Thread: Brake pads

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Brake pads

Hi to everyone,
    This seems like an easy question, but perhaps it's not. I think pretty much everyone agree that the best brake pads available in the market right now are the Swiss Stop BXP, probably followed by the Kool Stop salmons. According to that, a few years ago I installed the BXP pads in my bike and I was a happy fellow. That was when i was living in a rainy and moderately cold place with steep but very short slopes (usually not more than 100m elevation). But then I moved to a much hotter and dry place with long descents (600m elevation without stopping is quite common), steep slopes up to 17-19% and high temperatures during the summer, 30-35ºC easily. In those conditions, under relatively hard braking, the BXP sometimes can't cope with the heat. They start squeaking, pulsing a bit and then braking is reduced. On one descend i managed to glaze them by the heat, and that was a hairy moment. The descents here are quite curvy and don't allow big speeds (60-65km/h), but they need strong braking to trace the hairpin curves. I am an average descender, but at the same time I don't brake constantly and I think I have a decent technique.
    I am saying that because in less than a month I'll be in the Pyrenees, I'll climb and descend the Tourmalet and I am a bit worried about the big speeds I can get there (east side is almost straight from top to bottom).
    Does anyone experience this "heat behaviour" with BXP pads? Any suggestion of what pad can work almost as good as those, while keeping a better heat tolerance?
    Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Brake pads

I have no experience with SwissStop, so I can't comment on their products. When I did the Raid Pyrénéen, it was in mid-September, so it wasn't as warm as it would be in August, and since I was on carbon rims, I wasn't using pads relevant to this discussion. (Descending Tourmalet was so cold, we were shivering despite arm and leg warmers, plus insulating gilets or jackets.)

However, I have been to various bits of the French and Italian alps on alloy rims, and I had either the Kool Stop salmon or the salmon-black. No heat issues with either. On the occasion that I was using salmon-black, we encountered biblical weather conditions one day, and I did wish that I had the all salmon compound instead because the descents were absolutely hair-raising, with hands cramping to get the brakes to work in the torrential rain. You probably know that you're likely to encounter rain in the Pyrenees, so I would install a set of Kool Stop salmon.
    Chikashi Miyamoto

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We use the Kool Stop Dual Compound Dura2 pads on our tandem. We've had to panic stop for deer while descending double-digit grades, or stop at T-intersections at the bottom of double-digit grades. If they will handle that abuse, they should be more than adequate for a single bike on any descent.

GReg

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by nachetetm View Post
    Hi to everyone,
    This seems like an easy question, but perhaps it's not. I think pretty much everyone agree that the best brake pads available in the market right now are the Swiss Stop BXP, probably followed by the Kool Stop salmons. According to that, a few years ago I installed the BXP pads in my bike and I was a happy fellow. That was when i was living in a rainy and moderately cold place with steep but very short slopes (usually not more than 100m elevation). But then I moved to a much hotter and dry place with long descents (600m elevation without stopping is quite common), steep slopes up to 17-19% and high temperatures during the summer, 30-35ºC easily. In those conditions, under relatively hard braking, the BXP sometimes can't cope with the heat. They start squeaking, pulsing a bit and then braking is reduced. On one descend i managed to glaze them by the heat, and that was a hairy moment. The descents here are quite curvy and don't allow big speeds (60-65km/h), but they need strong braking to trace the hairpin curves. I am an average descender, but at the same time I don't brake constantly and I think I have a decent technique.
    I am saying that because in less than a month I'll be in the Pyrenees, I'll climb and descend the Tourmalet and I am a bit worried about the big speeds I can get there (east side is almost straight from top to bottom).
    Does anyone experience this "heat behaviour" with BXP pads? Any suggestion of what pad can work almost as good as those, while keeping a better heat tolerance?
    Thanks!
    Sorry but am I missing what rims are you using?
    Andrea "Gattonero" Cattolico, head mechanic @Condor Cycles London

"Caron, non ti crucciare:
    vuolsi così colà dove si puote
    ciò che si vuole, e più non dimandare"

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sorry, I wasn't sure if that was relevant. Kinlin XR22-T rims with Shimano BR-R650 calipers and Campagnolo Potenza levers.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I use SwissStop BXP on both standard machined alloy rims and also AForce AL33s with the Ceramic (PEO coated) rims. Excellent performance on both and I've not experienced the issue you described above. They do wear faster (especially the first set on the Ceramic PEOs) but no issues with heat. I've also used Kool Stops (Salmon and Dual compound) on machined alloy rims with good results. I live in central North Carolina where it gets HOT in the summer but my local descents are mostly short. I've ridden in the western half of the state with longer (300-600m) steep descents but less so. I'm also fairly light (75kg) and tend to brake hard/late which produces less heat than a heavy person who drags brakes.

You could try the SwissStop Black instead of BXP perhaps? These are issued as standard with SRAM Red brakes and are more of a warm/dry condition pad that may have better heat resistance as they are a harder compound. I've used these too and they're good but in wet conditions I prefer BXP or KS Salmons.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

is this the same pad that comes with the DT Oxic wheels? the pads that came with my Oxics like to glaze over, and....

the issues you describe sounds like the same issues Black Princes have - glazing over and causing squeals and weird feels.

regardless, on aluminum rims i stick with Shimano or SS black pads. have never liked Kool-Stop pads.
    -Dustin