Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Clement gets it

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

"Though 'cross tubulars won't be available until 2010, the company has already lined up some marquis talent to help in their development: look for handbuilt prototype tread and casing designs under the Kona cyclo-cross team and burgeoning young talent Amy Dombroski (Richard Sachs/CYBC) this season.

Two nylon road clinchers will follow the Crusade PDX: a 28mm-wide Roubaix-style tire with a smooth center and herringbone shoulders and a similar design with a 25mm casing."

28mm AND 25mm? too cool...

and props to Amy and RS/cybc
    Steve Hampsten
    www.hampsten.blogspot.com
    "hey, we got grenades!"

Post Thanks / Like

***I THOUGHT THEY BROKE THE MOLD & BURNED ALL THEIR BLUEPRINTS ***

Who are these guys?

Post Thanks / Like

Talking

New tread.

Post Thanks / Like

So...

Made in Europe or Thailand?

Are these the original Clement guys, or has the name just been sold to some investors with no connection to the original company? Who is behind it?

Could be cool. Could be a big disappointment.

Post Thanks / Like

Name has been sold...again....The old Clement tooling was packed up and sent from Italy to Thailand years ago. They operated as Clement for a while...then as Foxonall...and now as Challenge...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by El Chaba View Post
    Name has been sold...again....The old Clement tooling was packed up and sent from Italy to Thailand years ago. They operated as Clement for a while...then as Foxonall...and now as Challenge...
    So... Challenge is just resurrecting the old Clement name and putting it on a new tread pattern?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post
    So... Challenge is just resurrecting the old Clement name and putting it on a new tread pattern?
    I don't know if Challenge is making the tires or not.....The Clement name was seperated from any manufacturing facility when Foxonall was formed about 20 years ago...since then it has been just a name that has been licensed from time to time to different companies who think they can market it. Vittoria even licensed the name for a year or two....

Post Thanks / Like

and the new logo kicks ass. in the market for a large print of that in a very bad way...
    /Andy A

Post Thanks / Like

Default Who's behind the re-introduction of the Clement brand

Hello all,
    Let me introduce myself - Donn Kellogg, GM of Donnelly Sports which is the licensee of the Clement brand from Pirelli SA, Milano, Italy.

I am a long time industry guy, started in NYC at Can Carriers/Mobile Messengers and Toga Bike shop on Ave B - early/mid 70's, worked for Trek (way before they are who they are today), Raleigh, Kona, Ritchey, a couple of Italian companies while living in Italy and most recently President of Challenge USA. In the last few months, I have worked with Pirelli to license an iconic brand of the bicycle industry - Clement. Believe me, we are truly honored to be able to bring this brand back to the market. Clement tires were my race tires in the Pacific Northwest from the late 70's through the 80's. As an early bike messenger in NYC the Clement Criterium Seta was a tire I drooled over. I/we are truly possessed to bring this brand back with the passion and energy that it deserves. The words that we have received since we have started this venture - Cross Vegas was our first announcement - have made us humble and even more focused to get it right. I/we are of the industry, cut our teeth on numerous products throughout the world over a long period of time and we listen to everyone we speak to. Passionate…just one look at the quiver of custom lighting bolt lugged Erickson’s (first artistic lug bike Glenn made) in my garage will tell you I live for this. We are out there in the field and very involved…you can find me in the pits at all the USGP races as I have been handing off Amy's and Ryan's bikes there for the last year...with Ryan I now put on shin pads...actually a funny joke between us from last year's NJ USGP. These riders and a few sounding board team members are very involved in the design process that we take towards the tires. We want to make it right – this brand deserves it! And if we don’t get it, we will retool and make sure we do.

Our first tire is a cyclocross design - our design. The next series of tires are road - 700x25 & 700x28. We will keep releasing designs in both nylon clinchers and soon tubular (for next year’s cross season) until we have a complete line up of tires. We are also venturing outside the normal bicycle tire manufacturing vendor connections to research other materials that may be applicable to the bicycle tire. These materials have to bring a performance and rider enhancement element to the game, not just some marketing buzz words. Regarding where we will tires made…the world is a large place with a lot of options and we will look at the right vendor for the job. It may not just be Thailand, Taiwan or Europe. We hope to truly surprise some people…

Thank you for this opportunity to introduce myself and some of our initial plans. Here is my email for reference: donn@donnellysports.com

All the best!
    Donn

Post Thanks / Like

now that's an intro. nicely put. totally get that you are coming from a soulful place with this venture, and that is huge. wish you the best!
    /Andy A

Post Thanks / Like

thanks! Let's me know what you think as we release the goods.

Post Thanks / Like

Boy. The Vsalon really delivered on this thread.

Donn, thanks for the intro. You should post a pic of your bike in the gallery and be sure to keep us in the know. Also, a poster of that logo would be pretty sick.

Shino, you get a sticker.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    we are about to break the surly bonds of gravity and punch the face of God!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by donnkellogg View Post
    thanks! Let's me know what you think as we release the goods.
    Road tubulars coming too?
    Ted.

Post Thanks / Like

I look forward to seeing these.

Post Thanks / Like

Word up for Portland. Looks like all the self respecting Cross Crusade riders will almost be required to have a set of these. Let's get these guys off the ground!

Good thing I ride clinchers. Now we have cross clinchers for the discerning rider.
    Last edited by lavi; 10-08-2009 at 09:41 PM. Reason: typo

Post Thanks / Like

Hello - thanks for the kind words and support! Regarding road tubulars - yep, we are working on it...need a bit more than the five weeks that we are into the venture at the moment. But, we will move quick, that is for sure. As for Portland, I lived there, Seattle and Bellingham for awhile so I am acustomed to that type of riding Road, MTB, Cross and Track (Marymoor and Alpenrose) plus two of the sounding board testers based there. Off camber and "I am going to drop into that" kind of cross course...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by donnkellogg View Post
    Hello - thanks for the kind words and support! Regarding road tubulars - yep, we are working on it...need a bit more than the five weeks that we are into the venture at the moment. But, we will move quick, that is for sure. As for Portland, I lived there, Seattle and Bellingham for awhile so I am acustomed to that type of riding Road, MTB, Cross and Track (Marymoor and Alpenrose) plus two of the sounding board testers based there. Off camber and "I am going to drop into that" kind of cross course...

Let me know if you need another amateur tire tester. ;)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by a-game View Post
    and the new logo kicks ass. in the market for a large print of that in a very bad way...
    Yup! me too, I got room on the wall for that.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Shinomaster View Post
    Let me know if you need another amateur tire tester. ;)
    2nd that! Those 28c road clinchers sound like the bizness.