Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Campagnolo compliant pedals

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Campagnolo compliant pedals

Thank you for this info. They seem to function like the old Mavic 646 pedals.

I guess I'm spooked by the plethora of axle lengths offered in lieu of simply making a cleat with more lateral adjustment. Seems a bummer to receive an axle length that doesn't work. Are the standard Keywin length 55mm about in line with standard Shimano axle length? How does an old man lift himself from the floor when slipping on those cleats?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Appleton WI -- home of Harry Houdini and Rocky Bleier
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm probably one of the few who has gone SPD-SL to Look-compatible. Was a Speedplay guy for a long time, and actually felt my knee issues were exacerbated by the free float and rocking as the bodies wore. Moved to SPD-SL and they worked well; decided to go to a dual-sided pedal-based PM and Assioma came up very favorably in my research. I was a bit apprehensive about going to the Look Keo-based cleat (actually Xpedo bodies/cleats with Assioma internals) but I'm liking them just fine and have no regrets.

As a Campy guy I'm happy to have Italian-branded pedals:)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by WFSTEKL View Post
    Thank you for this info. They seem to function like the old Mavic 646 pedals.

I guess I'm spooked by the plethora of axle lengths offered in lieu of simply making a cleat with more lateral adjustment. Seems a bummer to receive an axle length that doesn't work. Are the standard Keywin length 55mm about in line with standard Shimano axle length? How does an old man lift himself from the floor when slipping on those cleats?
    The Keywin standard length axles are the 52mm. 55mm is the +3mm option.

The lack of much lateral adjustment in the cleat is a bit frustrating but if the pedals work for you functionally, it's worth the time to nail down the length you need. The axles are relatively cheap and take all of 30 seconds to swap in and out.

Fyi - Shimano spd-sl standard axle lengths are 52mm for DA and 53mm for Ultegra and below. The +4mm option for each adds to that.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My knee loved the switch from Look to Time and I never looked back. Cleats could be a tad more durable but the xpresso works really well.

Additionnaly I'm not sure what other people are using but when the traffic lights go green I see a lot of people struggling to clip at the first pedal stroke while I don't have any problem. So are they superior to look, shimano, spd, whatever or are people just that useless ? I have no idea, I don't think I am particularly a genius.
    Last edited by sk_tle; 01-21-2020 at 05:07 PM.
    --
    T h o m a s

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

When moving from Look to SPD-SL I believe there is a learning curve. The Shimano pedals feel differently to me. Maybe it is the lateral float of a few millimeters, or the rotation at the center of the cleat on the yellow cleat, or the minimal 2 degrees of rotation and pivot center on the front with the blue cleat, but it is not a seamless move from one pedal system to another in this case. With Shimano I always feel conscious of my foot placement on the pedal. I never felt that way with Look, or Speedplay.

For me, an ideal pedal would have the free rotation of Speedplay, and the surface area of SDP-SL.

Now somebody let the dog out.
    Thanks for making me feel NOT like the princess & pea of this thread. :-)

Really, after years of using Look pedals because: France & La Vie Claire, I switched to Shimano and I completely forgot about the French.
    Last edited by j44ke; 01-21-2020 at 05:32 PM.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by j44ke View Post
    Thanks for making me feel NOT like the princess & pea of this thread. :-)

Really, after years of using Look pedals because: France & La Vie Claire, I switched to Shimano and I completely forgot about the French.
    I have some words of wisdom for you, Jorn; don't get old.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I don't know what's the matter with me, but I've tried 3 times to go to the Shimano spd-sl and my knees just weren't happy. I'm going to give one last attempt this winter, as I still have the pedals from last year's try, but if it's still a no-go, I'm going to stick with my Time, which I've had for the last decade and a half. First on the venerable RXS and now on the last generation of iclic called xpresso. if the spd experiment fails again, I'm going to order the latest generation-xpro- that claims some aero benefit but is basically the same as the expressos but with a fairing to cover the carbon leaf spring (same cleat). benefits are the float (and I really don't feel the re-centering as a negative, au contraire) and pretty light weight; low stack as well. their method of toying with q-factor isn't ideal but sorta works--you can't really move the cleats laterally under the shoe but the cleats are asymetrical and flipping sides changes Q by a tiny but noticeable bit. My last pair are a few years old so with wear the instant bear trap of the iclic doesn't always work anymore but they still clip in quite easily. when new they just pop tight as soon as you put any pressure. I highly recommend them. Cleats definitely don't wear as well as the Shimano, but they are not too bad and--unlike speedplay--are actually pretty cheap. they also came out with a zero float version last year, but I haven't tried them, the original point of Time being the natural float which they basically invented. the xpresso models are still available at the lower price points if you want to try them out and as mentioned cleats are compatible with the new higher end xpro

Road Cycling Pedals
    – Tagged "Road Pedals"
    | TIME SPORT

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Screen Shot 2020-01-22 at 10.24.26 AM.jpg
    source: Bike Radar 1999

fwiw UAE is running Look Blades:

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't think world tour statistics is worth a thing.
    --
    T h o m a s

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sk_tle View Post
    I don't think world tour statistics is worth a thing.
    They tell you how much cash is spent by which companies!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Another satisfied Look Keo Max user; multiple bikes, one set with > 30,000 miles and 3 of 4 on Campag equipped bikes. Thought about the Blades several times, but they seem to have some issues with long-term reliability. I suppose I would put them on a race bike to save a few grams / gain aero but that ship has sailed for me. And, as you have pointed out, the Blade aesthetics also don't work well with 'traditional' frames. I'm a grey cleat guy with my position well-dialed and no knee issues. No experience with Shimano road but dedicated XT SPD user for Cx and MTB.
    Lou D'Amelio
    Bucks County PA

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I can’t look at Look as a serious option ever again - every set I had over the years squeaked.

I pronate (roll my foot to the outside) quite heavily so the freedom of Speedplays exacerbates that and results in pronation on the bike, which isn’t good - especially for expensive shoes.

I like the idea of trying Time again, but I had a set way back when and they gave me hotspots in the ball of my foot; plus they went through a spell of snapping.

I’m another SPD-SL on Campag fan; and we all know what a tart I’ve been over the years. It’s nowhere near as bad as running Campag wheels on an otherwise non-Campag bike (sorry Matt).

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So many limitations....

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sk_tle View Post
    Additionnaly I'm not sure what other people are using but when the traffic lights go green I see a lot of people struggling to clip at the first pedal stroke while I don't have any problem. So are they superior to look, shimano, spd, whatever or are people just that useless ? I have no idea, I don't think I am particularly a genius.
    I can clip in easily at a start of a ride. Can't clip as easily in traffic. I don't think it's physical, but mental: the stress induced by the traffic behind me, and the need to get moving before they loose patience.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There is a smattering of speedplay usage on the tour eg. Alex Dowsett, Adam Hansen....
    Real World persona : Andy Corso

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I have a set of Campy SGR pedals out in the garage. I keep a sock next to them in case there's ever a riot. They'd make a great weapon.
    Weight Doper

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ldamelio View Post
    And, as you have pointed out, the Blade aesthetics also don't work well with 'traditional' frames.
    Hard to see the pedals in this, but feel free to follow the link and zoom in, it's the only photo I have convenient:

I think the aesthetics are fine, but it all depends on what you are matching. In fact, the 3k carbon weave on the "blade" ties in nicely with the brake levers on the 2011 Athena, and the Arundel cages. I'm missing the PMP seat post, but then that would be 4 hits of carbon weave, and design principles favor things in 3s. So I'll save my cash.

I also think the little yellow stripe on the blade also conveniently ties into the bits yellow on the top and seat tube. Thankfully the yellow 12Nm blades work for me, otherwise I'd have to paint my frame.

Also, the pedals work. I had a squeaky pair of Key Classics before this, the blades don't seem to have that problem. I count myself lucky on that front.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

three bikes - all with campagnolo and all with spd-sl pedals. they just work! (for me...)

if you're that fussed, just sand off the shimano logos. ��

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've pissed into a windstorm, and have a pair of xpro 10s en route. We'll see how that goes. Don't make me eat foie gras.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've pissed into a windstorm, and have a pair of xpro 10s en route. We'll see how that goes. Don't make me eat foie gras.
    I had good luck with RXS. Less so with (early) Expresso pedals. I cracked one of the carbon bodies in under 1000mi. I went back to RXS pedals and cleats, which were excellent.

Once my RXS pedals got crunchy and the plastic/carbon-fiber bodies worn enough that I could pull out of them, I bought a test set of SPD-sl. It has been mixed.

The SPD-sl pedals and cleats are ubiquitous. The bearings are excellent in the DA model, anyway. They look nice. The cleats do not creak like Looks, but they don't last as long as the rxs cleat. The clip-in motion and effort is different/harder to get right. They have enough float (2deg), and the cleat adjustment is ample, but they hold my shoes differently, and my knees hadn't fully adapted before I switched to SPD and walkable shoes for the winter.

I had made a similar forced march a few years ago when the Time ATAC design was updated, my old ones had finally worn out and I updated the fleet. Then I broke two of the stamped/squared-off bails on back-to-back rides. (Two lefts, so two pair out of commission).

Life is too short to be Time's beta tester. I live with the mud/snow clogging and the steel SPD cleats instead. They work.

Best Regards,

Will
    William M deRosset
    Fort Collins CO USA

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast