User Tag List

Thread: The Clug bike storage. Any experience?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default The Clug bike storage. Any experience?

Saw a post from a few years back and this might be the most elegant bet for our place the next 11 months. Any experience with the Clug?

Hornit Clug Hybrid Bike Storage | Clug Your Bike Anywhere

Looking to minize the bulk, keep 3 bikes -- two with carbon tubulars -- off of each other and away from our toddler, and not have the bulk of a larger rack.
    Andy

RAI Reporter: "Did you have it in mind to go for the win today?"
    Eddy Merckx: "Why do you ask me that? Why do you think I'm here? To watch the others win?"

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: The Clug bike storage. Any experience?

Honestly, I would just run a regular hook available from any hardware store for a couple bucks. Just find the stud, drill a hole, and you're done.

Shop Blue Hawk 1-Bike Black Steel Horizontal Bike Hook at Lowes.com

or if you want something "nicer"

Shop The Art of Storage 1-Bike Silver Steel Vertical Bike Hook at Lowes.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bought one but didnt get around to using it. It is small and simple, but id back my three young kids if it came to a contest.

These things :DaHANGER Dan pedal hook

| DaHANGER Barkworx Inc.

are awesome, and i wish id known about them sooner

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

The Clug appears to rely on tire pressure to hold the bike up. It doesn't happen all the time, but it's not that rare either, for a tire to lose pressure overnight. I'd hate for that to mean the bike falls over, or could be pulled over by a toddler.
    Tdd Hllnd

Give a man a fish and feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and feed him for a lifetime. Teach a man to cycle and he will realize fishing is stupid and boring. -- Desmond Tutu

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think the Velo-Hinge from Feedback Sports is pretty trick. And their products are very durable and nicely designed in general. The hook comes in two sizes so it is the right size for most rim and tire combos, plus it folds away when not in use.

Velo Hinge | Bicycle Storage | Feedback Sports
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

DC Rainmaker had a review a while back. The tire pressure issue came up there as well.

DCR Behind the Cave: The CLUG bike mount system | DC Rainmaker
    My name is David Moeny

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have not used the product, so please take my comments with a boulder of salt...

Minimizing the design of the hook / holder does not indicate that the design priorities are where they need to be.

Presumably, the bike will be "hung" most of the time. During that time, the "hook" cannot fail.

Therefore, optimizing the design for when the bike is not present (minimal visual noise) is counter intuitive.

When the bike is present, a solution like the Feedback Sports Velo Hinge is barely noticeable in the first place.

Finally, the Clug necessarily relies on support from the floor to function. It is completely unusable if you wish to elevate the bike - which you probably do, in order to gain floor space and minimize chance of interaction with the bike when in "storage" mode.

Clug = cludge. Hard skip.

$0.02.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm currently using two to hold up our road bikes. Our apartment is small and they've come in really handy to hold both bikes up (they're vertical against the wall). They hold great and we haven't had any issues.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by j44ke View Post
    I think the Velo-Hinge from Feedback Sports is pretty trick. And their products are very durable and nicely designed in general. The hook comes in two sizes so it is the right size for most rim and tire combos, plus it folds away when not in use.

I built this myself. Got a handful of hinges, a few "regular" bike hooks and started drilling. My bike shack holds five bikes (not counting the Responsorium, which my wife allows a spot in the bedroom), in terms of saved width there's not that much gain but in our case depth was crucial. Hanging a bike at an oblique angle compared to perpendicular to the wall saves quite some space!
    Also, since it's in my shack nobody cares about the DIY lack of esthetics of the hinged hooks.

Initially I also looked at the Clug as a storage solution but I never installed it once received.
    . K R I S T O F . D ' H A E S E L E E R .

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Used 2 for a couple of years, great little product.
    -Matthew Broadbent

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by thollandpe View Post
    The Clug appears to rely on tire pressure to hold the bike up. It doesn't happen all the time, but it's not that rare either, for a tire to lose pressure overnight. I'd hate for that to mean the bike falls over, or could be pulled over by a toddler.
    This isn't an issue - in my experience it takes a hefty tug to pull out anything bigger than 23c, inflated or otherwise.

Besides which, it isn't only for holding the front wheel high so that you can get the rear against the wall. I used to use them to hold the bike upright with both wheels on the ground (I used to alternate for bike storage - one on its wheels, one up against the wall and repeat). In fact I used to be able to position one bike with the bars leaning against a perpendicular wall such that the Clug helped stabilise the bike for basic cleaning and maintenance.

Quote Originally Posted by SunnySideUp View Post
    I'm currently using two to hold up our road bikes. Our apartment is small and they've come in really handy to hold both bikes up (they're vertical against the wall). They hold great and we haven't had any issues.
    Quote Originally Posted by Broady View Post
    Used 2 for a couple of years, great little product.
    These ^^ echo my experience. If you don't need to get the bike off the floor, they're *perfectly* good. YMMV.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've been using the small Clug for a few years and have been happy with it. It's set up in my office to maintain the bike in the upright (both wheels on the ground) orientation. Some of my experience with using it:

1) You will want some kind of floor protection to keep dirty tires from staining the floor.
    2) The site advertises that the small variety is good for tires up to 32mm. I've used it successfully with 23c and 25c tires. It's too tight for 28c Gravelkings.

I wouldn't use the Clug to keep a bike away from a toddler. For that task, you need a barrier (door) or an elevated system. Keep in mind your toddler's abilities advance quickly!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by j44ke View Post

when the clug first came out I liked the aesthetic BUT there is no way I rely on that piece/tire pressure to hold my $$ bike inside ... just too much downside if the tire leaks or some one (child, pet, etc) bumps it and now my $$ bike is on the floor and taking out anything in its downward path.

tire losing pressure? where the valve stem attaches to the tube has been a culprit a few times for me...tubes get old, thats the leakage point

buy the feedback, paint it match your wall.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Any alternatives for the OP's original request? I'm in a very similar situation: looking for something to hang a single bike elevated horizontally against a wall above furniture. I'm currently eyeing the DaHanger Pedal Hook mentioned above, but would love to hear any other suggestions.