Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Campy grease

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Campy grease

Back in the day Campy made available in various sized containers the wonderful grease that they bathed their bearing assemblies in. This is the stuff that I used when I overhauled my Super Record group back in the early eighty's. There were a few things that were remarkable about this grease. The first was the sweet, creamy, industrial scent that overwhelmed the sences when you un-screwed the cover on the tub. It was wonderful and put you in the mood to get on with the task of ripping the machine apart. The second was the almost edible consistancy of the grease itself. It was creamy white and always had a bit of oil floating at the top of the tub that had seperated from the pudding. A swirl of the index finger got everything back in order. Finally, after a repack with this stuff, that same creamy, smooth sensation could be felt when an axel was rotated back and forth between the index finger and thumb. Once the overhaul was complete, it was a very visceral and satisfying feeling to know that nothing would stand in the way of a good ride except for bad legs.

This brings me to ask two questions:
    1. Why did Campy discontinue making this product available?
    2. Is there anything currently on the market that is its equal?

By the way, I still have a small Campy grease container that has long since been emptied of its contents. I've filled it with Shimano day-glo grease which is what I currently use. It's not the same shit.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by WFSTEKL; 01-08-2009 at 10:56 AM. Reason: picture added

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Fond memories of that great smell bro.
    You can, sad as it is, do better. Phil Wood green grease has no equal for bearings and general use. Also, I've grown quite fond of the greases / lubes and heck the entire product line from Rock n' Roll.
    http://www.rocklube.com/
    Check out the superweb for bearings it is very very promising stuff if you want to try something other than Phil Wood...which is bloodyperfect.

*DO get yourself a drop bottle of cable magic. One of my fav. bicycle products evah.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Does Phil come in white? ; )

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

the stuff was awful.

the separation would continue in use and if you waited long enough you would be left with nothing but a chalky paste and pitted bearings and races.

i repack all my loose bearing campy stuff with phil asap.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by twowheels View Post
    the stuff was awful.

the separation would continue in use and if you waited long enough you would be left with nothing but a chalky paste and pitted bearings and races.

hater ;)
    WFSTEKL just open your jar of Campy for the aroma and use the Phil. For general greasy stuff like QR threads etc. I use white lithium grease from the local auto parts store....you know the stuff that's sold in a can. Just cut a hole in the top and stick a small paint brush thru. and you got yourself a genu-whine hillbilly grease dispenser ;)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by twowheels View Post
    the stuff was awful.

I never had that result. However, I overhauled the BB, hubs, headset about four times a year, and the pedals about twice a year. That was in the day of one machine and one set of wheels.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

seriously, any grease made for motorised applications in the thousands of RPM's will hold up to bike use.......the blue stuff for boat axles is REALLY waterproof. that said, i have a big tub of phil on the bench with "put lid back on!" written on it.....also, that super toxic smelling shimano stuff is awful......steve.
    Steve Garro, Coconino Cycles.
    Frames & Bicycles built to measure and Custom wheels
    Hecho en Flagstaff, Arizona desde 2003
    www.coconinocycles.com
    www.coconinocycles.blogspot.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think the older campy grease was simply repackaged white lithium grease. And, as twowheels points out, it tends to get chalky and crumbly with age. Wonder what campy is using these days: it is still whiteish but more translucent. I happen to like the dayglow Shimano stuff or Phil, but regular maintenance is more important than the exact type of grease.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Ah, that smell!

The stuff was pretty expensive since it said Campagnolo on the jar. There was a much cheaper way to get the same stuff though. When there used to be Fiat dealers around, you could get a five pound jar from their parts departments for about ten bucks. Same stuff. Didn't store very well, useless against water or dirt. But ooh, that smell!
    Tom Kellogg
    Rides bikes, makes 'em too.
    Spectrum-Cycles.com
    Butted Ti Road, Reynolds UL, Di2, QuarQ, Conour lite, SP Zero
    Steel Cross, X-7, Crank Bros, Concour Lite, Nemesis, Grifo
    Steel Piste, D-A Piste, PD-7400, Concour lite, Zipp 404
    http://kapelmuurindependent.be

Shortest TFC Member (5'6 3/4") & shrinking

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

somebody once told me the old Campy grease was lanolin-based and meant to be used in bearings that were frequently repacked as on a race bike. I have no idea if that's true.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hah, I'm looking at my 80's vintage 500g white plastic box that used to hold campy grease as I type. Now it holds pencils. Only Campy would make a squarish grease container that was white... style man.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Campy grease only real redeeming part was the smell. The grease needed to be in constant motion to be of any use if it sat for more then a day the oils would run out. Great for hubs that would be speed up with a bit of oil injection and fine for thread prep beyond that not much use. There are a plethora of modern greases that work far better and some that will actually reduce stiction. Pedro's makes two fine greases, slick honey, finish line ( white) I never like Phil too much as the grease seemed to plastic. If you really want come cool grease hit the local bearing shop and ask them.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I still have a large tub of Campy grease - I now use it to grease threads for assembly, but don't use it as a primary grease for bearings any more. The stuff does have a distinctive smell - one of those immediate olfactory experiences that produces a wave of associations whenever I unscrew the top.

I had an almost 15 years hiatus from cycling after my retirement from racing in the early 80s, and it's fun to have re-discovered my passion for it in the last 5 years. My old Campy tools and that tub of grease, as well as my Gios, are the only remnants from that era in my cycling accoutrements - everything else has been updated, but they still carry a certain panache for me along the lines of their abilities to evoke memories of old.

Check out Belgian Knee Warmers latest piece on his tools of old, BTW.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by steve garro View Post
    the blue stuff for boat axles is REALLY waterproof
    That's the direction my LBS mechanic pointed me in. Great for assembly, but when I use it on hub bearings it's a noticeable difference from Phil grease, at least to my fingers. Serious goo.

Phil grease is still my happy smell.
    Dan Fuller, local bicycle enthusiast