User Tag List

Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Building up a Track bike and Cross bike (long post but thanks in advance)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Building up a Track bike and Cross bike (long post but thanks in advance)

I have a 1984 Trek 760 which is a beautiful frame that I don't use anymore because it's a backup road frame. I feel stupid doing that since it's such a nice frame.

I want to try my hand at track riding, and I want to ride a SS/FG in the winter for base miles. In addition, my little sister's birthday is coming up and my mom wants to get her a bike. Since money is tight right now (mom's work downsized and her work week was cut to 4 days, we're thankful since she could have been offed), I want to help out my parents and give them my mountain bike so my mom and sister can ride together without having to spend too much money.
    Besides, I don't really like riding MTB yet, and if I like it I'll save up for a better bike.

With all the backstory out of the way, I want to do the following:

a) Convert the Trek to a track bike
    b) keep the parts from the trek to build up a cross bike in the fall if I try it and like it.

The trek has a mismash of campy parts on it. It has 126mm spacing.
    Current part list:

Centaur shifters
    Veloce FD/RD.
    Centaur compact crank (172.5 50/34)

Question 1: Can I use the centaur crank for a cross bike? The shifting is fine thanks to the campy 'clicks' and I know it won't be optimal, but worth a shot? Or should I just try to trade the chainrings for a 48 ring and make a 1x10 setup?

The track bike will also be a daily rider/commuting bike, I'm going to have brakes on it (take out cables for races).

Question 2: I'm looking for a low budget track wheelset new or used, and I've found a few in the 100-200 dollar range. I weigh 150 so I'm not too worried since they're heavy and 32-36 spoke front/rear.
    I'm wondering what I'll have to do to get the 120mm spaced hub to work with my 126mm dropout. I don't want to cold set it since I want the option of being able to covert it back to road bike in the future.

Question 3: Does anyone know of any decent budget track cranks, or would i be better off with bmx-ish cranks?

That's all I got for now. Thanks for helping out a noob.

Sorry for the long post, but it's a slow day at work. Heh.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ridethecliche View Post
    I want to try my hand at track riding
    Lots of tracks will rent bikes. They usually teach classes, too.

I'd start with a lesson and a rented bike if I wanted to dabble in track racing rather than sinking time and money into something I wasn't sure about. Just my two cents. I know it's not an answer to any of your specific questions.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post
    Lots of tracks will rent bikes. They usually teach classes, too.

I'd start with a lesson and a rented bike if I wanted to dabble in track racing rather than sinking time and money into something I wasn't sure about. Just my two cents. I know it's not an answer to any of your specific questions.
    I race crits and will start riding more road races this fall. Going for the 3 upgrade after getting halfway there in 4 days of racing.

As for cross and track:

I'll try the borrowed bike approach for cross, but if I build a bike, I'll ride my cross bike for mountain rides my friends do. If I don't like racing cross, I'll do it as a necessary evil for improving fitness and bike handling. I think I'll love it though. It has everything to do with beer, and I like beer ;)

As for the track bike, I'll use the bike in the winter for base miles even if I don't race on the track much. If I don't like racing on the track, again, I'll do it as a necessary evil for training. I'm a sprinter, and I think training on the track will REALLY help with positioning coming into the finish.

I really appreciate your input though :)

I'm thinking of taking 2 years off from schooling after graduation to work enough to break even, and race my bike. I want to get a little heads up on the competition since this is my first season racing and training seriously.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

a 120 spaced wheel will be fine in a 126 spaced frame without any modifications/cold setting/jibba jabba.

There are many options for cheap track cranks. Just depends what you're willing to spend and aesthetics. Personally, I'd opt for something period to match to your pretty steel bike, so I'd suggest you consider a 144bcd double from ebay. Heck, you might even be able to convert the current crankset on the Trek to a single ring, though the crank length could prove too long.
    coils of the serpent unwind

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bbillington View Post
    a 120 spaced wheel will be fine in a 126 spaced frame without any modifications/cold setting/jibba jabba.

There are many options for cheap track cranks. Just depends what you're willing to spend and aesthetics. Personally, I'd opt for something period to match to your pretty steel bike, so I'd suggest you consider a 144bcd double from ebay. Heck, you might even be able to convert the current crankset on the Trek to a single ring, though the crank length could prove too long.
    Crank will be wayy too long. I've been thinking about 160 vs the 172.5 I normally run. In addition, I was thinking of running the 50/34 on the cross bike or just selling the rings and getting a 48 ring. Or returning the cranks (performancebike bought) and just getting a 1x10 setup on the cross bike.

As for period correct, unfortunately I can't really afford to go that route.

I'm glad that any wheelset will work.

I sold off all the suntour superbe stuff that came on the bike to pay for the campy stuff. It was beautiful, but I'm 20 and felt the parts belonged to someone who had lusted for them in days of their youth. As nice as they are, I had no attachment to them...

I will say that the cranks were really really light and pretty. Those were nice freaking cranks.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

if you can turn a 48t single for cross you should win the worlds, seriously most pros run 46t big rings. I would keep the centuars and run 34-44 or 46 or go to a 40 or 42 single ring. The more important question is do you have room for cross tires, you want at least 30s with some space. If its a 27" frame you can fit them with long reach calipers or is its a 700 with cantis you should be ok. If its 700 with short reach brakes it will not work

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ridethecliche View Post
    As for period correct, unfortunately I can't really afford to go that route.

I sold off all the suntour superbe stuff that came on the bike to pay for the campy stuff. It was beautiful, but I'm 20 and felt the parts belonged to someone who had lusted for them in days of their youth. As nice as they are, I had no attachment to them...

I will say that the cranks were really really light and pretty. Those were nice freaking cranks.
    watch ebay for an old road double that you can convert. A quick ebay search turned these up and they would look a LOT better than the cheap track cranks out there like the Origin8s.

http://cgi.ebay.com/SR-Royal-vintage...#ht_500wt_1125

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sailor View Post
    if you can turn a 48t single for cross you should win the worlds, seriously most pros run 46t big rings. I would keep the centuars and run 34-44 or 46 or go to a 40 or 42 single ring. The more important question is do you have room for cross tires, you want at least 30s with some space. If its a 27" frame you can fit them with long reach calipers or is its a 700 with cantis you should be ok. If its 700 with short reach brakes it will not work
    I'll be buying a cross frameset. I'm not using the trek for cross!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

watch ebay for an old road double that you can convert. A quick ebay search turned these up and they would look a LOT better than the cheap track cranks out there like the Origin8s.

http://cgi.ebay.com/SR-Royal-vintage...#ht_500wt_1125
    The origin's don't look so bad, haha.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Get a Surley Steamroller and do some of the flatter NE races single speed. Or, as everyone has suggested, rent the track bike at Londonderry for $5 (I assume that's your destination).

p.s. Life has everything to do with beer. Cross has everything to do with pain.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 92degrees View Post
    Get a Surley Steamroller and do some of the flatter NE races single speed. Or, as everyone has suggested, rent the track bike at Londonderry for $5 (I assume that's your destination).

p.s. Life has everything to do with beer. Cross has everything to do with pain.
    I'd like to be able to potentially train on the cross bike through the winter.

I've found a few decent cross framesets in the 250-300 range online. Let me see what the sponsor shop can do for a frameset.

On the cross has everything to do with pain comment:
    Good, then it'll be good for me. My threshold for pain is lacking. I'll probably do much better in hard crits and road races after a season of cross in my legs.

Question: Are isis cranks a terrible idea?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

what size frame do you ride? I have a bunch of cross frames collecting dust right now and would let them go for cheap + you'd be on a better frame than the bargain bin stuff...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

what size frame do you ride? I have a bunch of cross frames collecting dust right now and would let them go for cheap + you'd be on a better frame than the bargain bin stuff...
    That might work spectacularly!

I ride a 56cm CAAD9 with a 100mm stem.

I'm guessing that I should stick to a 56cm frame for cross, though I suppose a 54 frame might work as well.

Please PM me with what you might have around and I'll see what I can do. If not over the summer, I'll definitely have some more funds in the fall when I'm working during the school year.

Thanks a ton for the thought!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I just realized that I had a spare crankset sitting around.

It's a 105 crankset with the outboard BB's. It's a 53/39.

I already have a 50/34 centaur compact on the trek.

Am I better off leaving the 50 ring on the trek and using that with a 16 or 17T cog for a track bike, or should I put the compact on the cross bike to be, and use the 105 set on the trek.

Edit: Both these cranksets are 172.5, I suppose that makes them too long for the track right?

Damn...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Would it be a terrible idea to even run a fixed gear setup on forward facing dropouts or will using a bolt on axle instead of quick release make it 'okay'.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

it's fine. You just need enough room to adjust chain tension, which you'll have plenty of with the trek.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The bolt on rear wheel on the Trek will work fine for riding on the street but I have been told by the local velodrome association (Marymore) that a bike needs to have rear facing dropouts if you want to race. Your local velodrome may be different but I would check.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you must use the 105 crank, look into a non-profiled single speed ring.

The ramps and such on the thinner road ring can "assist" your chain off the chainring, especially if you're applying back pressure on the pedal or you get the crank spinning a little bit faster than you can maintain.

This also allows you to use cheaper and stronger 3/32 chains. I don't think there are any cheaper options for 1/8 in a 130 BCD, but if you find any please post them.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you plan on racing in NH, it should be ok with forward facing. Kissena will not be ok.

And rocket rings are cheap 1/8th rings in 130. Z chain for the win. Drivetrain for 45$
    I write for daily serving

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The SRAM PC-1 is worth double the price ($11 versus $6) over the ZChain. Most tracks won't let you on the track with horizontal dropouts, fyi. Every track I have ever ridden requires vertical or track ends.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast