User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 42

Thread: Catskills as cycling destination

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Manhattan NY
    Posts
    912
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Catskills as cycling destination

    Curious to know how popular weekend or day trips to the Catskills are. For the New Yorkers on this site, anyone in the regular habit of taking the train to Poughkeepsie. If so where are you going. I know of only two general areas , the Gunks and Devil's Kitchen. Please share. Thanks.

    -Mike G
     

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    On a rock in the middle of the ocean
    Posts
    7,124
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Catskills as cycling destination

    Pretty sure this is a forum guy page. Try this link out.

    Catskills Cycling Bicycle Routes | Riding the Catskills
     

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Manhattan NY
    Posts
    912
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Catskills as cycling destination

    Thanks, I read it regularly. The site is more of diary of one rider. It is interesting though.
     

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    2,379
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Catskills as cycling destination

    I like the back side of the Catskills too. Technically we are dealing along the Delaware, but going to Port Jervis, riding Hawk's Nest along the Delaware Scenic Byway is aways nice. There are roads branching off to explore.

    http://portjervisny.com/hawksnest3.1.jpg

    http://www.upperdelawarescenicbyway.org/

    I always thought the area was a right out of a John Steinbeck novel.
    #
     

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    255
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Catskills as cycling destination

    Lots and lots of great stuff out there. I've pilfered a couple of John's routes from his site mentioned above.

    For a single day of riding, you can take the train up to Poughkeepsie and then get in a great day of riding by heading west over to New Paltz.

    If you want to take a bit of a longer trip (weekend), think about going north to Columbia County. I took a week before starting a new job and stayed up there in an AirBnb. The cycling up there was incredible. Lots of wonderful empty back roads, lots of nice sweeping vistas, and I'm happy to share some of the routes I used. I've started scheming on ways to get up that way more regularly.
     

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    246
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Catskills as cycling destination

    Quote Originally Posted by fastupslowdown View Post
    Thanks, I read it regularly. The site is more of diary of one rider. It is interesting though.
    DID SOMEONE SAY CATSKILLS

    Actually there are three of us, there's me (John F), John S (who is Globecanvas here) and Anton, who covers the northern Catskills.

    If you check out the about page you'll see a link to about 1 million GPS routes in the area ranging from 10 miles to >200 miles. I'm more than happy to map out a route just for you if you want. And to accompany you on that route if you want company :-)

    I try not to make it a diary, although I do occasionally post pictures of my pets and other off topic stuff. Still, it's 90% bikes.

    Here's a good post with some routes with a little climbing. I have since completed 7 of 8.

    http://ridingthecatskills.com/2013/0...ulster-county/

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Manhattan NY
    Posts
    912
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Catskills as cycling destination

    Quote Originally Posted by rfj1862 View Post
    DID SOMEONE SAY CATSKILLS

    Actually there are three of us, there's me (John F), John S (who is Globecanvas here) and Anton, who covers the northern Catskills.

    If you check out the about page you'll see a link to about 1 million GPS routes in the area ranging from 10 miles to >200 miles. I'm more than happy to map out a route just for you if you want. And to accompany you on that route if you want company :-)

    I try not to make it a diary, although I do occasionally post pictures of my pets and other off topic stuff. Still, it's 90% bikes.

    Here's a good post with some routes with a little climbing. I have since completed 7 of 8.

    Odi et Amo: The Eight Biggest Climbs in Ulster County | Riding the Catskills
    Apologies. If I've mis-characterized your excellent site. I thought about contacting you guys once, but as a rider trapped betwen A & B category I always think I won't keep up. I'm good on the hills and slow on the descents, but I guess that should be obvious...
     

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Manhattan NY
    Posts
    912
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Catskills as cycling destination

    I might just do that. Doing a ride through Devil's Kitchen this Sunday, but after that a distinct possibility. Thank you.
     

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Chappaqua, NY
    Posts
    3,283
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Catskills as cycling destination

    Quote Originally Posted by nycjames View Post
    If you want to take a bit of a longer trip (weekend), think about going north to Columbia County. I took a week before starting a new job and stayed up there in an AirBnb. The cycling up there was incredible. Lots of wonderful empty back roads, lots of nice sweeping vistas, and I'm happy to share some of the routes I used. I've started scheming on ways to get up that way more regularly.
    For serious. Martin Van Buren knew what was up. Columbia county rocks.
     

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Brooklyn
    Posts
    3,158
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Catskills as cycling destination

    Quote Originally Posted by vertical_doug View Post
    I like the back side of the Catskills too. Technically we are dealing along the Delaware, but going to Port Jervis, riding Hawk's Nest along the Delaware Scenic Byway is aways nice. There are roads branching off to explore.

    http://portjervisny.com/hawksnest3.1.jpg

    Upper Delaware Scenic Byway - New York State Route 97

    I always thought the area was a right out of a John Steinbeck novel.
    #
    I've almost done this a few times. Seems like at least the hawk's nest would be the kind of road where you would be dodging too many motos though.
     

  11. #11
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Dirtville
    Posts
    13,627
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Catskills as cycling destination

    heyo,

    the gunks and catskills rule. for a close second, check out riding in central park. amazing dirt roads, and really low traffic.
     

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    13,755
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Catskills as cycling destination

    Quote Originally Posted by DarrenCT View Post
    heyo,

    the gunks and catskills rule. for a close second, check out riding in central park. amazing dirt roads, and really low traffic.
    You just made the spirit of Frederick Law Olmsted very happy. Of course, spirits have no sense of sarcasm, so....
    Jorn Ake
    poet

    Flickr
    Books

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    246
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Catskills as cycling destination

    Even though I think Ulster/Greene/Delaware/Columbia counties offer the best riding in the state, I rarely see other cyclists up here, and when I do they are usually locals.

    When I lived downtown it took forever to get across the bridge and onto crappy 9W, especially on nice days when the west side "bike path" was packed with idiots. Better to take a train to Poughkeepsie or Brewster.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    Posts
    724
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Catskills as cycling destination

    Quote Originally Posted by nycjames View Post
    For a single day of riding, you can take the train up to Poughkeepsie and then get in a great day of riding by heading west over to New Paltz.
    I've been thinking about doing this (or catching the train up to Peekskill to ride from Bear Mtn back to NYC), but the timing always looks inconvenient - Is it possible to get on a northbound train out of Grand Central before 9am with a bike?
    Neil

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    246
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Catskills as cycling destination

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr B View Post
    I've been thinking about doing this (or catching the train up to Peekskill to ride from Bear Mtn back to NYC), but the timing always looks inconvenient - Is it possible to get on a northbound train out of Grand Central before 9am with a bike?
    I don't know what the weekday rules are any more, but I think you can take any train on weekends.

    If you do go to Peekskill, head north on Albany Post and then cross over to 9D on S Mountain Pass Road for a good time.

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Brooklyn
    Posts
    3,158
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Catskills as cycling destination

    I just rode that, Old Albany Post, Upland Drive (beware), and pretty much every other dirt road in that area on Wednesday. Good stuff. Sunken Mine is the f'ing best.
     

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Manhattan NY
    Posts
    912
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Catskills as cycling destination

    I just redid Devil's Kitchen on Sunday, having been a little disappointed in my climb at the end of the Tour De Catskills. Having to compete with the occasional car going up the climb takes a little away from it, but it's sure nice to get a strong climb in at when fresh as opposed to at the end of a 70 mile race(increased my time significantly too!-pat on the back). Now having done two rides in the area, I'm left with the conclusion that one needs to concentrate on Catskill Park. Riding up from Kingston and shifting the ride to the south a bit removes some of the best scenery and roads. I have a lot of respect now for the organizers of the Tour De Catskills in how they came up with their route. Last Sunday I was following a route based on one from the NYCC which I think was designed more around the fact that riders were coming by train to Poughkeepsie. I think I'd like to try Peekamoose next I'm so addicted to challenging climbs.

    -Mike G
     

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    246
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Catskills as cycling destination

    Quote Originally Posted by fastupslowdown View Post
    I just redid Devil's Kitchen on Sunday, having been a little disappointed in my climb at the end of the Tour De Catskills. Having to compete with the occasional car going up the climb takes a little away from it, but it's sure nice to get a strong climb in at when fresh as opposed to at the end of a 70 mile race(increased my time significantly too!-pat on the back). Now having done two rides in the area, I'm left with the conclusion that one needs to concentrate on Catskill Park. Riding up from Kingston and shifting the ride to the south a bit removes some of the best scenery and roads. I have a lot of respect now for the organizers of the Tour De Catskills in how they came up with their route. Last Sunday I was following a route based on one from the NYCC which I think was designed more around the fact that riders were coming by train to Poughkeepsie. I think I'd like to try Peekamoose next I'm so addicted to challenging climbs.

    -Mike G
    Congratulations! That's a tough climb.

    Peekamoose isn't really that challenging, but it is a ton of fun. Plus there's a parking lot right at the base of Watson Hollow Road that's good place to start and end.

    If you want challenging (at the same level as Platte Clove), try Vista Maria or Glade Hill. Mt Meenagha/South Gully Road is less steep but much longer. Route 23A, which is just to the north of Platte Clove, climbs the same ridge over a much longer route. Let me know if you want more specific directions.

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Manhattan NY
    Posts
    912
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Catskills as cycling destination

    John , I shot you a private message. -Mike G
     

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Highest Property Taxes in the USA
    Posts
    388
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Catskills as cycling destination

    Check out the Mini Fondo. Great vistas and killer climbs (and descents): MHBC - Hudson Valley Cycling, Dutchess Ulster Cycling!
     

Similar Threads

  1. Gran Fondo Catskills
    By fastupslowdown in forum Events
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-23-2014, 08:08 PM
  2. Gran Fondo Catskills-June 1 and 2
    By layne in forum Events
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-21-2013, 07:46 AM
  3. the non-training ride: destination = beer
    By fmbp in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 29
    Last Post: 07-01-2012, 07:41 PM
  4. Ride Destination Intelligence Gathering - Finger Lakes Region
    By jonnycomelately in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 06-15-2012, 07:42 AM
  5. riding in the catskills
    By DCT in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 36
    Last Post: 09-01-2011, 02:54 PM

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •