Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Canyon Aeroad "Stop Ride"

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Canyon Aeroad "Stop Ride"

You may have seen something about this if you watched Le Samyn the other day. Nice win by Tim Merlier. But his lead out, Mathieu Van der Poel, had his bars break late in the race. And now Canyon (according to nearly every online bicycle publication but nowhere on Canyon's website that I can find) has asked customers to stop using Canyon Aeroad CF SLX and CFR models immediately. The part(s) in question on these bikes are the CP0018 and CP0015 handlebars. These are the new designs from Canyon that are extendable in width. Van der Poel's bars did not break at the extension joint but at the point where the levers clamp to the bar. Which is why he was leading out Tim Merlier and not sprinting himself.

Just putting this here on a forum for handmade custom steel, titanium and carbon bikes because who knows, maybe someone has one these and there's been (surprisingly) no discussion here about it so just FYI in case it got missed.

Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Canyon Aeroad "Stop Ride"

Of all the crazy things I've seen during a race that would be one of them.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think that Canyon “Gillette Mach 3” dual handlebar from a few years ago would be the ultimate Stop Ride, much like the Birkenstocks contraception joke.
    my name is Matt

INSTA

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Too Tall View Post
    Yeah. No crash or anything. Just appeared at the front with his shifter dangling going as hard as he could in that particular gear. Everyone got in behind him but then when he went to the side and Merlier lit it up from way back to finish it off. As he pulled over, Van der Poel was looking and looking - must have been for Merlier - and seemed to be shouting into his radio. Nice win for Merlier.

https://www.eurosport.com/cycling/le...17/video.shtml
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That's almost as crazy as a crank busting in two in the middle of a ride. . . .

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Shame he didn't tear it off with his teeth and spit it out.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So apparently where the shifter mounts, the bars are not circular in section they are somewhat of a square shape, which means a proprietary clamp
    Has to be used, this clamp,consists of a couple Of additional hinges. Why this is so, you’d have to ask Canyon’s design engineers but it does seem that either the design is flawed, application or installation was incorrect.

This new bike seems to be full of different designs that either haven’t been thought through, tested comprehensively or just suffering bad luck.

Wether the stop riding verdict would have been issued if it had been Joe Schmo riding when the failure occurred, is open to interpretatIon. Supposedly,MVDPs father said the bike had clipped a cars wing mirror the day before, wether it was MVDPs strength, weight on the cobbles we’ll never be sure, but this is really bad for Canyon on top of the existing seatpost problem with this new model.
    Real World persona : Andy Corso

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Peak Torque, an engineer and cyclist w a youtube channel, has an informative review of potential issues with shifter clamp designs including the new Canyon clamp that can lead to failures as well as one on the Canyon seat post design flaw.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Absolute nightmare for marketing.
    -Dustin

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dashDustin View Post
    Absolute nightmare for marketing.
    Definitely. MVdP isn't just some guy. He's one of the more high profile riders around and this was on TV. Bad stuff for Canyon and propriety components.
    La Cheeserie!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by corko View Post
    So apparently where the shifter mounts, the bars are not circular in section they are somewhat of a square shape, which means a proprietary clamp has to be used, this clamp, consists of a couple of additional hinges. Why this is so, you’d have to ask Canyon’s design engineers but it does seem that either the design is flawed...
    Quote Originally Posted by one60 View Post
    Peak Torque, an engineer and cyclist w a youtube channel, has an informative review of potential issues with shifter clamp designs including the new Canyon clamp that can lead to failures as well as one on the Canyon seat post design flaw.
    Avoid this design like the plague! Or like we used to avoid plagues.

A round clamp on a round section is like a mechanical fuse that will respond to overload by slipping. Great design for something that hangs way out there and is certain to take abuse in a crash. Having the brake levers turn slightly after dumping the bike has always been a relatively common (and totally benign) occurrence for me. Replace that fuse with an actual mechanical connection and that overload now becomes torsional stress on the bars. Flawed design imho, atmo, ipso fatso.

Keep bars round, steerers too, and stems (w/ clamps on both ends) and seatposts (where they go into the frame).

Revise and resubmit, Canyon.
    Last edited by thollandpe; 03-05-2021 at 10:45 AM.
    Trod Harland, Physical Educator

Not everything that is faced can be changed, but nothing can be changed until it is faced. — James Baldwin

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by thollandpe View Post

A round clamp on a round section is like a mechanical fuse that will respond to overload by slipping. Great design for something that hangs way out there and is certain to take abuse in a crash. Having the brake levers turn slightly after dumping the bike has always been a relatively common (and totally benign) occurrence for me. Replace that fuse with an actual mechanical connection and that overload now becomes torsional stress on the bars. Flawed design imho, atmo, ipso fatso.

Keep bars round, steerers too, and stems (w/ clamps on both ends) and seatposts (where they go into the frame).

3T Rotundo to the rescue!
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by thollandpe View Post

We got a new milling head for one of our CNCs that showed up broken in the crate. The transition between the motor and gearbox was made of cast aluminum. I get using aluminum to save weight and inertia, but that was a poor choice. Now one has snapped while running and the manufacturer is giving us all a shoulder shrug. I have an upgraded assembly on the way, the first thing I'm doing is to remove that aluminum part and have a copy made in steel. It's like the engineers are complacent or not utilized. I want to be a history teacher.
    Weight Doper

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bigbill View Post
    It's like the engineers are complacent or not utilized.
    Agreed. Also nonexistent. I think a lot of the "engineering" in the bicycle industry is done by people who are not engineers. I'd also like to know what the relative size is for marketing and engineering for some of these companies.
    Trod Harland, Physical Educator

Not everything that is faced can be changed, but nothing can be changed until it is faced. — James Baldwin

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Or bicycle riders. Everybody's whacked their levers and then whacked them back in line. No way I'd design something rigid in a place like that if I ever rode a bike.
    Tom Ambros

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Porter View Post
    That's almost as crazy as a crank busting in two in the middle of a ride. . . .

Doh! Hey, I stayed up ;)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Doh! Hey, I stayed up ;)
    It truly was a masterful recovery. Not joking.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hambini is going to have fun with this one.
    Will Neide (pronounced Nighty, like the thing worn to bed)

Webpage : : Flickr : : Tumblr : : Facebook
    Instagram: wilco_cycleworks

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I once suffered a broken carbon handlebar while training for cyclocross.

1. this is scary
    2. we say carbon things explose or snap but the nature of a fiber based thingy make that you can still feel it softening up and losing fiber after fiber, albeit really really quickly.
    3. it is incredible how something simple like a bar tape can save your ass, or rather your fingers/collarbone/face living you enough support to just not crash and grab another part of the bar before it is too late
    --
    T h o m a s

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sk_tle View Post
    I once suffered a broken carbon handlebar while training for cyclocross.

1. this is scary
    2. we say carbon things explose or snap but the nature of a fiber based thingy make that you can still feel it softening up and losing fiber after fiber, albeit really really quickly.
    3. it is incredible how something simple like a bar tape can save your ass, or rather your fingers/collarbone/face living you enough support to just not crash and grab another part of the bar before it is too late
    I had a Cinelli X/A stem break once, like 25 years ago. Yeah, it's scary and I was lucky I didn't crash. Pedals, seats, seat posts, stems - These are the most important parts of your bike and not places to take risks with design.
    La Cheeserie!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast