Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Calluses/corns and what to do about them

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Calluses/corns and what to do about them

I've had calluses or corns on my feet for ages but I've noticed that some of them have been growing quite a bit over this last two month stay-at-home period. Specifically, I have hard, thick calluses developing on the top of the distal joint of my big toes. They're getting to the point that my girlfriend noticed them, "what is going on with your toes?" and one of the calluses cracked.

I've got other calluses, but those two in particular seem to be changing.

I'm guessing that now that my cycling has transitioned over to the trainer (I'm riding outside 3 days/mo, I'd guess) I've got a lot more repetitive motion inside my shoes.

Shoes are Sidi. I'm guilty of liking my shoes pretty tight. Between low-volume feet and my preference for a snug fit, I'm usually on or very near the end of the ratchet on my shoes.

So, is this a problem? What's the resolution? Are calluses indicative of a larger problem?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Calluses/corns and what to do about them

I've suffered with a callus on the outer ball of my left foot for decades. If let go it will get very painful, especially since it developed a fissure down the middle of it several years ago.

My original solution was just to use course emery paper to keep it sanded down every few weeks. Then I found the "Microplane Colossal Foot File". That thing is incredible and makes quick work of removing the excess callus material. In fact, I just used it last night trim it down.

You can also use a Urea cream or Ammonium Lactate 12% cream (prescription) to soften the callus material up but it it will quickly harden back up unless you put it on once or twice a day. If you do go the Microplane route be careful and don't get too aggressive with it to start. It works so well you can go too deep fast if you aren't careful. I've never seen a doctor about it so I don't know if there is a way to get rid of it for good but I suspect not.

Microplane Colossal Foot File
    Last edited by NotFadeAway; 2 Weeks Ago at 12:13 PM. Reason: Typo

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I had a nasty problem similar to yours earlier this year. Mileage and intensity is up over the past few years, I am in my early 40's and I discovered that my feet have "broken down" and have grown almost a full size. My shoes were too small for me now. I went with wider shoes and that helped alleviate the problem a little bit but it didn't solve the biggest issue. I was putting too much pressure on the outside of my foot when pedaling and a pair of wedges under my Speedplay cleats solved the problem completely. I was suffering for a few months trying to figure it out and I got frustrated. Once I wedged the cleats, the pain was gone in a few rides.

As for the calluses, I went to Walgreens and got the callus removing pads with 40% salicylic(sp?) acid and left them on for the prescribed 48 hours. When I took the pads off, the thick callus came right off. If calluses keep coming back, something is wrong with fit or motion.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by houston View Post
    If calluses keep coming back, something is wrong with fit or motion.
    This is what I am most concerned about, the calluses being indicative of a larger problem. I wonder if some larger and roomier shoes might be a fix... but then I'd probably end up ratcheting them down a bunch.

Thankfully there's no pain during riding or at all (cracking episode excepted) and I'd like to keep it that way.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My calluses have never been painful but they can get pretty crazy. I have been using my cordless Dremel for about 10 years to sand them down. It works great. I really prefer doing it when my feet are dry. Doing it with wet/soft calluses always leaves them rougher. This is for any kind of filing or sanding.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I believe that a foot callous is a result of a poorly fitting footwear or your foot not having the right support in places where it's needed. Yes, they're two sides of the same coin. What I learned about my callouses is that they are caused by excess friction / pressure on certain areas resulting from my feet trying to compensate for insufficient arch support. The shoe doesn't provide enough support on the inside so the foot tries to compensate by trying to lift / tilt the foot outwards so that it can be at the right angle, be in line with the rest of the leg.

So, yes, it may be a sign of a larger problem. Probably worth a consultation with a podiatrist.
    Chikashi Miyamoto