Thread: Chorus 9/10 sp lower gearing options

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Chorus 9/10 sp lower gearing options

My touring rig is as follows:

Campagnolo Chorus 9 sp rear derailleur (1999 came with IF Crown J)
    Campagnolo CX 10 sp 46/36 crank
    Chorus Cassette (probably 12-27)
    Chorus 9 sp chain
    Xenon 9 sp shifters (broke Chorus shifter attempting a wheelie)

My question is can I put a 32 inner ring on that crank and will everything work? If yes, can you link me exactly what ring I need.

I assume 27 is the largest cassette I can run?

I've never ridden with panniers and extra weight and I'm worried about dirt climbs. I don't mind walking for a short hill or two but don't want to get in a situation where I have a 5k off-road climb and I'm using my back and not my legs to go up.

So what are my options to get lower gearing?

This literally could be my last ride on this setup so I don't want to put a lot of money into this project but I need reliability. I don't mind springing for an inner ring if that will make me happy on the road.

Many thanks for putting your head on this for a sec: I'm jonesing to light out for the territories this summer with my fly rod. Right now eyeing 1,300 kilometers mostly off-road with hopefully a brown trout or two.

PS. While here, I have Ortlieb front panniers but need a little extra room. If anyone has any suggestions for a front bag or mini rack + bag setup I'm all ears. One big issue is I have Campagnolo cantilevers which rules out a saddlebag and possibly a front bag as well. But I have a pair of TRP CX 8.4 mini Vs that I could swap for, so either way.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Chorus 9/10 sp lower gearing options

13x28 and 14x28 9v Veloce cassettes are available. They are the lowest 9v cassettes available from Campag. A 110 bcd crankset will accept a 34 small ring. The TA Zephyr is available in a 33 tooth, but don't know if it will work with a Campag CX crank. I think that your RD has a 27 tooth capacity, but most times you can over-reach by a tooth or two.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by WFSTEKL View Post
    13x28 and 14x28 9v Veloce cassettes are available. They are the lowest 9v cassettes available from Campag. A 110 bcd crankset will accept a 34 small ring. The TA Zephyr is available in a 33 tooth, but don't know if it will work with a Campag CX crank. I think that your RD has a 27 tooth capacity, but most times you can over-reach by a tooth or two.
    Ouch. Sounds like I'm going to be walking!

It's not worth it for a one tooth jump. I was hoping I could put a really small ring on the crank and get by but it's not sounding like that's the case. I'll make it it's just life is going to suck in a couple of places I'm positive.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i know you are not in the US, but a brand new GRX 46/30 crankset is a little over 100 bucks and will work perfectly with your existing kit and get you quite a bit lower low gear.

that's not much more than most good chainrings...

Shimano GRX FC-RX6 Crankset 2x11-speed - 46/3 Teeth 172.5mm-Gravel/Cyclocross | eBay

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bring a comfortable pair of shoes and learn to sing.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

If you replace the rear shifter with a 10v unit or rebuild it with a 10v gear, you can use the Centaur 12-30 cassette which is damn nice.

If you stay with 9v you can get a Miche 29-tooth cog for the inner position with a spacer, and leave out another cog in the stack. This works pretty well.

Or you could just get a triple crank and use the stock 30-tooth inner, or even smaller. I use a 28. Unlike the compact double the bolt circles are standard and compatible with other brands. I really like the 39 or 40-tooth middle ring because you ride with a better chainline more often. The front shifter is triple ready, and your derailleur is a maybe. And you'll need a medium cage derailleur unless you're good with having the granny only as a bailout.
    Last edited by thollandpe; 06-02-2020 at 09:56 AM.
    Trod Harland, Physical Educator

Not everything that is faced can be changed, but nothing can be changed until it is faced. — James Baldwin

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by thollandpe View Post
    If you replace the rear shifter with a 10v unit or rebuild it with a 10v gear, you can use the Centaur 12-30 cassette which is damn nice.
    If I bought a 10 sp derailleur and that Centaur cassette would I be good to go as in everything else will jive? I probably need a new chain so that's not a problem to go with a 10 sp chain.

This sounds like a decent option although I don't know how much difference I'll notice with the 30 in the rear? 36-30 really isn't that low ... a 34 would be better.

I don't know if I want to get into a triple just because I don't think I'll use it much whereas if this works I may be inclined to use it next year though I need a new frame at some point as the shit box (surly cross-check) is getting rusty although only in places like the rack eyelets.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by holliscx View Post
    If I bought a 10 sp derailleur and that Centaur cassette would I be good to go as in everything else will jive? I probably need a new chain so that's not a problem to go with a 10 sp chain.

This sounds like a decent option although I don't know how much difference I'll notice with the 30 in the rear? 36-30 really isn't that low ... a 34 would be better.

I don't know if I want to get into a triple just because I don't think I'll use it much whereas if this works I may be inclined to use it next year though I need a new frame at some point as the shit box (surly cross-check) is getting rusty although only in places like the rack eyelets.
    A 34 ring is pretty available. Just note that even though it's nominally 110-mm BCD it's proprietary to Campagnolo because the one bolt behind the crank is different.

POR-15 touch-up for the rust.
    Trod Harland, Physical Educator

Not everything that is faced can be changed, but nothing can be changed until it is faced. — James Baldwin

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've just snagged a used 46/30 crankset to get some lower gearing on my very similar setup (previously 50/34). Should be a noticeable difference (whenever the cranks arrive).

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am using a 46x30 fsa subcompaxt on my main road bike these days too. As I am not racing anymore and not into group rides a 46x11 is a big enough top end and it allows me to be in the middle of the cassette on single digits gradients and get a lot of low end options in the double digit ones, even with a campy cassette ending with a 29.

The only annoyance is it uses some non common 19mm diameter spindle, thus a particular bb but I hope the larger bearinga will make it last a lpng time.
    Last edited by sk_tle; 06-03-2020 at 11:38 AM.
    --
    T h o m a s

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I can't add anything other than great photo...reminds me of Stefan Rohner's images.
    rw saunders
    everything is connected

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I run a Centaur 10 triple crankset: 52/42/30 and a 12-30 cassette with a Record 10 long-cage derailleur. I like this setup better than a compact front. If I can get a 28 on the crankset so much the better.
    Jay Dwight

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ides1056 View Post
    I run a Centaur 10 triple crankset: 52/42/30 and a 12-30 cassette with a Record 10 long-cage derailleur. I like this setup better than a compact front. If I can get a 28 on the crankset so much the better.
    You can go down to a 24 inner ring with a Campagnolo triple. I run 50/40/26 on one of my bikes. The change from 26 to 40 is not as good as 30 to 40 but it works well enough.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The easy answer is to stop worrying about the big ring and get something small on the inside.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The cheapest way is to buy a NOS or lightly used 2x10 MTB chainset from the late 26" era . They usually had something like 42x30 or 40x28 ratios available. Look for shimano XT/XTR or Sram X7 / X9.

While not ideal your front mech should be able to shift it (a mech made for a triple would work better I guess), this is not a bike for road racing anyway so you can handle some slow shifts.

example (website is bad looking but legit, I ordered a few parts from them over the years):
    CNC-Bike Onlineshop - FSA Comet 386 Kurbel 175mm 4/28Z schwarz 1-fach inkl. Mega Exo BB
    Last edited by sk_tle; 06-04-2020 at 06:08 AM.
    --
    T h o m a s

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I just talked to my mechanic and he suggests purchasing a 2 x XT crank plus an XT bottom bracket. He said everything will work beautifully as he's done this for people many times. I'm going to get a new chain and he recommended 10 sp.

Shimano Deore XT FC-M8-2 Crankset 2x11-speed - black - Bike24

He said the BB should be English threaded - is this BB below the right one? (I didn't realize BBs cost $20 wow)

Shimano Deore XT BB-MT8 Bottom Bracket BSA Hollowtech II - Bike24

Re: 34-24, 36-26, 38-28 I was thinking 38-28 just to have more top end does that sound right? I'm doing this purely as a mostly off-road touring setup and I believe my cassette is a 12-27 though don't quote me.

Is 28-27 a good low gear or is there any reason I should go with either of the other two options?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is there any chainline/ bb fitment/ q factor issue doing this? I am in a similar position to you, and had been looking at praxis sub compact cranks. But if an XT crank will work that would be preferable!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

With the XT BB, you have a 73mm wide BB on a bike with a 68mm BB shell so several spacers get used (incl'd with the BB) to make up the difference. I think that puts the outer chainring farther out than would be on a road crank, but if your mechanic has done a bunch of these, he's likely gotten that all figured out. I would guess the simplest solution is to put a triple front derailleur on the bike so the cage could reach the outer chainring. But maybe he has a better solution.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

IRD []IRD Cassette 1sp Elite Campy | Interloc Racing makes Campy 10-speed compatible cassettes up to 11-34. The long-cage Campy 10-speed derailleurs can handle these, probably the medium as well. You can also use a Wolftooth.
    I find the Centaur 12-30 or Chorus/Record 13-29, with the 30-40-50 triple adequate for most hills I encounter, and as others have noted, you can use a smaller inner ring.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is the "usual" thing of "how to make the gears lower even if they weren't meant to?", which in turn should be taken with an open approach, in a way where the end user is well aware of the risk that an experiment brings. For example, I won't use it on a long tour.

There are several problems in pushing the capacity of the RD, and the FD as well. Your RD can only cope with a 29T if it's a medium or long cage, larger rear sprockets like 30T will get the top jockey wheel too close to the sprocket, and this is exacerbated when your front chainset has a big jump in between the rings: the chain will have to be done long enough for the RD to cope, but this means that will not be in tension enough to get the top jockey wheel on a decent distance form the largest sprocket(s).
    The 1-2 links longer chain will bring another problem, too, and it's the chain-slap. Those RD's are not meant to be used on proper offroad for long, you will have the chain constantly slapping your chainstay and get messed up.

You also have the FD that won't cope well on smaller size chainrings, unless you are luck with a chainstay angle that is spot-on, you're likely to have the tail of the FD cage to be so distant from the rings that shifting will be poor, and likely the chain will fall form the chainrings.

If you want my opinion: sell the groupset on Ebay and cash in for a Deore groupset. Or just wait a little for a 1x13 that's made in EU
    Andrea "Gattonero" Cattolico, head mechanic @Condor Cycles London

"Caron, non ti crucciare:
    vuolsi così colà dove si puote
    ciò che si vuole, e più non dimandare"

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast