User Tag List

Likes Likes:  0
Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Chris King hub conversion 135 to 130???

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    360
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Question Chris King hub conversion 135 to 130???

    I know someone just mentioned this in another thread but I cannot find it? How do I convert a Chris King MTB135mm. rear hub to road 130mm., or should I say where do I get the part to do it and is the shell the same on both road and MTB, they just change the hubends???

    Thnx in advance,
     

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    3,142
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Chris King hub conversion 135 to 130???

    There are 2 different endcaps (left side) that alter the spacing from one to the other. You swap them and respace the rim (if currently built up).

    I might have one here if you want the hub to be 130mm.

    -eric
     

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    360
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Chris King hub conversion 135 to 130???

    Quote Originally Posted by ergott View Post
    There are 2 different endcaps (left side) that alter the spacing from one to the other. You swap them and respace the rim (if currently built up).

    I might have one here if you want the hub to be 130mm.

    -eric
    Yep, my MTB has a set of King hubs but the rims are sorta toasted so instead of having them sit I was kicking around the idea of building the hubs into road wheels and actually use them more than twice a year. If you can dig up the endcaps to make them 130 let me know whatcha want for it? Hey while your lookin let me know if you have any 32 hole hoops you want to unload, I'd consider clinchers or tubs since I only have a mixed bag of mismatched stuff floating around here so if I do it, I should do it right I suppose? Thnx Eric, text me or call if you can find them
    J
     

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    3,142
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Chris King hub conversion 135 to 130???

    Quote Originally Posted by spicoli View Post
    Yep, my MTB has a set of King hubs but the rims are sorta toasted so instead of having them sit I was kicking around the idea of building the hubs into road wheels and actually use them more than twice a year. If you can dig up the endcaps to make them 130 let me know whatcha want for it? Hey while your lookin let me know if you have any 32 hole hoops you want to unload, I'd consider clinchers or tubs since I only have a mixed bag of mismatched stuff floating around here so if I do it, I should do it right I suppose? Thnx Eric, text me or call if you can find them
    J
    I have a bunch of rims upstairs. I'll call you and see when you can drop by. In the mean time, I'll look to see if I have that cap.

    -Eric
     

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    DURHAM, North Cackalacky
    Posts
    1,489
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Chris King hub conversion 135 to 130???

    Bump of an old thread, here:

    is this the part of which you guys speak? Just the $14 CK rear axle end? Or do you have to replace the entire axle (~$80)?

    Chris King Rear Classic Axle End 130mm Road - Wheelbuilder.com

    Do you need the special CK tools to do it?

    Mucho appreciated.
    -JZ
     

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    2,796
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Chris King hub conversion 135 to 130???

    Quote Originally Posted by zambenini View Post
    Bump of an old thread, here:

    is this the part of which you guys speak? Just the $14 CK rear axle end? Or do you have to replace the entire axle (~$80)?

    Chris King Rear Classic Axle End 130mm Road - Wheelbuilder.com

    Do you need the special CK tools to do it?

    Mucho appreciated.
    -JZ
    Yes.

    I have done with a couple of sets of King hubs (branded Bontrager for the year that they built hubs for their pre-built top shelf wheels) and I vaguely remeber that you need to confirm that the hub can switch over- evidently there are hubs that can not be switched from 135 to 130.
     

  7. #7
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    7,539
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Chris King hub conversion 135 to 130???

    Quote Originally Posted by zambenini View Post
    Bump of an old thread, here:

    is this the part of which you guys speak? Just the $14 CK rear axle end? Or do you have to replace the entire axle (~$80)?

    Chris King Rear Classic Axle End 130mm Road - Wheelbuilder.com

    Do you need the special CK tools to do it?

    Mucho appreciated.
    -JZ
    That's it, two Allen wrenches is all you need and maybe the tool to tighten preload though I can use my fingers just fine.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    DURHAM, North Cackalacky
    Posts
    1,489
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Chris King hub conversion 135 to 130???

    Boomski. While we're all talking about CK hubs, you guys know if these things have similar enough drive-side spacing to the R45s to use them interchangeably in one bike?

    I.e. If one switches between wheels with R45s, and wheels with Classics, will the derailleur still be properly aligned? [This question is related to my annual digging up of one-bike-to-rule-them-all-threads]...
     

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •