Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Carl Strong

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Carl Strong

So why doesn't Mr. Strong get much love in these parts? I know DK speaks fondly of him and someone else commented in a recent thread that he's the "smartest man in the bike business", but I don't see a lot of his work here or "across the hall" (I'm hoping to do change that sooner or later).
    Here's my theory: he builds no nonsense bikes at a reasonable cost that don't have a huge "ooh and ahhh" factor--something that many folks around here desire.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

do you have one?
    i dont think i've ever seen on in life.
    i see a lot of stuff, i'm east coast fr sure.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by scrooge View Post
    Here's my theory: he builds no nonsense bikes at a reasonable cost that don't have a huge "ooh and ahhh" factor--something that many folks around here desire.
    I have two of his bikes--a ti and a steel. They are just as you described. They just do the job. As for the "ooh and ahh" factor, he is using Spectrum Powderworks now for his painting and those folks can give you all the bling that you could possibly want. And yes, he does stainless steel if you want that.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default A quiet presence

He's a class act. He doesn't post a lot anywhere and that keeps him under most radar. I bought mine as an early retirement / celebration gift to myself. The whole process from beginning to end was enjoyable.
    For example: Carl phoned one morning and said" I'm getting ready to weld your frame today, and wanted to make sure I didn't have any last minute concerns or requests" A few hours later I was surprised to see that he had e mailed jpegs of my frame, then again after powder.
    Prior to that, when I was deciding on color he shipped me a selection of powder coated tubes to help me decide.
    He answers his phone, responds to e mails, delivered the frame a week early. The frame came with spotless threads chased and faced.
    When I told one of the guys I ride with about my new frame he said "Carl who?" When he saw the frame all his first words were...WOW!, yea baby!
    He nailed the fit as well as the finish. I really like this bike. On the first ride I knew I made great decision.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This one used to be in my collection. Carl was terrific to deal with. The bike did everything I expected it to, except inspire me. Not the problem of the bike though. It was exactly as rigid as Carl said it would be when I tried to define what I wanted. It handled nicely. Was comfortable.

Of all the customs I have had (admittedly not many) this one turned out exactly as I asked Carl to make it. The problem there was too much customer input.......

I sold it and whoever bought it got a good deal, because I took a pretty big loss just to move it quickly. I wish I had kept the headset.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    La Cheeserie!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Carl who?

Anybody have pics of his bikes? Website maybe? How did he get so Strong? Is it true his wife is a 3-time national champion and Olympic Gold Medal winner or that Carl is Buddy Holly's son, changed his name to make it on his own, and played drums for Elvis Costello?

Last edited by Archibald; 08-01-2008 at 11:35 AM.
    "It's better to not know so much than to know so many things that ain't so." -- Josh Billings, 1885

A man with any character at all must have enemies and places he is not welcome—in the end we are not only defined by our friends, but also those aligned against us.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by scrooge View Post
    So why doesn't Mr. Strong get much love in these parts? I know DK speaks fondly of him and someone else commented in a recent thread that he's the "smartest man in the bike business", but I don't see a lot of his work here or "across the hall" (I'm hoping to do change that sooner or later).
    Don't project.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Saab2000 View Post
    The problem there was too much customer input.......
    One wise man. But it takes two to tango, innit?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Catulle View Post
    One wise man. But it takes two to tango, innit?
    Yeah, and ultimately there was nothing really wrong with the bike. All the geo worked, etc. But going back to stock size bikes has actually increased my enjoyment. My Look and my Merckx and my new/used stock 57 Serotta are a lot of fun. They are all stock sizes.

Carl made my somewhat odd requests work. And the requests weren't outrageous.

It was a very nice bike. But my stock bikes are more to my liking. And the incoming Zank will be close to my Look in size and geo. A tweak here or there, but I am leaving the details up to Mike.
    La Cheeserie!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

carl is top notch and a true pleasure to work with.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

he gets love.
    shrink, terrorist, poet, president of concerned cyclists for the abolishment of bovine source bicycle parts and head of the disaffected commie dishwashers union.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

he's in montana, and he's outstanding in his field

carl rocks

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by hampco View Post
    he's outstanding in his field
    there's a joke there somewhere...

-g

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by GrantM View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by hampco View Post
    he's outstanding in his field
    there's a joke there somewhere...

-g
    ...raisin' up a crop o' dental floss... raisin' it up an' waxin' it down... in a little white box that he can sell uptown...

a joke and a Frank Zappa tune!

Last edited by happycampyer; 08-01-2008 at 01:40 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I recently enjoyed a ride with a fellow from Minnesota who was competing in the US Transplant Games. He had a Strong Ti frame, 1/2 paint 1/2 polish which he was very pleased with. I'm certainly not a QA/QC inspector, but the finish and details appeared to be very well done. It didn't hurt that he had the bike fitted with the new Red either. I'm sure that he would discuss the process and the bike if you want me to put you in contact with him.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Jeezus.

You don't hear much about Carl because he's doing it all wrong. Carl is one of the best craftsmen in the business. Period. He doesn't play marketing games, he doesn't sell hype more than product, he doesn't do inclusion or exclusion. He keeps his head down and he produces some of the best handmade frames in the world.

I'd be proud to ride one his frames. If you dig what he does, you can rest assured that you can pay more, but you can't buy a better bike. Besides that, I like the guy, he's a real person in a world of plastic. And he owns half of Montana. And his wife is hot.
    "It's better to not know so much than to know so many things that ain't so." -- Josh Billings, 1885

A man with any character at all must have enemies and places he is not welcome—in the end we are not only defined by our friends, but also those aligned against us.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You had me at...

Quote Originally Posted by Archibald View Post
    And his wife is hot.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have done 8 custom projects over the last 7 years and 3 of them have been with Carl. I guess that percentage speaks to what I think of him in terms of his skill and my experience in working with him.

There are 3 guys in this business I would unhesitatingly throw money at again and again if the mood struck me. He's one of them.

So why doesn't he get any love? I don't think it's that he doesn't get any at all - he has a horde of fans on RBR. It's probably more that the personality of the forums segregate buyers and so you'll see him loved in some places and never mentioned in others. Your last sentence might be the key.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 14max View Post
    That begs the question: Who are the other two?
    They know who they are.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by tai rui View Post
    They know who they are.

Do either of them get more tail than Sinatra?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast