User Tag List

Thread: Bont Vaypor S?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Bont Vaypor S?

My Sidi Genius 7 finally gave up the ghost today after many years of happy riding and a friend recommends the Bont Vaypor S. Any direct experience here? They look neat and I'm comfortable with the molding process.

I would ride these shoes about 150 times/year - average ride is 1:45ish but some long rides thrown in there as well. I almost never ride in the rain. Reasonably normal shaped feed - forefoot relatively wide and arches somewhat low but I'm not especially picky.

Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Bont Vaypor S?

Bont fit is rather particular. They work for me, but I'd recommend trying them on.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by theflashunc View Post
    Bont fit is rather particular. They work for me, but I'd recommend trying them on.
    Thanks - I should add that I did a pretty extensive forum search and it looks like folks with low arches struggle with them. Is that what you're referring to?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think you want to try them on because there can be shape variations between each shoe in a pair that can make one shoe not great while the other is fine in an area of the shoe where heat molding doesn't seem to make a difference, like in the toe area. A fabrication thing. And for the molding to work, the shoes have to fit your foot shape generally. The molding isn't necessarily a corrector for a complete shape mismatch.

But if they fit, they are amazing shoes. The shoe's stiffness is a real advantage. They just never fit me right, and I tried several models & several design iterations over time.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Definitely the left and right shoes can be different. And that means you can't just try them on and order the same size. You need to buy the pair you try on.

And I found the shape odd. To get the length for my other toes, I had to go with a pair too long. some things you can't heat mold away. Ebay bargain for someone.
    Colin Mclelland

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I agree with what others say- If the Bont shoe fits you well out of the box- It will be terrific after heat molding.

Heat molding does not really change the length of the shoe- But can change the spots where the side of your foot contacts the side of the "bath tub" sole. And you can re-mold multiple times and do spot molding with a heat gun if you are careful.

They can work well with high arched feet- Just not with a stock insole. The Bont insole is pretty thin and does not have a bunch of arch shape to it. But aftermarket insoles work well, and custom insoles also work well. You just need to make sure the sizing is correct for you with the desired insoles installed.

In terms of widths, they are about the only company who makes a wide shoe that is actually wider in the sole- not just a wider/higher volume last on a standard sole.
    I know people who swear by the wide version- same for the narrow version.

They are more stiff than just about any shoe- This can make it a great shoe for some and a poor shoe for others.
    For me- I have a hyper-mobile foot with a very high arch. Bont shoes have been a god send for me. I used Vapor S on the road and Vapor G off mtb and gravel.
    I love the fact that my road and dirt shoes are exactly the same in both fit and sole thickness.

Last thing to consider is saddle height. You will likely need to lower the saddle a decent amount coming from a Sidi shoe to a Bont.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by JoB View Post
    Thanks - I should add that I did a pretty extensive forum search and it looks like folks with low arches struggle with them. Is that what you're referring to?
    Partially. The natural arch in the sole is pretty aggressive to start, but the fit is also very different than other shoes. Lots of toe room that feels unnatural at first. You really need to mold to get the heel hold you're comfortable with.

They just take a very different tack to their sole design.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have high arches. Didn't like them. I find this mouldable thingy doesn't work too well either; I actually think it's nonsense.

I was willing to forgive its ugliness if the practical bits were rave worthy...
    Chikashi Miyamoto

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I recently went from Ergo 3 to Vapor T. I wore a snug 43 in Sidi, went to a 44.5 in Bont for a bit of toe wiggle room. Bont 43 were definitely the wrong size. I ordered both the Standard and Asian fit.

I have low volume feet and asked about volume. Bont responded that the Asian fit is "Bont Cycling shoes with our 'Asian fit' are wider in the forefoot area, feature a narrower heel cup in addition to a lower arch. They are not necessarily ‘low volume’."

Out of the box, I found the Asian fit to fit better. After some heat molding, the Standard fit started to fit better. I should spend a bit more time tweaking the Asian fit pair. On both pairs, I drilled a new hole to move the buckle further down the shoe to allow me to ratchet the straps tighter. It's pretty typical for me to run out of ratchet room on shoes, so it was nice to have a shoe that allowed me to reposition the buckle.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by defspace View Post
    I recently went from Ergo 3 to Vapor T. I wore a snug 43 in Sidi, went to a 44.5 in Bont for a bit of toe wiggle room. Bont 43 were definitely the wrong size. I ordered both the Standard and Asian fit.

I have low volume feet and asked about volume. Bont responded that the Asian fit is "Bont Cycling shoes with our 'Asian fit' are wider in the forefoot area, feature a narrower heel cup in addition to a lower arch. They are not necessarily ‘low volume’."

Out of the box, I found the Asian fit to fit better. After some heat molding, the Standard fit started to fit better. I should spend a bit more time tweaking the Asian fit pair. On both pairs, I drilled a new hole to move the buckle further down the shoe to allow me to ratchet the straps tighter. It's pretty typical for me to run out of ratchet room on shoes, so it was nice to have a shoe that allowed me to reposition the buckle.
    The BOA thread where we started discussing your Bont Riot MTB shoes reminded me that someone clued me in recently on the tool for reshaping the toe (and other areas) of the shoe where you might want a bit more space or a bulge outward. It is called a foot-fitter - a large pair of pliers with a ball end and a circle end. You heat the shoes and then use the foot-fitter to create the bulge. Seems to work well enough that if you have a longer second toe (index toe?) you can push the front of the shoe out enough in that spot to make it fit. That's evidently a common problem with Bont shoes, and the person who told me about the tool went to a shop fitting by a Bont rep and the rep had one of these pliers. Wish I had known.

Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Jorn, you're a shoe whisperer! Oddly enough, it's my 3rd and 4th (middle and ring?) toes that get a tiny bit of rub on one shoe, and that device looks like it would do the trick.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by defspace View Post
    Jorn, you're a shoe whisperer! Oddly enough, it's my 3rd and 4th (middle and ring?) toes that get a tiny bit of rub on one shoe, and that device looks like it would do the trick.
    Actually, I sold shoes in a former life! But these pliers definitely look like the stuff. Really hard to push out the toe space with anything else.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Damn. I just use my toe to do that. Seems to work fine.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Tom View Post
    Damn. I just use my toe to do that. Seems to work fine.
    Then I guess you must have strong toes. Or I was doing it wrong. I was never able to get the toe area of Bonts to budge.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah, my toes bent a long time before the shoes would move. I tried the back end of a screwdriver but it was hard to get that part to shift - it's my 4th toe that is the problem.

Really liked my old Vaypor's when I had them though - they cracked through the sole eventually but that was a couple of years after I had drilled extra holes in them.
    It's not the years, honey. It's the mileage.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

But it also could explain something. I think I started with ten toes, and I'm down to about seven now.
    Tom Ambros