User Tag List

Thread: Boston Marathon results

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Boston Marathon results

Yuki Kawauchi wins the men's race in 2:15:54. Desiree Linden takes the woman's race in 2:39:54.

What a wet nasty day for a run. Lots of hypothermia to follow...
    Guy Washburn

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Boston Marathon results

I used to ride with a Dutch guy who ran a 2:17 that's wicked fast.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I stopped following running a year or more ago as I got deeper and deeper back into cycling - but that is just so awesome for Desiree on so many levels. Did Molly Huddle hold on to fourth too? An amazing finish for her as well...

To translate to cycling terms, her win is somewhat akin to if Taylor Phinney had won Roubaix this year.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Boston Marathon
    April 16, 2018
    Professional Women

Desiree Linden (USA) (2:39:54)
    Sara Sellers (USA) (2:44:05)
    Krista Duchene (CAN) (2:44:20)
    Rachel Hyland (USA) (2:44:29)
    Nicole Dimercurio (USA) (2:45:52)
    Shalane Flanagan (USA) (2:46:31)
    Kimi Reed (USA) (2:46:47)
    Edna Kiplagat (KEN) (2:47:14)
    Hiroko Yoshitomi (JPN) (2:48:29)
    Joanna Thompson (USA) (2:48:31)

Boston Marathon 2018
    April 16
    Professional Men

Yuki Kawauchi (JPN) (2:15:58)
    Geoffrey Kirui (KEN) (2:18:21)
    Shadrack Biwott (USA) (2:18:32)
    Tyler Pennel (USA) (2:18:57)
    Andrew Bumbalough (USA) (2:19:52)
    Scott Smith (USA) (2:21:47)
    Abdi Nageeye (NED) (2:23:16)
    Elkanah Kibet (USA) (2:23:37)
    Reid Coolsaet (CAN) (2:25:02)
    Daniel Vassallo (USA) (2:27:50)

I haven't seen any updates on Molly's race...
    Guy Washburn

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Did Mr. Danger Pants run? He's been running them for the last several.

If he did, we all owe him a hot beer. Or the hot beverage of his choice.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

One of my buddies ran a 3:10 today (20 minutes off his PR). He said the wind was 35 MPH in his face the entire time. Sounds awful.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not sure if any of you guys were there but the descriptions are correct. I was there and my daughter ran it. The weather was phenomenally bad. It was 36 degrees F when the race started with a sustained 20-25 mph headwind and nearly steady cold rain being driven into the faces of the athletes. The temp went up through the course of the day to 44 but the rain got more intense and the cold was inescapable. I thought early on that the weather was not going to favor the Kenyans and the Ethiopians because they don't tend to train in those brutally cold conditions. The wind was coming from that big winter storm which was swirling around a center so that the winds hitting the runners were coming off the ocean east to west. The marathon course goes in an almost straight line from west to east into the heart of Boston so there was a constant headwind - it never turned into a tailwind. Des Linden is super tough and a great athlete, she deserved the win for sure. My daughter crossed it off her bucket list and said, between shivers at the finish, "never again". She considers herself cursed because the marathon she qualified for Boston in had similar nor-easter weather with headwind and driving sleet.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm totally blown away by the women's second place finisher, Sara Sellers. She's a full-time nurse anesthetist from Utah, and was running only her second marathon ever. No sponsors, just training on her own time. Unreal.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wow, it was miserable. My commute home down the charles had windswell forming at the BU bridge, crazy headwind. Huge waves of rain. Some areas got 3-4" throughout the day and night.

Anyone notice second place in the womens? Sellars has apparently only done 1 other marathon, and is a full time nurse. Said she's going to use the 75g winnings to pay off her student loans.

On a side note, really wish they had better tracking systems, would have been cool to see a story line like that building through the race. Knowing the gaps and speeds would make it so much more interesting to watch. I'd love to know the speeds of the attacks, and the gaps that form.
    --------------------
    another jaunt
    REBAR

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Here's another thing - we tend to talk about winners and podium finishers. That's 100% fine and natural, we all do it including me. But while standing at the side of the course at the 20 mile mark (start of heart-break hill), and watching this huge number of tough, dedicated, runners go by in apparent agony with cold rain and wind in their faces but still pushing through to the finish, I realized just how tough these people are. That's the best of human nature - athletes that are not going to hit the headlines but persevered through the tough conditions to finish. It was a humbling experience and a credit to human nature in my mind.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dcama5 View Post
    Not sure if any of you guys were there but the descriptions are correct. I was there and my daughter ran it. The weather was phenomenally bad. It was 36 degrees F when the race started with a sustained 20-25 mph headwind and nearly steady cold rain being driven into the faces of the athletes. The temp went up through the course of the day to 44 but the rain got more intense and the cold was inescapable.
    So basically, with that wind, it's like they were in a slow bike race at those temperatures. That should have affected clothing choice.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by j44ke View Post
    Did Mr. Danger Pants run? He's been running them for the last several. If he did, we all owe him a hot beer. Or the hot beverage of his choice.
    Hey! I did not run this year but volunteered instead. I've run the Boston Marathon in some pretty bad weather (e.g. 2007 hurricane year) but this year was absolutely miserable so I'm happy I was a spectator. I stood out at the Dana-Farber Marathon Challenge Mile 25 cheering section for 3 hours to cheer on runners and was amazed at the perseverance of each and every participant. It was tough going out there. Interestingly enough, two of my former teammates set PRs and also chatted with a first time Boston runner at a bar post-race and she also got a PR. Anyway, here's a brief clip from the day that I took when the skies opened up:

Probably the most memorable moment was when I passed Hereford Street on the way back the Copley Marriott. It was carpeted with discarded ponchos. I actually walked back after passing by to take this in. I've never seen anything quite like it on race day.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by C.Dyer View Post
    I'm totally blown away by the women's second place finisher, Sara Sellers. She's a full-time nurse anesthetist from Utah, and was running only her second marathon ever. No sponsors, just training on her own time. Unreal.
    Seriously,

You read this? The Nurse Who Took a Very Different Route to 2nd Place in the Boston Marathon - The New York Times

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For the NY marathon, I guess there is a tradition of layering up with sweatshirts and sweatpants from Old Navy and other similar places, then shedding just before the start. The start area looks a tornado went through Bloomingdales afterwards. Afterwards the leftover clothing is collected and distributed to charities.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by j44ke View Post
    For the NY marathon, I guess there is a tradition of layering up with sweatshirts and sweatpants from Old Navy and other similar places, then shedding just before the start. The start area looks a tornado went through Bloomingdales afterwards. Afterwards the leftover clothing is collected and distributed to charities.
    Boston does the same thing with all the discarded clothing in Hopkinton.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes, especially in that type of weather! My daughter had an old thick sweatshirt that she found a couple months ago. She wore it to the start and then got rid of it when the marathon began. It's probably in some Salvation Army with the others like it.