Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Campagnolo pro fit pedals

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Campagnolo pro fit pedals

Campag pedals .......Any lovers on here? any naysayers?

I have used Shimano, Mavic and Look and am in the market for some new pedals and whilst pondering what's out there I realized that I know of no one that used Campag and wonder why..... I know they are expensive and relatively heavy but what I have heard about them is that they're robust and enjoy good longevity. On the flipside the design is quite long in the tooth and Campag seem to have given up developing anything new in the Pedal dept.(Any industry insights?)

So should I just give up the idea and just get another pair of Dura-Ace that have worked well for me in the past?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

hey, the beauty is... you may be the first person this millenium to buy a pr.
    you might get a call from valentino thanking you.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I used them for the past 5 or 6 years on two different bikes. They were great pedals and always did their job but as both pairs aged they started making creaking noises from between the cleat and pedal. New cleats would solve the noise for a few hundred kms then it would return. Cleaning the cleat and pedal would help for a few km but again the noise would return. I tried all the usual fixes but nothing worked and I finally gave up and put Speedplays on both bikes.

In retrospect I think the Speedplays are better pedals anyway - less roll laterally, fully adjustable, and the interface feels a lot bigger than it looks.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I also tried speedplay(Zero) but didn't get on with them, hated the metal cleets, the maintenance and after a couple of slips whilst walking I became paranoid and I never got the clipping down pat.

hmmm .... maybe DA seems the best bet.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

use em and luv em .....

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I use them. I have at least 20,000 miles on mine, which I acquired used when I bought my first road bike off ebay. The finish is gone but they still work great, with zero maintenance over the years. Trying to decide now whether to invest in a second pair for when I get a second bike or switch to something else altogether.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've had my set since 2000.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I rode a set for a few months several years ago. Didn't like 'em. Seemed like the worst aspects of Speedplay (small platform, REALLY slippery float) without the benefit (lots of RANGE to the float). They could also be really finicky to clip into and out of at times. I ended up liking both old style Looks and mtb SPDs better because they let your foot move back and forth, but there's enough friction to leave it in a position you like until you decide to reposition it again. If the Campy's have changed, maybe I'm comparing an old pedal that doesn't exist anymore, but I didn't like 'em when I tried 'em.

-Ray

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have used the pro-fit for the last 3 years or so. Yes they are heavy and uncommon. But they are super robust, the bearings are smooth and they just work. The cleats wear out a bit quick but that doesn't bother. Most importantly, I have never had an unplanned unclipping. I have seen too many people come flying out of their pedals during sprints to trust some superlightweight pedals... but thats just me.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Like ergott, I've had by pair of Campy pedals (Chorus, in my case). They've been on a couple of bikes, and have seen thousands of miles. I've replaced the cleats numerous times, but have never touched the pedals, which are still smooth. On a couple of occasions, I've thought about switching to something swankier, but the pedals have continued to work well, so I never go through with the switch.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Why has Campag let the design stagnate? can't be bettered?(not true) 11-speed consumed all the design resources?(wouldn't have thought so).... economics/competition? ....just can't be arsed to come up with something different?

seems strange to me?

anyhow, I think I shall take the plunge

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That's an interesting question, updating them seems to be a very low priority for them.

I would echo what itspeedmore said- they are (arguably) heavy, beautifully made and I've never had the slightest issue with them- including unplanned unclipping. I've used them since '03 and would buy another pair as I don't give a sh!t what my bike weighs...
    "In the old days when people invented a new function they had something useful in mind."

~Henri Poincare

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Pedals, seatposts, and hubs are all a little dated. Nothing wrong with any of it, but it doesn't market very well.

I bet if there were an "11 speed" version of the Pro-Fit pedals that used some carbon and was 50 grams lighter they'd fly off the shelves.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Time, baby time.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post
    Pedals, seatposts, and hubs are all a little dated. Nothing wrong with any of it, but it doesn't market very well.

I bet if there were an "11 speed" version of the Pro-Fit pedals that used some carbon and was 50 grams lighter they'd fly off the shelves.
    It would probably cost north of $500 though.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

All my roadbikes are standardized on Campagnolo Pro-Fit pedals. They have proven reliable and durable.
    My wish is that they would explore making clip-in access a bit easier when pulling away from a stop.
    They look good and work well, yet they sure ain't as easy as my mountainbike Shimano XTR's, that is for sure.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have over 20K miles each on two different bikes. Never a problem with either pair. I do remember some years ago, Erik Zabel had a problem in a finish back in the T-Mobile days. He unclipped during some sprint finish. They blamed it on dirt from a fall earlier in the race. Of course, he was probably applying more power at that finish than I've applied collectively over the last five years.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My only issue with the campy pedals is the rather large stack height.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've got a set that were used when I got them from my cousin. I've ridden them hard for about a year now. They do squeek a little, but not that bad and not that often. They do spin exceptionally well. I still plan to switch to some Ultegra pedals soon as I now have two bikes and it is almost more cost effective to buy two sets of Ultegras opposed to one set of Chorus. I can't even find another set of Centaurs. Aside from their obscurity they seem fine.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

campy makes great stuff. but those pedals are not among that group. i'd stick to their gruppos, wheels and sick magnesium rims for your 82 maserati.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast