has goals and willing to put in the hard work. Climbing to Mordor sounds like a good goal, can't be harder than a sub 80 hrs. PBP I'd reckon ;)

Check out www.trainingpeaks.com and to evaluate the format. The website allows a great deal of information to be exchanged between coaches and athletes. While not a proxy for "being there" will served to cut to the chase eg. what's expected and how well you are meeting targets...with or without a PM. This Friel inspired website is a real lifesaver for me and have used it for many yrs. with good results.

FWIIW I prefer not to coach anyone without some sort of upload device be it HR PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Training Peaks Coaching

I have been having a very good experience with one of the coaches at Training Peaks, but having a powermeter is an integral part of the process. Without objective data for the coach to evaluate, it is hard to track progress, set workout goals and adjust workouts to compensate for over or under training. It is not cheap, but in working with the coach I have learned a lot about training with the powermeter, what my strenghts and weaknesses are as a rider. I have seen real improvements in the various power tests that we run every few months (which is another way of saying I have objective proof of how much I suck).

There seem to be a lot of powertap wheels showing up on e-bay these days at reasonable prices.