Likes Likes:  0

Thread: bottom bracket woes...again.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default bottom bracket woes...again.

So I'm kind of fed up with the whole bottom bracket issue...I'm really hard on my stuff and I ride pretty much every day...rain or shine. My BB gets lots of abuse.

So I want to end my woes and go with a Phil Wood BB.

But I need a stupid stiff crank. My Rival/FSA hybrid is stiff enough, but it doesn't come in a square taper.

Oh, and I'd prefer black.

White Industries VBC?
    What else?

When are the CK bottom brackets for SRAM going to be released? Could I just buy a Shimano set and use the Hope shims to make the crank fit?

-dk

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What about the new King BB Cups ?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Justin can you hook a brutha up?

-dk

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Are you talking about a square taper PW BB? If you pair that with a nice DA square taper crank you'd be in fat city. It is not hard or expensive to find them.

My question for you is why bother? Stick with modern bits and you'll have less issues down the road. I'm a semi-reformed knuckle dragger myself ;)

FWIIW Wheelsmfg. puts together a VERY nice external BB that is far better than the OEM stuff.
    Quote Originally Posted by quickag View Post
    So I'm kind of fed up with the whole bottom bracket issue...I'm really hard on my stuff and I ride pretty much every day...rain or shine. My BB gets lots of abuse.

But I need a stupid stiff crank. My Rival/FSA hybrid is stiff enough, but it doesn't come in a square taper.

White Industries VBC?
    What else?

When are the CK bottom brackets for SRAM going to be released? Could I just buy a Shimano set and use the Hope shims to make the crank fit?

-dk

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Too Tall View Post
    Are you talking about a square taper PW BB? If you pair that with a nice DA square taper crank you'd be in fat city. It is not hard or expensive to find them.

My question for you is why bother? Stick with modern bits and you'll have less issues down the road.
    Why bother? Become some "modern bits" are purely craptastic? I'm thinking of those splined Shimano pipe billet bottom brackets that replaced the square taper in their line. Two generations and both were crap, now obsolete. How was that an improvement that provided "less issues down the road"?

I like your original suggestion: a Dura Ace square taper (or even a 600, they're perfectly fine) for a 130 crank, or if you're inclined (as I am) towards compact triples, the XTR M900 can't be beat. Match those up with a Phil or a Dura Ace bottom bracket and you're good to go -- and trouble free for a long time, too, I'll bet.

If that's "knuckle dragging" then count me as a knuckle dragger. Far better that than following the lemmings off the cliff yet again.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by palincss View Post
    Why bother? Become some "modern bits" are purely craptastic? I'm thinking of those splined Shimano pipe billet bottom brackets that replaced the square taper in their line. Two generations and both were crap, now obsolete.

octalink. i have them on 3 bikes.
    how are they crap?
    ive replaced 1 in 5-6 years?
    i think they are excellent.
    take 5 minutes to replace if needed.
    crap, really? ever have one?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Maybe we are confusing Octalink with ISIS?.....Most of the ISIS BB's were crap....

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

White Industries VBC?
    What else?

-dk
    I'm pretty sure there are also phil wood bearings available for most modern external bb's,
    I know there are for shimano cranks. FSA and Sram cranks have some pretty cheap-
    ass bearings in there from China. My preference would be to recommend shimano
    or campagnolo cranks over those from FSA or Sram... at the very least ditch the
    BB, and get a king, or upgrade the stock bearings.

-g

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by El Chaba View Post
    Maybe we are confusing Octalink with ISIS?.....Most of the ISIS BB's were crap....
    Ordinary octalink is on par with un54/72, the trouble starts if you 'upgrade' to DA ;)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by GrantM View Post
    I'm pretty sure there are also phil wood bearings available for most modern external bb's,
    I know there are for shimano cranks. FSA and Sram cranks have some pretty cheap-
    ass bearings in there from China. My preference would be to recommend shimano
    or campagnolo cranks over those from FSA or Sram... at the very least ditch the
    BB, and get a king, or upgrade the stock bearings.

-g
    Thanks G. Agree 110%. The external BBs offend me becuase any caveman can install them and there is no adjustment. No magic mojo, where have all the flowers gone? Sigh. Now you just torque everything together and you have a perfectly functioning drivetrain. Feh, where's the fun in that?

But hey I'm over it. They are just so d@mn easy to replace....bastids ;)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by marten View Post
    Ordinary octalink is on par with un54/72, the trouble starts if you 'upgrade' to DA ;)
    true
    the da was light but required way too mjuch effort. i used ultergra really..they worked great
    isis was problematic no doubt.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SteveP View Post
    true
    the da was light but required way too mjuch effort. i used ultergra really..they worked great
    isis was problematic no doubt.

There is also the dura-ace 7710 bb, that's basically indestructible.
    It's still widely available on the web, due to the fact that it's also
    the NJS track bb.... not to be confused with the loose bearing
    original 7700 version.

-g
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

White Industries VBC?
    What else?

-dk
    I too, like a stiff beefy crank with the simplicity of the square taper, I just recently made the leap to an Isis BB on one of my crossbikes but use the square taper everywhere else. I have been lusting after these for a while now, Maybe ever since someone here posted a link to them. I run a set of white industries SS cranks and think there is room for inprovement in the stiffness department, These might do it for you. http://www.marschall-framework.de/en...n/kurbeln.html

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't think a Phil bb implies any guarantee of no future problems anyway. I like them, but my experience hasn't been entirely positive.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've been running the White ind sq taper BB with the adjustable spindle (designed for chain line issues on single speed, but can be used on any square taper crank, no problem) for two years now. Perfect function, the lowest pedalling resistance of any BB I've ever heard of, easy maintenance with replaceable Enduro bearings, stiff, quiet, can't beat it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisH View Post
    I've been running the White ind sq taper BB with the adjustable spindle (designed for chain line issues on single speed, but can be used on any square taper crank, no problem) for two years now. Perfect function, the lowest pedalling resistance of any BB I've ever heard of, easy maintenance with replaceable Enduro bearings, stiff, quiet, can't beat it.
    If you start messing around with dial calipers and weights a big axle crank is much stiffer than a old fashioned square taper axle. Problem is I don't detect it on the bike

Another nice test is to put a stack of coins on the horizontal crank eye and see how much cash you need to get the crank to move. Modern big axles have huge sealdrag are strictly for the rich folks

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Third Seattle winter now under way with my 2007 Centaur external bb and no issues yet.

psst... Grant... anything other than Campy bearings that I should be buying when I finally service this thing?
    Dan Fuller, local bicycle enthusiast

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 72gmc View Post

psst... Grant... anything other than Campy bearings that I should be buying when I finally service this thing?
    nah, i think the campy bearings are great,
    and not that expensive, about $50 (including new seals)

I.D.:25mm
    O.D.:37mm
    Width:6mm